I

The sound of heels hitting the wooden floor echoed through the room. As per usual, the green-eyed woman wore a tight-fitting dress, a deep wine red colour, black stripper heels with a gold rim around the heel, her silver hair pulled into a stylish half up half down, seemingly done by a stylist with soft curls that fell down, face-framing pieces pulled out, curling around her well-structured face, high cheekbones, full lips and large, almond-shaped green eyes. The sound of folders hitting a desk caught the attention of some of the students in the room. Others were far too tired to bother attempting to look over at the lecturer. Green eyes scanned the room briefly, taking note of the number of students sitting in her classroom. Those eyes narrowed at the sight of an empty chair.

"Has anyone seen Theodora this morning?" She asked, only to be met with a few grumbles and mostly silence. To which she sighed and rolled her eyes. "Of course not. By the state of some of you, I highly doubt you would notice if this entire room went up in flames," she muttered, before turning and switching on her computer. At that moment, the door burst open, a student hurrying into the room.

"I'm so sorry I'm late, Mrs Valentine!" The red headed girl seemed panicked, unkempt and Mrs Valentine raised her eyebrow. 

"Why are you late this time, Theodora?" She asked with a sigh, expecting the usual excuses of, 'I slept in late' and whatever other rubbish her students threw at her on a daily basis. Theodora seemed to freeze for a moment, her wide grey eyes panicked. 

"I had to take care of my da- my sister!" She said quickly and Mrs Valentine's brow rose higher. Theodora's stammering voice and terrified expression gave away her lie, but the lecturer couldn't be bothered to deal with her right then.

"Go and sit down," she ordered. Theodora scampered to her seat, and the green-eyed woman started her lesson.

Two days later, a very similar incident occurred. Mrs Valentine had walked into her classroom, once again observing that Theodora was not in her usual seat. With an aggravated huff, she didn't bother trying to ask the students where the girl was this time. There had been a party the night previous and the lecturer highly doubted her students were currently sober.

At that moment, the door burst open, a student falling into the room, papers scattering everywhere, books sliding across the floor. That caused some of the students to snort and make noises that could be called laughter, had they had more energy. The lecturer turned, a frown forming as a couple of other students got up and helped the red headed girl who had crashed into her classroom. When a set of bewildered and confused grey eyes met her green ones, she gave a sigh and shook her head slightly.

"Morning, Mrs Valentine!" Theodora squeaked, blushing slightly under the disapproving stare she was receiving, brushing her ginger hair out of her eyes.

"Good morning, Theodora," Mrs Valentine said smoothly. "Are you drunk?"

"No, Ma'am," Theodora said as she also began to gather her things, quietly thanking the girl that had come down to help her. 

"You would be the only one," Mrs Valentine muttered quietly, folding her arms and leaning against her desk, observing Theodora. "Dare I ask as to the reason of your tardiness?" Her tone showed her boredom of the recurring event. Theodora glanced up at the lecturer who quirked a perfectly shaped brow at her. 

"My sister is sick, Miss. I had to..." Mrs Valentine cut her off with a wave of her hand. 

"Sit down," Mrs Valentine said sharply. Theodora bowed her head and did as she was told. Saying no more, the lecturer waited for everyone to be seated, and began her job, of trying to teach a group of dead young adults how to survive.