CPS

Mom nudged my shoulder, kneeling beside the couch. She had a gray sweatshirt on and light faded jeans. Her hair was pulled back in a neat ponytail. "Dylan, honey, you need to wake up."

I pulled the blanket up to my face and tried to hide from the sunlight coming in the windows and from mom trying to wake me up.

She sighed. "Dylan, this is really important. I need you to wake up and listen."

I rubbed my eyes with my bad arm, my sweatshirt scratching against my face. "What is it?"

"I got a call from the local police station. There have been some issues with Jade and her mother. Jade has requested to temporarily stay with us while things get sorted out."

I pushed myself into a sitting position, pushing the blanket away. "What issues? What does this mean?"

"Child protective services have been called and intervened. It seems Jade's mother..." She stopped and pursed her lips, clearly not wanting to tell me anymore.

"What do we..."

"I have to go into town and pick her up. Get dressed and use your prosthetics. Jade's going to need you."

My forehead scrunched.

She squeezed my shoulder. "This is about her right now. Come on. We need to get going."

I nodded and pulled my wheelchair close to the couch. I was still tired and needed more sleep but mom was right. Jade needed us and it had to be my priority to be there for her.

After changing into a clean sweatshirt and putting my prosthetics on, I walked out of the house and got into the passenger side of the car.

Mom gave me an uneasy smile before she pulled into the road and headed for the police station.

---

Mom made me wait in the car when she pulled up to the police station. She didn't need to worry about me tripping and falling while trying to figure out what happened with Jade and her mom.

I couldn't believe anything so severe had happened between them. Jade always said her mom was crazy and strict. I never thought she'd hurt Jade in any way. It couldn't really be happening, could it?

Jade and mom walked out the main door and my chest tightened. I had no idea what to say to Jade to make her feel better. I wasn't sure anything could make her feel better. She was going through a lot and words maybe weren't the best thing in that moment.

Jade had a duffle bag thrown over her good arm, her hair pulled back in a sloppy ponytail. She looked tired and when she got into the car silently, I knew she just wanted to go to sleep.

"Hey." I said softly, silently cursing myself for not knowing what to say.

"Are you gonna say I told you so?"

I frowned. Did she really think I was that cold? "No."

She didn't say anything more and the car ride was silent. I hated thinking I'd made Jade mad. I didn't want her to hate me like she hated her mom.