9. On The Steps

Since Marcel got a clue of where I worked (in our last meeting), he pulls up without a problem.

As I'm reaching for the handle, he ridicules my hand, "Don't even try it." 

Am I being kidnapped? I rest it in my lap, holding my purse. I have pepper spray. He opens his car door and gets out. Okay, now I looked at your ass.

While I wait, my eyes bounce out the window. I spy Ella coming down the steps of my building. Bloody hell– I've been here for a few months. Now, look at me.

Marcel opens the door to let me out. As I take his outstretched hand, Ella's step skipping slows down. She gives a proud frown. She covers her expression with a folder as she turns the corner. Don't worry, she'll be back once Marcel leaves.

"Thank you." I step away from his car. "I can already feel my sugar rush."

"It'll get you through the day. Thank you for joining me. And look, you didn't have to kick my ass." He heads to the driver's side.

"Fortunate for you."

"I'll take it." He ducks into the Benz. Taking the rail, I do one final look over as he takes off.

"Okay, Ella. Come out. Come out, wherever you are." I stare to the sky as I wait for her to blow up.

"OoooOOoooo!" I hear her growing close. "Bitch!" She reveals herself with a smile wider than the sun. "Who's–" She turns around to snoop from behind the bushes. "That!" My best friend points down the street.

"A guy." I blow it off, knowing that she won't.

"What guy?" She jogs up the stairs. "Who's that? How come you've never talked about him?" Ella takes my wrist, shaking my arm.

"You're going to be late for work." I point to my car. "Why are you here?"

"You left your edits on the counter and I just wanted to drop them off. I called you, but I see you were occupied. Let's grab lunch?" She holds my hand with both of hers. "Please." She closes her eyes as she cheeses. Her childish ways draw up a smile on my face.

"Dinner. Trust me, it's no big deal. He's just a guy I bump into at the coffee shop."

"Now why would you go to the coffee shop if you make your own?" She purses her lips as she stretches her assuming neck.

"Lana was late this morning."

"Where's the coffee?" Her pucker is unfooled.

"Shit." I facepalm. "He- ugh." I groan.

"You're going to make me wait for the real tea?" She drops my hand to paint a pout and cross her arms.

"There's no teeeeea."

"Maybe not a cup, but I'm sure there's a kettle. He's hot."

"Whatever. I can't be late." I jog up the steps.

"With his little hipster, rocker look." Ella skips her way to my car. "His hair has more body than mine!" She shouts to me. "Ask him what he uses!" She calls over my open, car door.

"Thanks for the edits!"

"Thanks for making my morning." She finally gets into the ride and shuts the door. I sigh as I look down the street before jogging up the rest of the steps and starting my workday.

8 SHORT HOURS LATER

"I've been thinking about you all daaaaay." Ella claps. "Hello." She moves her purse by blindly throwing it into the back. "Welcome to your car." She accosts as I get in with a knowing smile.