Pretty and Smart

I was having a hard time focusing the next day. None of my classes were interesting enough to focus on. Jake was doing all my work for me so my mind had plenty of time to wander.

I kept thinking of Jade and if we would manage to get any homework done. Would she want to just make out the whole time-

I was so stupid. Why would she want to do that? She had homework and I had my own. There was no way she would want to just lay around and make out with me. After the night prior, would she want to even try to kiss me?

It wasn't until the end of the day that a teacher called on me. Thankfully, it was after the rest of the class had left and I was turning in my papers. I'd finished most of them and wanted to turn in what I could. I didn't want any of my teachers to take pity on me or think I wasn't capable of doing my work. It might not have been right but I did it, mostly, and was proud of that.

My Spanish teacher, Ms. Hansen, stopped Jake and I before we could leave. "Dylan, did you complete this work on your own?"

I almost rolled my eyes. "That's my handwriting on the top."

Jake laughed behind me.

"Did you help... whoever do the work?"

"If you grade it, I'm sure you'll find some answers are wrong. Just like usual."

She smiled and put the paper back down on the stack. "Alright. Do you need any more time to work on the assignments? We have a test coming up but I can always move the date for you-"

"No, I can take it with everyone else."

"If you need any extra help, feel free to ask me. I don't want you getting behind."

I nodded.

"See you tomorrow, Ms. Hansen." Jake said, practically kissing her ass like the brown-noser he was.

She waved to the two of us before starting to grade my work, a red pen in her hand.

Jacob lead me out of the room and into the hallway. Most of the kids had left and were on buses, waiting to get home. "Did you do any of that work?"

I sighed. "You don't believe me, either?"

He shrugged as he stopped at my locker and put in the combination he already had memorized. He opened it and stuffed the books inside. "You're not one for homework."

"Well I did it. Jade and I-"

"So you did homework instead of... her?" He asked, looking down at me.

"You don't have to put it that way." My face flushed and I was sure he noticed it.

He laughed and stuffed a binder into my backpack. "Is that a yes then? I didn't think you were that lame."

"Whatever."

"Are you seeing her again today?"

"Yeah."

"Another study date?" He zipped up the backpack and slung it over his shoulder.

"You should be glad I'm even doing my homework. If I really wanted, I could just make you do it all."

"You'd have to pay me a lot." He pushed me towards the door.

"How are things with you and Bria?"

He sighed. "Can we not talk about my relationship?"

"No, we have to. I can't keep mine a secret so neither can you."

"With everything going on I haven't been able to spend much time with her. I didn't want to bring her home with Emma there and mom isn't letting me stay out late anymore. She wanted to end things the other night but I managed to get a few more days to sort things out between us."

"Forget about mom and just stay out. You know she won't ground you for it."

"She went off on me the other night." He cleared his throat. "Anyway, you need me so I can't really-"

"Jake, I'm fine. I'm not dying. Mom will get over it."

He sighed but said nothing more.

Like she usually was, Jade was waiting on the sidewalk. Today, she was sitting on the edge, reading a paperback book. She looked up when she heard us.

"Hey, Dyl. Jakey."

Jake sighed and put the backpack on the back of my wheelchair. "Hi, Jade."

She giggled and took his place.

He went to his car so fast you'd have thought he was in cross country or something. He really missed his calling.

"What were you two talking about?" She asked, pushing me down the path of the sidewalk winding around the parking lot.

"His girlfriend."

"He has a girlfriend?"

I laughed. "I know. It's hard to believe. Her name's Bria."

"Is she pretty?"

"I guess. She's in all of Jake's college classes."

"A girl can't be pretty and smart?"

I shrugged. "They can. It's just... surprising to see him with a girl like her."

"Shut up, Dyl. You're only making it worse."

"No, I'm not."

She leaned down to see my face. "You're an idiot but you have me. That contradicts itself."

"Why do you say that?"

"I'm pretty and smart."

"Who told you that?" I asked in a whisper.

She smiled and stood back up. "An idiot."