Father's Day

When Harry broke the news to his fiancé, she was sitting in the bathtub with music blasting from the phone she put on the marble sink. He was actually surprised she still brought her phone with her into the bathroom after having dropped it in the tub twice or so. But that wasn't a problem compared to what he wanted to say.

"Honey!" He turned the music off, trying to catch his breath and leaving her startled. "We're going to meet my dad tomorrow."

Without waiting for a response, he quickly walked over to sit on the edge of the tub, intense green eyes staring into hers as he held her face between his two hands.

"I'm so sorry, love."

"Sorry? Why?" She grabbed his wrists, raising an eyebrow. "That's actually great! It's Father's day tomorrow right? I was gonna ask you if—"

"Idon'tthinkyou'regonnalikemydad!"

"What?"

"I—" He shut his eyes, releasing the heaviest sigh she'd ever heard. "I don't...think you're gonna like my dad."

There was a reason Harry rarely talked about his father. Devlin Styles had always been talked about. The man had a big reputation in the business industry; therefore Harry had to lie too many times at job interviews that they weren't father and son. Devlin owned a corporation based in San Francisco, married again to another rich woman and they had two young daughters whom Harry had never seen since his high school graduation. The last time he had met the man in person was a few days before he graduated from university. But he had never told Y/N about it because he thought it wasn't important anyway.

Harry grew up with his mum so it was obvious that he loved Anne way much more. But that didn't mean he hated Devlin for never sticking around. He knew his old man lived too far away and was always too busy to pay them a visit. But Devlin still called to talk to his children whenever he got time. He'd paid most of Harry's tuition fees during his academic years and taught Harry everything he needed to know in order to succeed in the business world. So the young man always had high respect for his father. The only problem was that Devlin had never been a soft dad. No, his love was the toughest kind of fatherly love Harry had ever seen. He assumed his old man had run a corporation for too long so he treated his children no different from his favorite employees. But Devlin Styles had always been known for being one of the most hard-to-please bosses.

When Harry told Devlin he was dating Y/N, the father wasn't impressed by her background but he didn't say anything about it. He had assumed the kids were young and wouldn't last more than a couple months. But those couple months had soon turned to years, and now they were already engaged. Harry was scared shitless when he video called his dad to break the news of his engagement. He was afraid Devlin would disapprove. Strangely however, the man didn't even try to talk his son out of it. Instead he happily invited them both out of lunch when he arrived in London on Father's Day.

"No, H, this is good! mean, your dad finally asked to see me. That's a big step."

Y/N seemed too excited, which wasn't a good thing, because the more thrilled she was to see his father, the more disappointed she would get.

"He's the best salesman I've ever known, love. He's a great liar. You'll never know what he's actually thinking."

The girl chuckled at her future husband, thinking he was overthinking. "He's still your dad."

"Yeah, so I know him better than you." Harry sighed as he popped the soap bubble on her bare shoulder. "I don't want him to scare you. You might not even want to marry me after meeting him."

"I'm marrying you not your dad." Y/N rolled her eyes, kissing the dry patch on the back of his hand before bringing it back to her cheek. "And if we're gonna be husband and wife I'm gonna have to face him eventually, even if he hates me. But don't worry. I'm good at making people love me."