ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 7

Crouching, Optimus's eyes were settled on the mouse that was a fox-lengths away from him. Carefully placing his paws, he stalked forward. Once he was close enough, he pounced. While he expected to slam his paw down onto the mouse, he wasn't expecting his paw to land on nothing.  Blinking, his eyes tracked the mouse as it raced to a hole in the ground.

"Nice try, Optimus."

Optimus straightened himself as watched as Twigbranch padded out from behind the bushed, Lionblaze and Sparkpelt following behind. Optimus noted that the two ginger cats had prey in their jaws.

"Forgive me," he meowed, his gaze landing on Twigbranch, "it seems I'm not much of hunter."

Sparkpelt's gaze lit up at she and Twigbranch exchanged glances. Optimus watched the two she-cats before he tilted his head at them.

"You do plan on staying with us, don't you?" Sparkpelt asked, her green gaze growing brighter with mischief by the moment.

"For as long as I need," Optimus answered.

He could feel his fur rising as Sparkpelt and Twigbranch seemed to have this silent conversation. His spark pulsed in his chest and it made the prime feel a bit on edge.

"Well, let's talk to Bramblestar about getting you a mentor," Sparkpelt gave a purr. 

Optimus could've been fooled at her tone- the she-cat had a plan of some sort and Optimus knew this all too well. He merely nodded as he watched the three cats turn and begin padding towards camp. Optimus watched them go, his gaze then turning to the border he was near. He paid no attention to the WindClan side however, his gaze was looking to were the Moonpool was. His spark was being tugged to the water source and Optimus had a feeling his questions were waiting to answered.

"Optimus!"

He snapped his head towards the others, seeing that Sparkpelt had stopped and was looking at him.

"I'm coming," He meowed as stood, turning and moving towards them.

xxxx

Optimus was a bit suspicious when Sparkpelt had told him to wait outside of the leader's den while she would speak with Bramblestar. Optimus wanted to like Bramblestar, but something about the other leader had him feeling like he shouldn't trust him. The prime knew that the ThunderClan leader was just looking out for his clanmates, just as Optimus was with his family. 

"Optimus."

Turning his head, he saw Bramblestar and Sparkpelt move down from the rock. The smug look on Sparkpelt's features made Optimus feel a bit more nervous.

"Sparkpelt has been telling me about your lacking skills in hunting," Bramblestar meowed. "I do agree with her, you would do well to learn how to hunt if you're going to stay here."

Optimus knew he was right, though the tone in Bramblestar's voice made Optimus flatten his ears.

"I'll give you a mentor," Bramblestar meowed, his head turning, "Rosepetal!"

Blinking, Optimus looked to where the cream she-cat was. Rosepetal seemed a bit uneasy as she padded over. Optimus then looked to Bramblestar, spotting Sparkpelt's glimmering eyes.

Did she just... Optimus narrowed his eyes.

"Rosepetal, you've done well mentoring many apprentices," Bramblestar meowed, "I hope you can teach Optimus."

Rosepetal stared at her leader blankly before her eyes flashed briefly with anger. Optimus's spark twisted in his chest, a strange emotion as well as guilt running through him.

"I'll do my best," Rosepetal meowed before she looked to Optimus. "Come with me."

Optimus glanced to Bramblestar, but did as he was told. Rosepetal lead him to the other side of camp, where she seemed to let out the anger that she was holding in by growling. Optimus watched her before he looked to the ground.

"I understand that you can't go against your leader," he spoke softly, "you don't need to -"

"I'm not angry at you," Rosepetal meowed, her amber eyes shining again. "I'll be happy to train you."

Optimus's spark seemed to untwist at her words and he felt relieved.

"We start training tomorrow," she meowed, moving to pad away. "Get some rest."

Optimus let a purr rise in his throat as he watched her go. He actually couldn't wait and he wasn't sure if his feelings were good or bad.