Chapter 1 Promise to Stay

Today was the day. Today I would get a job at the pizzeria. Not because some random guy told me to, but because I needed to. That family diner was in dire need of proper aid and my personal life pointed that it wouldn't hurt to carry some extra change in my pockets. I lived with my dad in an old colonial style home with forest green vinyl siding. It was a small place, but it suited us just fine. My parents split several years back and I remained with my mother most of the time, but after she passed away, I had to move back in with my dad. There's nothing wrong with him as a parent and I'm not upset to be living with him again. Sadly, my previous school is just barely out of range from my dad's place. I transitioned from schools easily, graduated, and for the mean time, I'll be making money to buy my own house. I just miss my mother.

"You know, there's nothing wrong with staying here for a few years, right? No rush to get a job. Financially, we're doing well around here anyways." Dad leans against the doorway to my room while I do up my hair and finish getting ready for the interview (hopefully I'll get one).

"Yeah, Dad, I know. I'm not running out the door. I'm just getting some money for myself and finding something to do because sitting around the house gets boring rather quickly. So boring that I actually miss school sometimes." He runs his fingers over his mustache thoughtfully while I continue to plead my case. "You don't know what it's like. You get to chase bad guys all the time! But not me. I get to chase sad daydreams all day instead."

He casts an understanding gaze to the hardwood flooring, nodding slightly as if he were about to agree with me before suddenly shaking his head negatively. "But the diner of all places? I heard they're cheapskates with their paychecks and haven't you heard about all those myst-"

"Dad-! Really, it's fine. I totally know that place, it's only a few minutes away, and it makes me feel happy, so please. Just let me do this." At last, I'm finished with my light application of makeup and I'm well dressed. Standing up, I face my dad and await his answer. Of course he can't stop me, but I would feel terrible if I never gave him a chance to speak freely first. "I'm in no danger there. No one is going to rob a kid's restaurant if that's what you're worried about. And let's say for argument's sake someone did, you could rush in and save me." My voice is gentle and encouraging, hoping I can play the innocent daughter in need of a hero card.

He knows this is a losing battle, I've always been stubborn anyways. Casting a sidelong glance to my bed, I'm certain his eyes land on the newly bought Bonnie plush I brought home yesterday. Yep, there's no convincing me now. "He was always your favorite... Look, so long as you're happy and this is something you really want to do, who am I to stop you?"

My eyes open wide with shock and surprise. Nevertheless, flashing a pearly white smile and beaming my (e/c) eyes at him, I run to hug him tightly. I'm lucky to have had two parents that wanted nothing more than to make sure I'm happy and I'm always pursuing a goal in life. "Thank you! Thank you!"

Dad hugs me back and nods his head again affirmatively, but when he lets me go, his palms grip my shoulders so that I have to face him. "But if you hear or see anything funny, promise you'll come tell me. Promise me you'll come back home." I roll my eyes and hold back another kind of knowing smile. He's so protective, though it is my first real job after all. "And take this to work. It'll help relax my mind." A small canister of pepper spray is pulled out of his back pocket and held out to me. Are you serious? Was he planning to give me this all along?

"Dad, I'm going to a job interview, not a blind date. I may not even get a position there." Still, he insists and pushes it closer. "Fine, fine, but I really need to go now. I'll tell you how it goes afterwards! Love you, bye!" Grinning, I rush past Dad and flee the house before he can preach to me more about his lessons on safety and self preservation tips. It doesn't take long before I'm in my car and ready to go. Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, here I come.