Bath Time

Jade pulled her jacket on and zipped it up to keep the left sleeve from falling off her shoulder. She sighed as she glanced at her phone before putting it in her pocket. "I'm sorry I have to go so soon."

"Don't worry about it." I hated to see her go but her mother had been texting and calling her asking where she was. I didn't want her to get in any trouble. Trouble meant she couldn't see me as often and I didn't want that.

She stood and slung her bag over her good shoulder. "Thanks for having me over."

"I'm glad you could come." I said, smiling at her.

She smiled back and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I am too."

"Can you come over tomorrow?"

"What kind of tutor would I be if I didn't help you finish all your work?"

I laughed.

She leaned closer to me and my chest clenched. My breathing stopped and I stared up at her, waiting.

Do it. Kiss her.

I cupped her cheek in my hand and pressed my lips to hers. She was warm and sweet and salty. Her lips parted and her tongue lightly brushed itself on my lower lip.

A smile spread on my face but the good feeling didn't last long. She lost her footing and collapsed onto me, sending me back onto the bed. She fell on top of me, barely managing to catch herself before all of her weight fell on me.

I laughed and let my head fall back.

She exhaled loudly and rolled onto her back. "I'm so embarrassed."

I looked over at her. "Don't be. I'm not exactly coordinated anymore."

She brushed the hair from my forehead before kissing my cheek. "I can't say I ever was." She stood up once more and helped me sit up. This time, she managed to stay on her feet. "Thanks for today, Dyl. I had a really good time."

"Sorry to make you do all my homework."

"That's what friends do for each other." Friends? Friends? That's what she thought of us? After our kiss and the following motions? I was so bad at reading people.

I tried my best to smile without looking too hurt and let down. I didn't want her to really know how I felt. Not if she didn't feel the same.

"I-I'll see you tomorrow." She gave me one last smile before she walked out of the room.

I groaned and fell back onto the bed. I was such an idiot.

---

Any homework that required circling or matching, I finished, adding it to my pile of completed work. It felt good to finish the work and get caught up. I'd never been one to put work aside though I wasn't one to do this much in one sitting.

I was getting tired, even though homework was all I'd done that evening.

But I needed to shower or... bathe. Showering was out of the question. Even if I were to get prosthetics, I couldn't use them in the shower.

I wheeled myself across the hall and shut the bathroom door behind me. I pulled my sweatpants off and stared at my legs, surprised that they didn't look too awful. I still wasn't used to see them without bandages.

I pulled my shirt off and tossed the clothes into the hamper. I started the water and put the stop in. Then, with a long sigh, I moved myself into the tub. My hand slipped on the wet surface and I almost went down. Thankfully, my knees worked and I caught myself.

I let my head fall back on the ledge and squeezed my eyes shut. I wasn't sure I'd ever get used to this. But I'd have to do it, whether I wanted to or not.

My phone rang from on top of my towel and I glanced at it before answering. "Are you even home yet? Or did you miss me so much you just had to call on the drive home?"

She laughed and it took her several minutes to calm herself enough to speak. "I'm home. I'm working on some homework."

"I forgot you had some... I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it. It's just some religious readings. I'm having a hard time concentrating anyway."

"Why's that?"

"I'm thinking of you, idiot."

I laughed. "Right. Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm taking a bath now."

"A bath? Man, does that mean I'm gay then?"

My face heated up and I wanted to sink right under the water. Why did I have to tell her I was taking a bath? "Shut up. You know I can't stand for a shower."

"You could if you tried hard enough."

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm kidding! Don't take me seriously. I'm only joking with you. Like ninety-nine percent of the time."

"I'll remember that."

"I really just wanted to call and tell you that... I... I liked your kiss." She stuttered, sounding confused and nervous. I wasn't used to that from her. Not someone who was so confident and sure of herself.

"Yeah?" I said, surprised by her words. She'd pulled away so quickly and the air had been awkward following the kiss. I didn't think she liked it. I felt I'd made a huge mistake.

"Yeah." She spoke softly.

"So..." I bit down hard on my lip, not knowing why I'd said that. Was I waiting on her to say something more to me?

She laughed and I felt myself relax just a little. "So what?"

"Sorry. I just... don't know what to say."

"I think you do... But you're just too scared."

"What am I scared of?"

"I don't know. That's for you to tell me." She took a deep breath in. "Don't be afraid to tell me anything."

"I-I like you."

"I like you, too."

"No, I don't mean-"

"I didn't mean that either."

"So... um..." The bubbles in the water from the soap I'd thrown in were dissipating and I could see my legs through the water.

"Just ask me out, idiot." She laughed.

"D-do you want to go out with me?"

She laughed even harder. "Yes, of course."

"Okay."

"Enjoy your bath. I have to do this stupid homework tonight or I'll get canned."

"Don't say things like that when I'm naked."

"What, is your mommy washing you?"

I laughed. "Shut up."

"I'll see you tomorrow. Dressed, hopefully."

I rolled my eyes. "We'll see." The rest of my bath my face was red and it wasn't from the hot water.