Overprotective

"Are you absolutely sure your mom won't let you come over?" I asked Jade. I tried not to sound too upset but I was hoping she would be able to hang out. Usually when I asked, she came over. She hardly ever had any plans of her own.

She sighed and her shoulders dropped. "My mom thinks we spend too much time together. She's worried I'll get pregnant or something."

I laughed. "Or something? What's worse than getting pregnant?"

"Getting married, maybe."

"Do you ever want to get married?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. It kind of seems overrated."

I was surprised to see her against marriage, or at least not excited about it. I knew that marriage wasn't for everyone. My parents had separated not long after Mel was born and we hardly saw dad after. We tried making holidays work but dad stopped putting in any effort and we stopped wanting to see him. Mel doesn't even remember him.

She looked at the screen and laughed. "Don't take me so seriously, Dyl. I'm not the biggest fan of marriage but it doesn't mean I don't want to ever get married."

I rolled onto my side and propped my phone up with my extra pillow. "I hate the thought of your mom trying to push you away from me."

"Do you really think anything she does or tries to do will keep me away?"

"Your mom seems really... intense. I wouldn't put it past her to push you to the point that you think she's right."

"Are you on drugs? There's no way anything my mother says will convince me not to be with you."

I shook my head slowly at her. "You never cease to amaze me."

She smiled. "Good. I never want to be boring."

"I-"

Someone knocked on the door. Mom poked her head in. "Hey, sweetie. I made breakfast. Do you want to come eat?"

"Sure. Can you give me a few minutes?"

"I'll keep it warm for you."

When I looked back at my phone, Jade was smiling at me. Her hair was draped over one side of her face. I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not but I really liked it.

"You better go. I wouldn't want to hold you up from breakfast."

I rolled my eyes at her. "I'll call you later."

She rolled onto her back, the phone moving as she did. "I'll be waiting."

I hung up and groaned into my pillow. I knew mom was waiting on me for breakfast and I'd already told her I would go. But seeing Jade... And she looked so hot...

I sometimes hated the fact that I was a teenage boy. Getting horny wasn't as easy as it was for girls. At least they could hide it.

I rolled onto my stomach completely, threw the comforter over my head, and stuck my hand down my pants.

---

"Is Jade coming over today?" Mom asked. She held a mug of coffee in her hands, a plate of half-eaten pancakes in front of her.

I shook my head and stretched my hand over my plate to grab the glass of orange juice sitting in front of me. My spot at the table was left open and without a chair since I didn't need one. Obviously.

Mom's eyebrows scrunched together. "Does she have any plans?"

"Her mom won't let her come over."

"Why?"

I shrugged. "She said her mom thinks she's spending too much time with me."

Melody giggled. "She is over here a lot."

"I didn't think it was a bad thing. But I guess her mom doesn't want her spending so much time away anymore."

"Maybe she just misses Jade and wanted to spend time with her."

I choked on my orange juice. "Her mom is crazy."

"Crazier than mom?" Melody asked.

Mom sighed. "There's nothing wrong with being protective over your children."

"Keep telling yourself that."