15

Kit

"I can't believe you're actually here, man." The scent of alcohol invades my senses as Parker claps a hand down on my shoulder. I give him a tight lipped smile as I grip Ellie's hand a little tighter. Parker winks at the two of us before throwing his arm over Finn's shoulders and pulling him towards the gym doors, where the homecoming dance is just getting started.

"Just for a few minutes, then it's sweatpants, pizza, and movies." Ellie says low enough for only me to hear as she pulls me along after Finn and the rest of our friends. Things like this used to be so easy for me, I was at every party, spent my Friday nights on a field or a court, and was always with a group of friends. Now though, after spending a year isolated from everyone and everything, it's made me forget how to act - how to enjoy the moment and activity.

As we enter the gym, I'm immediately aware of all the eyes on me and all the whispers of my name. It's nothing new, people have been staring and whispering for months now about Ellie and I. Everyone is trying to figure out the mystery of Kit Kennedy and the allure of the new girl. I've heard some pretty wild theories, some of which I know that my brother started, but none of them are even close to the truth.

Tonight though, the stares are different because I'm at a social event - one that I don't have to be at. My name is on the homecoming ballet and they think this is my comeback. Everyone in this gym, even Parker, thinks that this is the night I say hello and dance with my old friends. They think I'll be their king and take back the kingdom, but that's not what this is and I don't know if I'll ever be that person again.

Last year taught me a lot, and having people that don't know the real me follow me around as if I'm some sort of leader is not something I'm interested in anymore. Popularity isn't important, votes for this stupid crown aren't important, winning games and getting drunk every weekend, none of that really matters.

"You two want something to drink?" Finn turns back to ask, just as a new group of people come to welcome him to the party. Finn has always been the more social of the two of us, the class clown, the life of the party. I've never envied him for that, I actually enjoyed having him always be there to take some of the attention off of me, and he clearly lives for it.

Forgetting all about Ellie and I, Finn is whisked away into the crowd by his friends and we take that as our cue to begin the first phase of our plan. "Ready to do some laps?"

"Let's go be seen."

After walking around the gym five times and being seen by almost every set of eyes there, Ellie and I sneak out the back and take off running towards her car, which she and Parker dropped off earlier in the day since we were riding to the dance with Finn and would need a means of escape.

Thirty minutes later, with a pizza in hand that Ellie had cleverly placed an online order for while we were in the car with Finn, she pulls her car into my driveway. Thankfully neither my mom or grandmother are home tonight, so we don't have to explain to anyone why we we're home so early.

While Ellie is upstairs in my room changing, I get us some drinks and carry the pizza into the living room. As I'm setting up a movie, Ellie comes into the room wearing leggings and one of my old t shirts. I almost laugh at the sight of the of the shirt, it seems like forever ago before the number 12 was displayed across my back - admittedly, it looks a lot better on her though. "Where did you find that?"

"It was in your closet. I seem to have accidentally packed two pairs of leggings and no shirt. Is it okay that I borrow this?"

"Yeah. Keep it, looks better on you anyway."

"Okay, stop flirting and go change. I'll finish getting the movie ready." She pushes me playfully as she steps around me, but I catch her off guard when I catch her arm and pull her towards me. I can see her surprise and amusement looking back at me in the crystal clear color of her eyes, and for a moment that's all I can see - that clear sky in her eyes. "I said stop flirting."