A meeting with an angel

■■■

Things were slightly awkward in the carriage at first. Which was weird as they always joked around with each other, even more whenever their parents weren't present.

"I'm sorry, Vic, I didn't mean to snap at you." Hamilton apologized, finally breaking the awkward silence. Victoria nodded. "And I accept your apology." She replied.

A few more seconds passed and seeing that the conversation wasn't going anywhere in Hamilton's end, Victoria knew that she had to carry it herself.

"I just don't get why you were so defensive when I asked you about Gideon. Did something happen between you?" Victoria asked, watching as Hamilton visibly gulped.

"Something did happen, we had a bit of a disagreement," Hamilton admitted. He noticed the worried look that Victoria gave him and shrugged it off. "It's nothing to worry about. Trust me, I can handle it." He reassured and offered her a smile which she thankfully returned. This time with no sarcasm behind it.

"Is that part of the reason we're going to Charlottetown? To see Gideon?" Edward asked, finally speaking up. "Part of it, yes. You'll like him, he really is very nice. He's also Welsh, his accent is hard to understand at first but you'll get used to it."

Victoria looked intrigued at that. "He's originally from Wales? How did he end up here?" She asked out of curiosity. "I think because he wanted to get away from his family. They had a bit of an argument." Hamilton said with a frown on his face.

"Was he? Disowned?" Edward asked as he tried to connect the dots. Hamilton started feeling a bit uncomfortable. "I don't think so, I don't know all the details. I think he just wanted to start anew." Hamilton replied. Victoria noticed that her brother wasn't anywhere near excited to talk about his friend in such a deep manner so she decided to drop the subject. She didn't want to make him snap at them again.

Victoria was ecstatic when they finally arrived at Charlottetown as she quickly grew tired of the tight space.

"Can we go to the bookstore first?" Victoria asked as soon as she helped Edward down the carriage. "You and your books," Hamilton said though not in an annoyed way. Despite making fun of his sister, he too loved books as much as she did, especially if it's Shakespeare.

"But yes you can. Take Edward, will you? I'll go buy some things for the harvest. When you're done meet me by the steps at my place. Gideon should be at work for two more hours, I'll be able to pack without disturbing him. You remember the address?" Hamilton asked, finally finishing his rant.

"Perfectly remembered in here," Victoria said with a smile as she pointed towards her head.

Hamilton bid them goodbye and immediately as he left, Edward turned at her with questions. "I don't understand. I thought he was going to talk to this Gideon man, why is he going there when he's not home?" Edward asked to which he received a shrug. "I haven't the foggiest, Eddie."

"He's confusing me. Maybe our brother is wonky after all." Victoria laughed at that. "This is where I got you that book for Christmas," Victoria stated as they neared the bookstore. "I loved that book, I'm not sure whether or not I have mentioned it before," Edward admitted.

"You didn't. May I remind you how gutted you were when you opened your present and found a book?" Victoria said, dropping her voice slightly as they entered. She smiled at the store's owner, the old man remembering her from last time, and Edward quickly mimicked her actions.