Great fires of.. Avonlea?

■■■

Victoria was sound asleep in the middle of the night until she was woken up by frantic shaking. Still confused, Victoria turned around with her eyes half-closed. Hamilton grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet.

"What's going on?" She asked and tried her best to stifle the yawn. "There's a fire in town. Get dressed we have to leave this instant."

When Hamilton mentioned the fire, Victoria was suddenly aware of the loud bells coming from the town.

Hamilton was long gone when the realization hit her and she shook off her tiredness and went to put on some boots.

She was the last of her family to arrive downstairs and hopped onto the carriage that her father was driving.

Victoria looked around and tried to see whose fire it was but they were too far away to be sure.

"Do you have any idea where the fire is?" Edward asked as he snuggled closer into his blanket and at his brother's side. Hamilton saw that his little brother was shivering and placed an arm around his shoulders.

Caroline shook her head. "Your guess is just as good as mine but we're almost there. Hamilton darling, make sure to go help the other men put out the fire as soon as we arrive."

Hamilton nodded his head and although it was clear that he didn't want to do it, he didn't want the fire to get worse or for anyone to get hurt.

The carriage stopped when Benedict came across a sea of panicking people. He stopped the carriage and a mere few seconds after he did, Hamilton sprinted away from the carriage and towards the fire.

"I'll go help them," Benedict stated as he also ran towards the upcoming crowd. "Stay safe you three!" He shouted as he continued running.

"Victoria!" Victoria turned around when she heard her name being called and saw Diana walking her way.

As Victoria smiled and looked at Diana's usual neat hair which was currently slightly out of place.

Victoria thought of her hair which must be a monstrosity and subconsciously tried her best to tame it.

"Diana! Are you all right? Whose house is this?" She exclaimed as she hugged the girl tightly. Diana let go after a few seconds and looked into the other girl's eyes.

"It's the Gillis house." Victoria gasped slightly. "Gillis? As in Ruby?" Diana nodded her head yes. "Oh, that poor thing."

Victoria witnessed Diana's eyes widen and Victoria thought that the fire must have got worse, so she looked at the house. But then she followed the girl's gaze towards the carriage that just arrived.

Victoria smiled slightly at Anne as she hopped down from her carriage. "Anne! Anne! Oh, I've missed you so much!" Diana shouted towards Anne, who quickly came running to them.

Diana and Anne hugged each other and then Anne turned to look at Victoria. Victoria went to hug Anne who quickly returned the motion.

The three girls heard someone shout and their gazes quickly snapped back towards the burning house.

Victoria panicked slightly when she saw Hamilton trying to put out the fire from the top of the ladder he had.

Victoria stared at him as she made sure that he was alright when she noticed something. "Why are all the windows and doors open? It's only making the fire worse!" Victoria stated. 

Both Anne and Diana looked at where Victoria was staring. While Diana looked at the girl in confusion, Anne looked at her with understanding.

"My god, Victoria, you're right!" Anne started and then instantly took off running. "Anne! Don't! Get back here!" Both Diana and Victoria shouted at her retrieving figure.