XII

Mallory Pugh's POV

Jessie must be bluffing. She's kidding. She doesn't like anyone, especially Y/N.

Right?

I shook my head and ran my hand through my hair. Jessie was the one who told ME to go and fix things with Y/N.

Maybe she doesn't like Y/N?

Maybe it's all just a joke?

There was only one way to find out. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone, ignoring the fact that Ashley had replied to me and scrolled through my text conversations until I found Jessie.

To: Jessie
Do you really like Y/N or are they just messing around?

I clicked the power button on my phone and set it down on the table in front of me.

I like Y/N and had feelings for her. Jessie knows that.

I also have to figure out what I want to do with Ashley. I feel like we could've been more, but I don't know if I want to try again with her.

Jessie also knows that.

Was Jessie trying to push me to break things of with Y/N so she could have a shot?

The thought rushed into the front of my mind and I sat there contemplating whether or not to dwell on it.

Surely Ashley and Hailie were kidding.

Right?

I slowly reached over and picked up my phone, watching the screen light up when I turned it on.

1 New Message
Jessie
Is it bad if I do?

I felt my body physically tense up as I re-read the text over and over again.

No fucking way.

"You've got to be kidding me, Fleming." I muttered under my breath as I typed a response.

To: Jessie
You know how I feel about Y/N.

Almost immediately I got a text back.

Jessie
But I also know how you feel about Ashley.

To: Jessie
How do you know how I completely feel about Ashley if I haven't even figured that out for myself yet?

Jessie
The fact that you have to even figure that out when you have Y/N waiting like that is ridiculous. I have some feelings but I know for sure that if my ex came back, I sure as hell wouldn't trip over her.

Whatever you say Fleming.

— — —

Your POV

The talk with Mal gave me what I needed I guess. I got answers.

Well, they weren't very clear answers, but I guess that still counts for something.

Since Mallory had left, I had been alone in the hotel room. We left tonight, so I started packing and letting myself fully think about my current situation.

Was what we had rushed? Is she just wishfully thinking? Does she really want Ashley back?

Did I do something wrong?

Shaking my head, I bent down to pick up a hoodie off the floor.

Am I just her distraction from Ashley?

No. I couldn't think like that. Mallory wasn't like that.

Right?

She'd never use someone like that.

But what if she did?

If she did, everything was a lie.

The touches, the vulnerable moments, the kiss. The feelings of safety and belonging, all just an act and part of someone's plan to get over someone else.

If everything was a lie, then every word she said was, too.

I then realized that I hadn't even stood up from grabbing the hoodie off the floor. Sighing deeply, I sat down on the floor with my head leaning against the small sofa.

This sucked. I had started developing feelings for Mal and I thought maybe for once, the universe would be nice enough to give me someone who feels the same way. It's not every day you get to fall in love with someone. Not saying that I "loved" Mal, but, I did care deeply about her.

I adore her. Every little thing about her fascinates me. The way her facial features change when she's concentrating, how her smile lights up the room, her ability to handle the ball in games and at practices.

She's amazing. But also cocky. She loves to show off when we scrimmage against each other. Mal finds it amusing when I get annoyed with her antics.

Im sure Ashley does too.

Placing my head in between my hands, I let out a frustrated scream. This wasn't it chief.

I didn't even know what Mal and I were, or even if she still wanted to talk during all of this. Everyone else keeps telling me to walk away from her and all of this mess. They make valid points and I know they're right in a lot of what they say, but part of me can't decide what I want to do.

I'm standing, well, sitting here waiting for her to make a choice. The fact that she even has to make a choice bothers me. Shouldn't you know what you want? If she didn't want her ex before, why would she now? Why now, when I was falling for her?

Whatever reasons she may have, I do know that if she chooses to be with me, I don't think I could ever be comfortable with her even being friends with Ashley. Not after all this.

I don't even know how long it's going to take her to choose.

I hate the way they look at each other. I hate the way Ashley has all of her. I cant stand the way Mallory even thinks she has feelings for her. It hurts. And I think it's a type of hurt that will only get worse the longer I stay around.

"Woah, Y/N you good?"

Tierna's voice brought me out of my thoughts. I was so engrossed in them, I didn't even hear her come in. Concern laced the defender's features.

"I think I'm done, T."

The older girl's features turned from concerned to confused. "Done? Done with what?" She asked.

"Done with Mal. That's what."