Chapter 6, 7 , 8 , 9 ,10 ,11 ,and 12

CHAPTER 6

The course of events had already changed from her previous life. Xiao Wan knitted her brows not sure what to say. Seeing that the crowd was looking at Xie Chuchen's thighs with lascivious eyes, she moved to block their view. It was an unconscious move motivated by her desire to protect him.  

The crowd's interpretation of it was quite different though. "Look! She's embarrassed by him so she's trying to hide him!"

Xie Chuchen on the other hand thought she was trying to block him from entering the Xiao House. You promised! This made him feel wronged and he stared at her back with a hurt look in his eyes.

"Wan-er, what's going on?"

Upon hearing the stern tone of the question Xiao Wan's entire body stiffened involuntarily. She turned around to find a middle aged woman and an elderly gray haired man slowly approaching.

The woman's lips tightened in a frown as she looked at the scene. She saw Xiao Wan standing directly in front of Xie Chuchen as though shielding him from the crowd. This middle aged woman was of course none other than Xiao Yurong, Xiao Wan's mother.

The gray haired elderly man was the previous head of house, the ever swift and decisive Grandfather Chen. He had headed the house for decades before Xiao Yurong took over.

The two had been waiting for Xiao Wan and Ji Shumo in the reception hall for the baitang, but when neither showed up they became impatient. While waiting they overheard talk of a Young Master dressed in festive clothing creating a disturbance at the side door. Xiao Wan was delayed because she was handling the matter. At this point they decided to go and see for themselves.

Xiao Yurong swept Xiao Wan with a stare so severe it was bordering on fierce. It was obvious she thought the ruckus was a result of Xiao Wan's philandering.

When it came to things related to work Xiao Yurong was an efficient taskmaster, always quick and decisive, however she was the complete opposite when it came to handling Xiao Wan. She treasured her daughter so much she only ever used kid gloves on her. This resulted in Xiao Wan being a good for nothing idle loafer whose favorite activity was, ironically, to clash with her mother.

Xiao Yurong's main husband had become very ill and passed away a year after giving birth to Xiao Wan. Perhaps because of this Xiao Yurong tended to spoil and pamper Xiao Wan. It was especially easy to do because the girl was an incredibly obedient and adorable child. Unfortunately as Xiao Wan got older her temperament completely changed and she became a young woman who enjoyed rebelling against her elders.

Xiao Yurong had worried whether daughter would ever get married. In the end Xiao Wan completely surprised her by not only getting married, but getting married to the most sought after scholar in the nation! Xiao Yurong's trepidations were finally eased and her face glowed with happiness. Things had been going well until today. What is this setback on the big wedding day?! Xiao Wan had better have a good explanation for this.

Xiao Wan felt like her heart was about to leap out of her chest at the sound of her mother's voice. She was at a total loss, not knowing what to do or say. Before she knew it tears flowed down her cheeks. Were it not for the crowd of onlookers she would have jumped into her mother's arms and cried her heart out right then and there.

"Mother..." She was choking so hard on her emotions that it took her several breaths before she could expel that one word. Her actions were like a loud declaration of her guilty conscience.

Xiao Yurong was about to angrily demand an explanation when she saw Xiao Wan's timid and pathetic looking face. Combined with the high pitched sad sound of "Mother" and her anger completely fizzled out. She glanced at Xie Chuchen and thought, how should I handle this demand for marriage by this Young Master?