Silly Love Songs

Harry believed he was a romantic person.

Though he might not appear as someone who was naturally good at conveying his feelings, he had always been passionate about the things he loved. So when he fell in love with his flatmate, who adored romance and sappy stuff like handwritten notes, flowers and balloons, he voluntarily turned into the guy who would give all that to her.

But it was a long time ago.

Today one of his co-workers asked him about the most romantic thing he'd ever done for Y/N, and Harry realized that he hadn't done anything romantic for her lately. Maybe he'd already grown accustomed to her presence in his life so he didn't think those things mattered anymore.

The last present she'd received was from her boss, who'd given her chocolate on Valentine's Day, and a wedding dress! That man had even taken her to a party and danced with her. Was Harry the one marrying her, or Jack?

No, said the voice inside Harry's head. Something has to change. And he surely wasn't gonna wait until the next day to take action.

That evening, he waited outside of her workplace in his car with a strange kind of elation he couldn't explain. Without waiting for her to ask why he was so cheerful, he honked the horn and announced, "get in, woman. We're going on a date."

"A date?" She snorted, probably thinking he was only joking.

"What?" Harry gave the girl a shrug. "Engaged couples can still go on dates."

The last time they'd gone out was a couple weeks ago and they weren't even alone, Niall and Layla were with them. Harry had mentioned this date several times in the last two months, but since their jobs had been too crazy, they never had time to arrange one. So Harry couldn't blame Y/N for being surprised to hear him declare that they were going out tonight.

Without hesitation, she hurried into the car and asked him where they were going.

"Where do you wanna go?" He questioned, to her surprise.

"Wait, you have no plans whatsoever?"

"Of course I...don't. I'm a spontaneous man." He chuckled as she huffed and hit him on the arm.

"Okay let's go eat then, I'm hungry," she suggested.

"My wife wants food, she gets food."

The way he sang out the words made Y/N laugh as she called him silly. Honestly, she could call him anything she wanted as long as he got to see that smile on her face every single time.

On the way to pick her up, he'd really thought about how they hadn't spent much time together like they used to, and he blamed himself for his own fear that she might be slipping away. Maybe she was slipping away. He couldn't read her mind, but he'd never had to tried before. Ever since Jack showed up and started showering her with affection, Harry had begun to realize that he'd got a lot to lose. The one thing he feared most at that point was never making her laugh again. He couldn't let that happen.

"Wait, last week Kate took me to this Korean restaurant, but I can't remember the address..." Y/N pulled out her phone, and froze the moment she switched on the screen. "Five missed calls from Layla?"

"She probably lost her hoop earrings again." Harry rolled his eyes as Y/N decided to call her best friend back. She shot him a glare and told him not to be so mean.

The beeping on the line lasted for about three seconds before Layla finally picked up the phone, but instead of speaking, she was making...noises.