Velcro and Zippers

Someone shook my shoulder, breaking me from the peaceful sleep I was having. I wasn't ready to wake up just yet.

I rolled onto my stomach and pulled the blanket up until it covered almost all of me.

But it was short-lived. The blanket was pulled back and tossed onto the floor, leaving me laying in my bed in just a pair of boxers.

I lazily opened my eyes to see Jade standing by the bed. She was wearing one of my sweatshirts.

She smiled at me. "Good morning."

I pushed myself into a sitting position and rubbed my eyes with my hand. "What time is it?"

"Almost ten. I thought maybe you want to see what it looks like in the mornings on a Sunday."

"You're not funny."

"I think I am." She went to my dresser and tossed a pair of khaki shorts at me. Then a black t-shirt followed. "Get dressed. I want to do something today."

I quickly put my clothes on before moving to the edge of the bed. She handed me my prosthetics from under the bed and helped me put the right one on. "What did you have in mind?"

She shrugged a shoulder. "I was thinking we could go for a walk. It's a nice day out."

I eyed her as she made sure the shoelaces were tied. I wasn't sure how she could do it with one hand but she'd been doing it with one hand her whole life. I was the one who hadn't. "A walk?"

She looked up at me and I saw a tinge of sadness in her eyes. "I just don't want to sit around today. I need to do something."

"Is everything okay?"

"My mom and I aren't getting along right now." She pursed her lips and focused on my prosthetic, rather than our conversation. That gave me the hint that she didn't want to go into anymore detail.

So I changed the subject. "How do you tie shoes with only one hand?"

It seemed like changing the subject was the right move. A smile spread on her face. "I used to do it with my teeth but I couldn't get over how gross shoes smelled. So I learned how to move my fingers. It's sort of like when you spin a pencil between your fingers. It's all about control."

"That still sounds really hard."

"That's why I wear shoes with zippers."

I rolled my eyes and took her outstretched hand that was helping me stand up. "Zippers and velcro are for old people."

She lifted her foot to show the black boots she was wearing. They didn't go past her ankles and had no heel but they were cute. She was cute. "I'm not old yet."

"It's easy for girls. All the shoes I own have laces."

"Then you better start practicing."

"Only if you help me."

She smiled as she took my hand and led me from the room. I didn't have any difficulties following her though I attributed it to the fact that she was holding onto me.

Jake was sitting on the couch watching TV when we got to the living room. There was a girl with wavy blonde hair sitting beside him. She was laying on the couch with her head in Jake's lap. I'd never seen him do that with Bria, so I was kind of surprised to see it happening with a new girl.

I followed Jade to the living room and raised my eyebrows at her. "You didn't think to tell me Jake had a girl over?"

She smiled. "Nope."

I opened the fridge and handed Jade a soda before grabbing one for myself. "Are you going to go talk to her?"

"That was the plan." I was starting to think it was a good thing that she talked so openly to people. She was so friendly. It made it easier for her, and myself, to meet new people.

I watched as she walked into the room and sat down on one of the chairs across from the couch. I saw Jake move and knew he was already cringing at what Jade might say.

"I'm Jade. I'm Dylan's girlfriend. Who are you?"

I lifted my can to my mouth and used my teeth to open the tab of the can. I knew I probably shouldn't have used my teeth but it was harder without two thumbs. Everything was harder without two thumbs.

"I'm Cassie."

"Are you two dating?"

The girl sitting with Jake laughed, something Bria hardly ever did. "Yeah."

Jade took a sip of her soda and looked at me from across the room. "For how long?"

She sat up and brushed her hair from her eyes. "A couple weeks, I guess. I'm not good with numbers."

"We started dating on the eleventh." Jake said, his voice growing quiet as he realized we were all watching him.

Jade stood. "Well it was nice to meet you. We were going to go for a walk if you wanted to join us."

Cassie laughed. "Jake and I were going to watch movies today. But thanks."

"Don't let him bore you to death."

I set my soda on the counter and Jade did the same as she came to stand beside me. I was just reaching the door when Cassie spoke again.

"Can you get my chair for me? I have to go to the bathroom."

Jake stood and pulled a wheelchair over from beside the couch. I wasn't sure if I thought it was mine or just didn't see it but it kind of surprised me. When I looked at it closer, I realized it was different than mine.

Cassie lifted herself off the couch and into the chair, pulling her legs so they fit inside the wheels. I knew it was probably obvious but I couldn't stop staring.

Aside from Jade, I wasn't used to other handicapped people. Jade was so different considering she could walk. Meeting someone who was more like me almost threw me off.

Jade tugged on my hand and pulled me out of the house before my staring became an issue and I was glad she did. I didn't want to make Cassie feel uncomfortable. I didn't want her to hate being at the house with Jake.

"Way to be obvious." Jade said as she helped me down the stairs.

I paused when I got down the last step. I wasn't expecting Jade to sound angry or be mad at me. I didn't think I'd done anything wrong. "What are you talking about?"

She turned around and stuck her hand in the pocket of the sweatshirt she was wearing. "People don't like being stared at."

"I wasn't-"

"You were, Dyl. Just because you're handicapped too doesn't mean you can stare at others."

"I'm sorry."

"Do you stare at me, too?"

I shrugged. "I mean, kind of. But that's because I think you're pretty."

She sighed and looked at her feet rather than at me. "I hate when people stare. I already know I'm different. I don't like being reminded of it all the time."

I wrapped my arms around her and let her put her head on my shoulder. "I get that. I'm sorry if I ever made you feel that way."

She relaxed but not completely. "This is normal to me but I know it isn't for everyone else."

She had no idea how true that was for me. Maybe the opposite considering I hadn't grown up handicapped.

"And... I know that you're still figuring things out and this is new to you. I'm sorry if I'm rushing you through this."

I shook my head but the lump in my throat said otherwise.

She looked up at me and I faked a smile so she wouldn't know what I was thinking. "I want to help you get through this."

I put my forehead on hers and kissed her. "Thank you."