Friends unite

■■■

After the events of that night, Caroline, Edward and Victoria returned home. Both Benedict and Hamilton decided to stay behind, although Hamilton didn't do much of the deciding.

Hamilton wanted to return home with the rest of the family as he was the most tiresome of them all. But Benedict said that it was of best to stay as the rest of the men where staying behind to help with the repairs of the house.

It would have looked bad on Hamilton's behalf if he left and after receiving a stern look from his mother, he knew that he had no choice.

She felt bad at him as he had to stay there sweating, still covered in soot while Victoria and Edward would stay home asleep.

But although she felt guilty, as soon as she arrived home, she fell immediately in bed with Edward next to her.

She woke up later that day with a yawn and made sure to leave the room quickly as to not wake Edward up.

Her mother was already awake as after Victoria took a bath, she found her reading in the parlour.

"I was thinking about going to the Cuthberts." Victoria stated which caused Caroline to look up from her book.

"You know, to check that Anne is okay and maybe even spend some time with both her and Ruby. I mean, maybe I'll gain a friend."

Caroline smiled fondly at her daughter. "I think that's a brilliant idea. It's nice to know that you're at least trying to make some friends."

Victoria nodded her head as she had no idea how she should continue. "I'll go then. And before I forget, Edward is still asleep in my room. Just so that you'll know."

Caroline quickly bid her goodbye and turned back to her book.

As soon as she left the mansion, Victoria felt the cold air against her features. Luckily she didn't have to endure the cold for long because of the short distance between both houses.

She knocked gently on the door and hoped that both Anne and Ruby were awake and that she didn't arrive in a bad time.

The door opened in about an instant and Victoria immediately smiled when her gaze fell on Marilla Cuthbert.

"Oh, Miss Edwards." Marilla stated with a genuine fondness of the girl. "Please Miss Cuthbert, just call me Victoria."

Marilla smiled. "Victoria it is then. And if that's the case than you should call me Marilla. I'm assuming you're here to see Anne."

Victoria nodded as she hummed yes in response. "You've assumed correctly. Unless I'm here at a bad time, or are she and Ruby still asleep?"

Marilla shook her head. "No, they've been awake for sometime now. You can come in, I'm sure Anne will be thrilled to see you."

Marilla stepped aside to let Victoria enter the small house. Victoria entered after wiping her shoes on the mat outside. "Anne talks very highly of you. She really find you nice and endearing."

The brown haired girl couldn't help but grin at that. "That's very sweet of her, I can assure you that I also find nothing but positive things to say about her."

"Marilla, is that Victoria at the door?" Victoria heard Anne ask and it wasn't long until she saw Anne emerging from the top of the stairs with Ruby right behind.

Anne ran the last couple of stairs and hugged Victoria tightly. "It's great to see you!" Anne exclaimed as she finally let go of her friend.

"And I, you. I just came to check how you and Ruby are faring." Victoria turned to look at Ruby who stood at the side looking rather cut off.

Ruby glanced up at the smiling British girl after hearing her say her name. She smiled weakly back at her, clearly not that happy with the current situation she was in.

"That's very kind of you. Ruby and I decided to bake some cookies so that we can give them to the people working on the house. You can join us if you want to." Anne looked at Victoria with pleading eyes.

"I'd love to. That is, if I'm wanted here." Victoria turned to look at Marilla who stood at the side giving the kids space to interact.

"You're always welcome here. But are you sure that your mother would find no problem with it?" Marilla asked.

With a smile, Victoria nodded yes. "There shouldn't be any." Anne grabbed both Victoria's and Ruby's hands and dragged them into the kitchen. "I'm so glad that you're here. Ruby says that she's good at baking but with me in the midst of things, we need all the help that we can get."

Anne ran around the kitchen and grabbed all the ingredients that she had. "How are you Ruby? Everything good?" Victoria asked the glum girl who looked as if she was being tortured. Ruby looked at Victoria in the verge of tears which made her regret mentioning anything.

"It's nothing to be worried about Ruby. They said it should only take a week for the repairs." Victoria started as she tried her best to make Ruby feel better.

"All my dresses are ruined!" She stated as tears formed in her eyes. "If that's the case then why didn't you say so! I'll be glad to lend you some! I even have some in pink that I'm sure you would love."

Ruby perked up. "You- you'd really do that?" Victoria nodded with a smile. "Of course I would. You'll be staying here for a week, right? I'll come by tomorrow and hand you some." Victoria was taken aback when Ruby engulfed her in a hug. When Ruby finally let go of her, she beamed in Victoria's direction.

"You know, despite what Josie says, you're not bad. You're actually pretty nice." Victoria raised her eyebrows at her.

"What- um- what does Josie say about me?" Ruby finally went silent, fully aware that she shouldn't have said anything.

Anne decided to break the silence. "Maybe we should start baking." Anne stated as she looked at the ingredients on the table.

"Yes we should. And luckily for all of us I know a secret ingredient that makes a fresh batch better." Anne smiled at her. "Is it love?" She said dreamily. Victoria scoffed. "I'm not talking about love, I'm talking about doubling the amount of sugar."

Both Ruby and Anne laughed at that. It wasn't long until the three girls were mixing the biscuit batter. "I want you to thank your brother for me," Victoria glanced up from the mixing bowl and looked at Anne with confusion. "What do you mean? Hamilton?"

Anne nodded her head. "Yes, he was the one who bravely entered the midst of the scorching fire in order to save me. It was very nice and chivalrous to do that."

Victoria frowned at the batter and then at Anne. "I'll um- be sure to tell him."

"Your brother is rather handsome." Ruby stated as she stared dreamily at the wall in front of her. Victoria had to fight the urge to throw up. "You clearly have never actually talked to him. Now let's finish these before I get sick."

■■■