XI

Jessie Fleming POV

I had been waiting for Y/N to text me for a while. I miss talking to her. Don't get me wrong, spending time with my team is great, but I'd rather spend time on the phone with Y/N than chilling at a teammate's house.

I sat up from the couch and felt my phone buzz. My heart skipped a beat and I grabbed my phone with a speed I didn't know I had.

I felt my heart drop and my body slouch.

It wasn't Y/N.

I didn't even bother replying. Groaning, I moved my body across the couch and hopped off. Me being me, I was so distracted thinking about the situation with Y/N that I ended up running into the wall.

"Nice one, Jessie."

Ashley's voice caught me off guard. Rubbing my head, I turned to face the blonde.

"I was distracted."

Her eyebrows raised and she tilted her head to the side. "Distracted?" She chuckled and gave me a look. "You're the most focused person I know." My eyes glanced behind Ashley, not wanting to look at her. Trailing behind Ashley was our teammate Hailie Mace.

"Hey kids!" Hailie shot me a smile, to which I returned. The forward turned around and waved at Mace. Ashley gave me a side glance before smirking at the other girl.

"Hailie, I think Jessie is a little...distracted."

Hailie glanced at me, and then back to Ashley. "Distracted? What's on your mind, Jess?" She looked at me. I gave her a confused look and shook my head. "Nothing, just, well, I kind of ran into the wall because I was distracted like mentally." I explained, using my hands for emphasis.

Ashley opened her mouth to say something, but her phone dinged. She looked down and smiled instantly. Hailie grinned at the blonde girl before speaking. "Let me guess, it's Mal?"

The forward's smile spread across her face at the older girl's words. Ashley typed a response to the text she received before looking up at Hailie. "How'd you know?" She laughed and walked down the hall, leaving Mace and I alone.

"Love birds. They're like middle schoolers acting all giddy." Mace said as she plopped down on the couch. I rolled my eyes and leaned on the wall. "They're annoying."

"You're just jealous because you're not talking to anyone." Hailie said as she propped her legs up on the couch. I opened my mouth to protest but was cut off by my phone going off.

The blonde looked under her arm and saw my phone. She looked up from my phone and gave me a look.

"Y/N? You got the Stanford girl's number?"

Immediately I felt my cheeks heat up and a grin spread across Hailie's face. "Yeah we met at the game. We're just friends." I said defensively as I reached over and grabbed my phone. Hailie's shit eating grin just got bigger. She sat upright quickly, almost falling off the couch in the process.

"What's she like?" She asked me and I felt my heart race. I paused for a minute and rubbed the back of my neck. "Well, she loves soccer. She loves attending Stanford. She's very determined, she's always had a huge work ethic. Y/N is extremely independent but is okay with asking for help. She is calm and collected, and doesn't let emotions get the best of her on the field. She's also a very good soccer player and," I stopped talking because I noticed the look on Hailie's face.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You like her, huh."

"Shut up we are just friends."

"You're not denying it!" Hailie stood up and pulled out her phone. She began typing something.

My brow furrowed and I was about to ask her what on this green earth she was doing, but I felt my phone buzz. Glancing down, I saw that the blonde had sent a message to the team's group chat.

Hailie🌝
Baby Canada has a crush on a certain Stanford girl

Mal is in this chat. Shit.

"Hailie, why would you-" Before I could finish, Ashley came into the room out of nowhere.

"Jessie Alexandra Fleming you like someone and I wasn't the first to know?!" She yelled before looking at Hailie. "I'm her favorite." The other player responded with a grin.

While the two blondes began their playing banter, I was distracted by what was happening in the group chat.

Mal had responded.

Pugh🇺🇸
She likes Y/N?

Ashley🥴
Yes

Shit. She knows.