Chapter 3 Nancy Drew

By the time I get home, Dad is long gone. He's at work and I can't sleep. Not after what nearly happened back at the pizzeria. I'll have no one to confide in until tonight when he comes back to the house. Now, like a reasonable person, I could go back and quit the job. If the boss tries to stop me, he can stuff it. But on top of being already afraid to set foot inside the building ever again, I'm also curious as to why the animatronics were turned on in the first place. And why did Bonnie smell like someone was very dead?

A chill cascades down my spine and my eyes widen at the realization. Could it be that the last night guard was eaten by him? It was nearly my fate last night, but I got away. Was this what the boss has been hiding all along and is he responsible for the animatronics behaving so strangely at night? Maybe this is his sick, twisted way of getting away with murder. It was murder, wasn't it? I can put an end to whatever is really going on there, but if I face the robots once more and solve this mystery, I can stop this madness. I'd also have to sleuth my way into my manager's office to see what those papers were all about during the interview. I know just the stuff to take with me. Being home alone leaves a lot of free time on my hands. Besides, I used to do despicable crap with my friends all the time when I was younger.

I can't sleep anyways, might as well hop to it while I'm ahead. Grabbing my car keys and not even bothering to change out of my clothing, I make my way to Herbie. No radio this time. The beetle takes me back to the restaurant where once again, I'm faced with the metallic animals. It's important to note Bonnie keeps one of his hands closed at all times. He's still hiding that damn keychain he stole inside. I flash him a glare I wish he would have seen before marching my way to the manager's room. Once I reach the rippled glass in the door's window, I note he's having a phone call from inside. He's so loud that I could clearly hear the entire conversation. Anyways... Operation Distract Boss engage!

A homemade stink bomb is set outside his door, but not too close so that he won't immediately spot it. It's just a mason jar, filled with eggs and drano mostly. This'll give me time to hunt through the room while he's busy looking for the disconsolate smell. At last, the lid is unscrewed, releasing a pungent stench enough to carry throughout half the structure. Haha, good luck keeping business flowing with that jar on the loose! But seriously... I need to move before I throw up. It smells almost as bad as Bonnie had last night. With haste, I also plant some TNT poppers at the door. This way he has to step on them upon exiting the room. Does this aid my sleuthing in any way? No, but it's funny and he deserves far worse for what he's done. Shifting into my space around the corner, I shield my nose and listen to the conversation on the other side of the wall as best I can.

"Oh God... That foul- ...Oh no, not you! I'm going to have to let you go, sir. Something has come up and I really must tend to it. ...Uh- yes. Pleasure doing business with you, sir. Good bye now." Next, the wired phone reconnects with what I imagine is the main plastic piece. Whatever it's called. "Rascal kids... the bathroom is just down the hall!" He exits his office and attempts to holler over some fellow employees. Alas, the floor is dotted with TNT poppers, so he screams in shock and dances to keep them from exploding beneath him. It doesn't help. "DAMN KIDS!" That's when he darts off to fetch fellow employees. Poor sods, I'd almost feel sorry for them if I weren't so busy with my own mission.

Before the door can shut behind him, I slip past and stick my foot out to leave the door ajar. Only when I hear his footsteps drowned out by the laughter of children and the busy clatter of the nearby kitchen that I finally slip inside the office. The door softly clicks behind me, dampening all other immediate noises outside the room. I can barely hear the ticking of a nearby clock on the walls. Right, I'm in a time crunch. There's a stack of papers behind his desk which I make a beeline for.