Kindred spirits

One week of school was enough for Victoria to hate it. Sure there were some of her fellow students who seemed nice but there were many others who simply made her blood boil.

It was the final few minutes before the school day and week ended and Victoria felt bored out of her mind as she heard Mr Phillips talk about some history stuff.

Whenever Victoria looked at the clock, she sighed as she hoped that time would pass. It did the exact opposite.

Thankfully, the day was finally over and Victoria found herself rushing to pack her stuff to leave and go home.

Today Victoria was in a rush, she decided that it was about time that she goes by Anne's house for Victoria to spend some time with her.

Victoria did like Anne. There were people in school like Diana Barry who was nice but she feels as she is doing just that. Being nice. With Anne on the other, the girl seemed like she genuinely wanted to become her friend.

This time Victoria was the first to leave, she bid hurried goodbyes to the other girls and went outside. Thank God, Edward finished earlier than she did as he was already waiting for her. She grabbed his hand and the two walked away from the schoolhouses.

The two Edwards rushed back home and Victoria dropped her brother and items off before she ran her way to the Cuthbert Estate.

Victoria knocked onto the door and shuffled her feet nervously, hoping that Anne did want to see her and that she won't be annoying her.

Anne opened the door once again and broke into an instant smile when she saw Victoria. "Good afternoon Anne. I thought about what you said that we could meet up to just talk or whatever, so, do you want to do something? Anything you want to do really, I would be just grateful for the company."

Anne grinned. "Of course! I've been feeling so lonely lately in this house. Matthew! I'm going out with Victoria! I'll be back in a few hours." Anne closed the door behind her and hopped down the porch with Victoria following closely behind.

"As you're new here, you probably don't know what's around," Anne stated as she made her way towards the woods. Victoria shook her head, "Not really, I didn't have the chance." She stated as she caught up with Anne and walked by her side. "I haven't been here for long either but there is one place that I'll know that you'll love."

"Seems good to me," Victoria replied. "So tell me, Victoria Edwards, how is it in England? I always imagined what life would be like if I lived there. How is it then?" Anne asked as her eyes gleamed dreamily. Victoria smiled as she reminisced on her home.

"It's not that spectacular. Well at least in my point of view. I like it here better, it's so beautiful!" Victoria explained. "You're so lucky, you got the chance to explore the world. It must have been scary to move from so far."

"Not scared, more like nervous," Victoria said. Anne cleared her throat. "You said that you had trouble in school? What was that all about?" Anne asked as she thought back to when she used to go, not long ago. She noticed Victoria's smile melt as she pouted her lip slightly.

"Apart from snobbish girls, there's also this bully who seems to loathe me for some random reason. Billy-" "Andrews?" Victoria nodded her head at Anne's interruption. "Uh-huh, that's the one."

Anne sighed. "I know how it feels. Billy was one of the reasons why I'm not going to school." Victoria looked at Anne. "You went to school?" Victoria thought that Anne simply didn't want to go to school as she preferred to learn how to be a woman of the house. She had no idea that she once started school.

"Did but I felt so unwelcomed and judged that I decided to stop," Anne added.

"Well, that's too bad, if you still came you would at least have me. I would be happy if I could keep you company. I would've stopped going but I do love learning, even though I almost cried after Billy threw my copy of Romeo and Juliet in the furnace."

Anne came to an erupt stop which confused Victoria. She turned to look at her, with a smile growing on her face. "Romeo and Juliet? As in Shakespeare? You have books?" Victoria nodded her head. "Every single play and poem. I do love reading, especially in Shakespeare. He was a genius."

Anne suddenly hugged Victoria which, once again caught her off guard, but this time she didn't hesitate to hug her back. "Although I never say no to hugs, why are we hugging exactly?" Victoria inquired. Anne finally let go and looked in Victoria's eyes. "I finally met someone who actually loves books and I take it as much as I do. And I always wanted to read Shakespeare! I've heard about many of his literary works but I never got the chance to read it."

Victoria grinned. "Well how about this. Tomorrow while you're at my house for the party, I pass over a book written by Shakespeare for you to read. What do you think?" Anne looked at her with a mesmerising look on her face. "You are one of the people that I love most in this world. Oh! Looks like we're here!"

Victoria finally stopped to pay attention to her surroundings which made her mouth fall slightly agape. "This place is wonderful," Victoria stated as she looked at the small wooden structure which was charming and very nice.

Anne nodded. "I know, I come here often for inspiration. You see, I love to write! Come on now, let's go in." Anne opened the wooden door open and motioned for Victoria to go in before her. Victoria smiled when she entered the inside, looking at the small wooden shed which was litten up by the rays of sunlight entering through the cracks.

The walls were covered with grass as it grows, giving the place more character. "This place is absolutely amazing." She stated as she sat down, looking at the inside in awe.

"I also come here when I want to think things through. But now I finally have a friend to share it with!" Anne squealed as she hugged Victoria lightly once again.

When Anne let go, Victoria grabbed her hand. "Thank you for sharing it with me. It makes me feel honoured that you showed me your secret hiding place."

Anne beamed and then quickly stared the ground frantically searching for something. After a few seconds of looking, she finally held out a rock and stepped closer to the wall. She used the sharp end of the rock to carve her name on the wood. When she finished, she handed the rock to Victoria and Victoria knew that she was indicating for her to do the same.

She wrote her name down and handed the rock back to Anne. Anne added a plus sign between the two names and an equal sign after. Anne continued to write with the rock the words 'Kindred spirits'. Anne let the rock down on the ground and turned back at Victoria.

"There we go. To indicate the beginning to a long, perfect and beautiful friendship."