Push

Quick author's note to get some things out!

So, I'm not all that familiar with amputees and prosthetics. If I get anything wrong or it could be described better, please message me and help me! I don't want to say the wrong thing or use incorrect terms. I want this story to feel real and for you all to connect with the characters.

Also, I have been going through some things and needed time away. I can't write properly when my head isn't in a good place. I am trying to build up some chapters so when I am away, I can still update but that takes time. Please know that I love this story and don't want to let you down!

---

Mom shook me awake, the bed dipping as she sat down on the edge. "Dylan, honey, it's time to get up."

I pulled the blanket over my face. "Give me another half hour."

"We have to leave in half an hour."

"Wake me up then."

She laughed and pulled the blanket away. "I thought you would be excited for today."

I opened an eye to look at her. "I feel like I could throw up."

She patted my arm then got up and walked over to my dresser of clothes. Some were hanging out and even on the floor. Ever since I'd gotten out of the hospital, I stopped cleaning my room and putting things away properly. It could have also been Jade's fault for distracting me so often. "This place is a mess, Dylan. Am I going to have to ground you so you'll get it cleaned up?"

I sat up and ran my hand through my hair. "I can't do my homework and clean at the same time. I only have one hand."

She tossed a t-shirt at me. "Just get ready. I don't want to be late."

I rolled my eyes as she left the room and pulled my shirt over my head.

---

Mom took my hand and helped me catch my balance. "You doing okay?"

I bit my lip. I was still wobbly on my feet. Well... my prosthetics. It was something I was going to have to get used to. It wasn't the same as walking normally, which threw me off every time I went to take a step. It might have been easier had my legs extended beyond my knees but they didn't.

"I need to get the hang of it. It feels weird."

She gave my hand a squeeze, staying patiently by my side as I took each step. The doctor only wanted me to go to the bed of the hall and back, not pushing myself any harder than necessary. He didn't want me to get too excited and hurt myself.

Slowly but surely we made it back to the small waiting room we had started in. Mom helped me ease into my wheelchair. While it was awkward and uncomfortable, I was glad I didn't just fall into it.

"Do you notice any pain or discomfort?"

I shook my head. Underneath the prosthetic was a synthetic gripper that held the prosthetic in place so it wouldn't slide right off my leg. It still felt like it could at any moment but I knew it was just my nerves and uneasiness convincing me otherwise.

He nodded and turned to mom. "Don't let him push himself too hard. Gradually work to using them more often."

I held back a smile. "That's easier said than done."

The doctor smiled back and walked over to the door. "Remember what I said and you won't have any problems."

I glanced up at mom as the door shut and we were left in the room by ourselves. "Do you think we could stop and pick up Jade on our way home?"

"I thought maybe you'd wait a while before you told her."

I shrugged. "I think she might be excited."

"Just her, right? Not you?"

I felt my cheeks redden and I avoided her gaze. "Exactly."