14

Ellie

Finn: You two are so busted.

Ellie: Excuse me?

Finn: I found not one, not two, but THREE french fries in the car!

I roll my eyes and open my locker, ignoring the text from Finn until I feel my phone vibrate once more in my hand.

Oh hell no.

Kit: That was Ellie. I told her the rules, but she said she's above the law.

Ellie: Are you seriously trying to throw me under the bus right now? You're the reason we dropped them in the first place!

Finn: I don't care who is to blame, but someone is cleaning this car. I can see crumbs everywhere!

Kit: It's not that bad. Stop being so dramatic.

Finn: You broke the rules, you pay the price. No more eating in the car.

Kit: Considering that we've been eating in the car at least three times a week for months now and only just now dropped something, I think we should get to keep our privileges.

Finn: You've been doing what? You never had any privileges to begin with

"You're going to cause him to have aneurysm." I say, locking my phone and sliding it in my back pocket before I toss my books into my locker and close the door, only to come face to face with Kit who is grinning at his phone screen.

"He acts like it's his car. It's our car, I get to have a say in what we can and can't do in it." He counters as he types out a reply, seconds later my phone vibrates with the notification, but I ignore it.

"Well, since Finn took the car and we're stuck here for lunch, how about you buy me a salad for old times sake?" I flash him a smile as I start to walk towards the Cafeteria.

"Does it count as old times sake if it was only a few months ago?" He follows after me, putting an arm around my shoulder once he catches up.

"Well...it was in the past, so yes." I nod, leaning into his side as we walk. Ever since that night at The Barn, Kit has been more open about us. He doesn't care as much if people stare or think that we're an item, he just lets them speculate and watch from afar without a care.

"I really regret saying that I enjoy buying you lunch. It's starting to add up." He says teasingly, as we get closer to the double doors.

"No you don't." I look up and see him already looking down at me, that smirk that seems to always be plastered on his face aimed right at me.

"You're right." He places a kiss on the top of my head before opening the doors for me and dropping his arm from my shoulders as we enter the Cafeteria and he buys our lunch.

We make our way out to the quad and join Maci and Gwen at our usual table, Kit sitting silently beside me as Gwen talks about how hard it is being class president during homecoming season. "Are you two going to the dance?" She asks, pointing her fork at Kit and I before putting it in her mouth and chewing as she waits for our answer.

"Uhh -" I look to Kit for help but he's staring at his tray as if he didn't hear the question. "No?" It comes out as a question even though I don't mean for it to. Kit doesn't like to partake in social events, especially ones at school, so I assume that we will not be attending the homecoming dance together, though I have no idea why he is ignoring the topic.