New Boyfriend

The door closing woke me up from my sleep. Jade was still laying on me, her arm wrapped around me. She was still asleep so I found it hard to sit up even the slightest bit.

Mom was talking to someone, laughing occasionally. It sounded a little... flirtatious.

A man sat down at the table in the kitchen. I didn't recognize him.

I shook Jade awake and gestured for her to keep quiet.

She scrunched her eyebrows up.

"Do you think you could go into the kitchen and get a drink or something?"

"Eavesdrop and see who he is? I get it but why me?"

"I'm still not used to my wheelchair. I might get stuck in a conversation."

She smiled, her eyes still tired. "Fine." She got up and headed for the kitchen. When she saw mom and the guy, she pretended to be startled by their presence. "Oh, I hope I'm not intruding. I just wanted something to drink, if that's alright."

Mom smiled at her, her cheeks flushed. "No, go ahead, sweetie. Luke, this is my son's girlfriend, Jade. Jade, this is Luke."

He waved at her and she waved back before opening the fridge.

"Which son?"

"Dylan. He's my younger son."

The guy nodded. "Right, right. I remember now."

Jade smiled as she passed and sat down on the ottoman beside me. "He's cute."

I rolled my eyes.

She giggled and handed me one of the drinks she had tucked in the crook of her arm. "I'm happy for your mom. Mine would never go on a date with anyone."

"Have you tried setting her up?"

"She doesn't want a boyfriend. She spends so much of her time worried about me. She wouldn't have time for a boyfriend anyway."

"How does she let you over here all the time if she's up your butt all the time?"

"I sneak out."

"Doesn't she find out?"

She shrugged. "It doesn't stop me."

I sat up, a grin on my face. "You really are a bad child."

She smiled back. "And proud of it."

Jake walked out of his room and sat down on the loveseat. There were black circles under his eyes. "Who's the guy?"

"Mom's new boyfriend."

His eyebrows raised. "Boyfriend?"

Jade giggled. "He's cute."

Both Jake and I rolled our eyes.

Mel walked out from her room, rubbing her eyes. She was still in her pajamas but was missing a sock.

Jake raised his eyebrows at me before calling Mel over to us.

She sat on the edge of the loveseat. "Stop staring at me."

"We need you to do something for us." Jake said.

"What?"

"Go to the kitchen and ask mom if that guy is her boyfriend."

She pushed her hair out of her face. "Mom doesn't have a boyfriend."

"That's what you need to find out for us."

"Why?"

"Jake will give you five dollars." Jade said, grinning at him.

"What?"

I laughed and took a sip of my drink. "Go ahead, Mel. Then that five dollars is yours."

Before Jake could protest any further, Mel slipped off the cushion and headed into the kitchen.

Jake narrowed his eyes at Jade. "You owe me five bucks."

She took a sip of her drink. "She's your sister."

I turned the TV on and put my arm around Jade. I loved how easily Jade fit into our family. She could joke around with Jake and talk to Melody like she'd known them for a long time. Like they were close. I hoped she noticed it, too.

Mel laughed and ran into the living room. She jumped up onto the couch beside Jade. "I want my money now."

"What'd you find out?"

"They are dating. I think mommy was embarrassed."

Jade patted Mel's leg. "Good work, kid."