VIII

Your POV

The start of the first half was pretty stalemate. UCLA had some nice runs, but our defense was holding up pretty well. I had a good run, but Jessie managed to push me to the sideline and it went out for a throw. Ashley kept beating past our midfield, but Tierna and Andi held the line pretty well. Possession kept changing with each play, and this went on for the rest of the half, the score still staying 0-0. I couldn't focus on what Paul was saying inside the locker room due to my mind drifting to Mal and Ashley. What was even going on? Did Mallory just switch up like that? I was brought out of my thoughts by Tierna's hand on my knee. My eyes met her gaze and she gave me a small smile, to which I returned.

"Play now, think later." The defender said softly as she stood up, stretching a hand out towards me. "We have a game to win."

--- --- --- ---

I tried to refocus on the next half of the game as we walked through the tunnel. My head was toward the ground as I counted my footsteps from the locker room to the end of the tunnel. As we walked out, I finally looked up. It took a quick second for my eyes to readjust to the stadium lights, and when they did, I could clearly see Mallory and Ashley leaning on each other and holding hands. I dont know how long I stood there for to be honest. The noise from the crowd slowly died out as I spaced out, and for a moment, I felt invisible. It wasnt until Andi stood in front of me and blocked my gaze that I realized I had a second half to play.

As I made my way to the center of the pitch, my eyes met the ones of a certain Canadian. Jessie smiled, the freckles on her face even more accentuated with the bright lights. I shot back a smile I was able to muster up before hearing the referee blow his whistle.

You got this Y/N. Play now, think later.

--- --- ---

After the whistle sounded, I felt myself slowly becoming more aggressive and involved in the game. With each through ball, I was able to help make something out of it. Tierna kept sending these great balls to our midfield who executed play after play. By the end of the 20th minute, the ball had only touched our keeper twice. Stanford was dominating the second half, but we needed goals. Andi sent a nice ball up the left side, where our midfield was able to send it over to the offensive line. I took off in a mad sprint as the ball moved over my head. It was now a race between the UCLA defenders and our offense. I managed to beat a defender to the ball, and not wanting to slow down the momentum, I kept rushing toward the goal. With each step, I noticed the goal becoming increasingly closer and closer. I heard the defenders footsteps behind me, and I knew I couldn't stop running. Not now. I took a sharp cut inside the box and pulled my leg back to shoot. The ball made contact with my laces, causing it to gain altitude. It threw their keeper off and before I knew it, the ball was in the back of the net.

"GOAL FOR STANFORD BY NUMBER 22, Y/N Y/L/N."

I dont know what made me happier; the fact that this game wouldn't end scoreless, or the fact that I just scored on UCLA at home, AND in front of Mal.

I looked back to Andi who simply grinned and yelled, "Keep it going!"

We got this.

--- --- ---

The rest of the half went quick, with Jordan managing to slip another ball in, putting the final score 2-0. I was still smiling like an idiot over my goal in the locker room. When I came out of the tunnel, I saw Jessie running up to me with a smile on her face.

"Good job today, bright eyes." I said as we hugged. "Likewise, Stanford." As we pulled away, Jessie looked behind her and rolled her eyes. "Ashley and Mal have been all up on each other and its making everyone want to throw up. If you need someone to run them over with a bus, I will gladly volunteer as tribute." I let out a laugh at the Canadian's words. Oh Jessie. "Thanks for the recommendation, Fleming." The midfielder chuckled and rubbed the back of her neck. "I know you and Mal go back to camp soon, and I have to report for national duty too, but I really want to keep talking to you so can I get your number?" She said as she looked at me. I raised an eyebrow and tilted my head to the side. "Trying to shoot your shot already, Canada?" I said with a small laugh. Jesse's eyes widened as she shook her head rapidly. "Well, yes, I mean-no. I just dont feel like interrupting whatever Mallory and Ashley are doing to get your number from her." The Canadian stuttered, a faint blush forming across her face as she motioned with her thumb behind her.

I looked behind the UCLA player to see Mallory and Ashley holding hands once again. I tore my gaze away from the two and focused on the freckled girl in front of me. I pulled my phone from the pocket of my sweatpants and unlocked it before handing it to the Canadian. After she put her number in, she handed it back to me.

"Text me later? Or you know, like whenever, because if you don't want to talk then that's cool-" I cut Jessie off by putting a finger to her lips. "I will text you later, Fleming." I said with a smile. The midfielder slowly nodded before smiling as my finger fell from her lips. I started walking around Jesse until I heard her shouting.

"Goodnight, Stanford!"

I smiled and looked over my shoulder, catching a glimpse of the smiling girl.

"Goodnight, Canada!"

A/N:

SO UMMMM 7.75K VIEWS??????? W H A T??? I PROMISE I AM BACK AND STARTING TO GET IDEAS FOR THIS BOOK. IM SO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN LIKE 5 MONTHS BUT HEY LETS FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE ❤

i love you all and i hope you enjoyed this chapter

-alex