Chapter 4: Escorting the Young Groom to the Bride

The Eldest Imperial Princess Chu Shiyu was the daughter of Lord Chen Gui, who in turn was Chen Yunshu's maternal nephew. Chen Yunshu was Xiao Yurong's father so it made Chu Shiyu and Xiao Wan once removed cousins. The Chen House and the Xiao House had always had good relations with each other. Therefore it was no surprise to anyone when the Xiao House, through Xiao Yurong as a representative, formally expressed their support of her when she gained the title of Crown Princess.

In her previous life Xiao Wan and Chu Shiyu had had an OK relationship. It wasn't until Chu Shiyu became Crown Princess and took up nearly all of Xiao Yurong's attention that Xiao Wan became jealous causing the cousin's relationship to sour. She felt that Chu Shiyu was too serious and proper and was using her status to pressure other people. Chu Shiyu even got Xiao Yurong to scold Xiao Wan. At that point Xiao Wan viewed Chu Shiyu as an annoying busybody and only felt animosity towards her.

However after having experienced all the sorrow and pain from her previous life, Xiao Wan's feelings towards this older cousin of hers changed. Seeing that bright smile on Chu Shiyu's face made Xiao Wan feel a deep sense of guilt and shame and her heart became uneasy.

If not for her, if not for the Xiao House, then Chu Muqing would probably have not been able to frame Chu Shiyu. She would not have been stripped of her title and sent to the Imperial Prison. I have to find an opportunity to warn her about that treacherous Chu Muqing slut!   

Chu Shiyu saw Xiao Wan's eyes darting around like she was looking for an escape route. Chu Shiyu was a clever girl and realized that her cousin had to be bitter about something. It was a misunderstanding though! She definitely had not ratted Xiao Wan out to Xiao Yurong... recently.

The guidance and care Xiao Yurong had given Chu Shiyu had deeply influenced how she felt about Xiao Wan. Unlike the loathing Xiao Wan felt for Chu Shiyu, Chu Shiyu actually wanted to look after Xiao Wan and treat that spoiled cousin of hers well.

She knew Xiao Yurong dedicated her life to serving the nation and the people, reducing the time she could spend with her children. Inevitably Xiao Wan grew up without the attentions of a mother or father. This resulted in Xiao Wan being spoiled with material things and becoming more rebellious as she got older.   

Chu Shiyu had been under Xiao Yurong's care since she was a child. Because of this she felt that it was her responsibility to look after her cousin.

So when she saw her cousin going into the capital and making friends with people of questionable character, she couldn't help but remind Xiao Wan to be careful - although it came out more as a lecture then as advice. She warned Xiao Wan these types of friendships were shallow and could not to be relied upon. Xiao Wan would silently listen to her but it was clear she didn't really understand. It seemed like this cousin of hers just enjoyed playing in the city and taking liberties with beautiful men, stirring up trouble wherever she went, leaving others to deal with the aftermath so she wouldn't be bothered by it and bring trouble to the Xiao House's front gates.

It wasn't until Xiao Wan met Ji Shumo that she curtailed her philandering. It seemed love had found a way. The always solemn and earnest Xiao Yurong displayed a rare genuine smile that day. In fact, of the guests there her wishes and congratulations were the most sincere.

Standing beside Chu Shiyu was a tall woman in elegant dark clothing. Her hair was piled high atop her head and her facial features were bold and stern, giving off a strong and unyielding courageous air, as though she was a soldier coming off the battlefield. It was quite a contrast when compared to Chu Shiyu's gentle scholarly air. This person was in fact the Second Imperial Princess Chu Morong the daughter of Feng Hou.

Lord Chen Gui giving birth to a daughter changed Feng Hou's blood lineage. Chu Morong had no choice but to give up her spot as the Crown Princess, narrowly missing a great opportunity. Chu Morong didn't particular care about it, but her father was a brooding soul who tended to worry a lot and he had really wanted Chu Morong to ascend the throne.