Chapter Nineteen: Missing Parents

Soomi's POV

It's been a long time now and we're already on the last stop of our tour, China. I've been really tired these days from doing sound checks, giving some attention to Hoseok, and performing every night in a different city. Tonight was no different than any other night.

"Soomi!"

I instantly woke up from a short nap on my dressing room chair. I looked up and saw my make-up artist, Jihyun shaking my shoulders.

"There's only 10 minutes left until you go on stage. No time for naps." She said, fixing my hair.

I yawned and nodded.

"Don't yawn too much! Your lipstick, for heck's sake!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry!" I yelled back at her, getting annoyed.

The door opened and Alex peeked inside.

"Hey girl!" She smiled, closing the door behind her.

I waved at her, adding a little grin.

"We're almost on, so let's go backstage." She pointed her thumb to the door.

"In a minute, I wanna call my parents before we perform." I took out my phone and waved it at her.

"Okay, make it quick." She said and then left.

Jihyun finished with my hair and gave me an encouraging pat on the shoulder.

"You're gonna shine tonight." She grinned at me through the mirror.

I shyly smiled back and said my thanks to her.

When Jihyun left, I called my mom.

Throughout these years, my parents and I were at peace with each other. They know what I do now and they're very proud of me. They apologized for not giving me a lot of love when I was still with them. Mom and dad also fixed their differences and are practically in love with each other again.

The other line was ringing, but no one answered.

"That's weird, mom always picks up." I frowned at my phone and tried calling again.

Sorry, the number you have dialed is unattended or out of coverage area. Please try—

I ended the call, realizing that mom won't pick up any time soon. I'll just call after the concert.

-----

The next day...

Sorry, the number you have dialed is unattended or out of coverage area. Please try again later.

Sorry, the number you have dialed is unattended or out of coverage area. Please try—

Sorry, the number you have dialed—

Sorry, the number—

Sorry—

The same response is what I get every time I try to call mom and dad. They're both not answering.

I was getting really worried about them. What if something happened? What if one of their bodies was thrown on a ravine like what happened to one of the Chiong sisters?! What if they were shot in their sleep like Emma Walker?! What if mom was shot and dad was trapped in the attic like that woman who trapped her lover inside her attic for 10 years in 1900 something?!

I was hyperventilating when I felt soft hands on my shoulders. I flinched and turned around, seeing Hui.

"What happened? You're so cold and you're shaking, Soomi!" He said, making me sit down and offered me a glass of water.

I drank it slowly and looked at him in the eyes.

"My mom and dad haven't picked up their phones ever since yesterday! I'm afraid that something bad happened to them." I cried, gripping onto the glass tightly.

"Hey hey hey, sssshhh." Hui shushed me and caressed my hair. "I'll help you look for them. Don't worry, everything will be alright."

I silently cried to myself while Hui just stayed close to me.

Suddenly, my phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Soomi! Thank goodness you answered your phone."

"Hoseok?" I felt relieved to hear his voice, again. "What's wrong?"

"Your mom and dad....they..."

"They what?!" I demanded, making Hui flinch beside me.

"They...have gone missing."

My heart dropped to my stomach. I froze in my spot as more tears ran down my cheeks.

"Babe? Hello? Are you still there, jagi?"

I came to my senses and remembered that I was talking to my boyfriend on the phone.

"Ye..yeah. I'm here." My voice cracked as I responded.

"Don't worry, babe. I'm doing everything I can to find them. I told the police about this, and they're currently working on it too."

"Thank you, Hoseok." I said. "How...how long were they gone?"

"Two days ago..."

"What the..." I breathed out, wiping the sweat from my forehead.

Hui was silently sitting beside me as he listened to my conversation with Hoseok.

"Stay safe there, Soomi. I love you."

"I love you too, oppa. And please call me everyday until my parents are found." I pleaded.

"Okay, I will."

With that, he hung up the call and I started sobbing again.

Hui took me in his arms and caressed my hair as I shed my tears.

"It'll be alright. I've got you, Soomi." Hui whispered.

That night, I found it very hard to sleep.