The man who cried gold

■■■

"Why is it so loud?" Gideon said as he winced. The Edwards' children and Gideon hadn't even entered the town hall as they were waiting in line while the people before them were entering.

"Ms Lynde is here, of course, it is loud," Edward said as he tucked on his collar. He was not excited at all for the upcoming meeting. "Lower your voice down, Eddie. It may be true but you do not want anyone to hear you." Victoria said as she slapped his hand away and fixed his collar properly.

Hamilton, on the other hand, was not paying attention. He kept fiddling with his top hat, making sure that he could hide most of his hair.

"Stop fidgeting, you numpty," Gideon said as he rolled his eyes. When it was their turn to enter, a man by the door was hanging other people's coats and hats against the wall.

"Your coats and hats, please," the man said in boredom. Hamilton froze. "My hat?" He asked and the man nodded. Edward, Gideon, and Victoria all handed their coats.

"Yes, your hat." The man said people lining behind them were groaning. "Is it essential for me to leave my hat behind? You see, it's made of imported silk-" Hamilton lied as he desperately tried to get out of the situation.

"Are you hiding something in there?" The man asked with a glare and positioning himself for a fight. "What? No, it's just-" Hamilton started but could not seem to finish.

"Stop being so vain for a minute and give him your bloody hat, you wanker." Victoria snapped when she heard someone shout from the back. Hamilton took the hat off and shoved it harshly in the man's hand. "Hope you are happy now, you dingpot."

Gideon grabbed Hamilton by the shoulders and guided him into the town hall as Edward apologized for his brother's actions.

When he entered, Hamilton could see and feel people staring at him. "See?" Hamilton asked Victoria. "Everyone is staring at me and judging." Gideon raised his eyebrows as he watched the scene unfold. People were staring at him, yes, but not for the reason Hamilton thought.

The people 'staring' were mostly women, of all ages, looking at him with an adoring look in their eyes. Others were men, who were glaring at him out of spite and jealously.

Gideon tugged on his cravat, feeling uncomfortable as he too was developing a case of jealousy. Gideon was not entirely sure whether or not Hamilton was into men like him, but no one should be that oblivious to the longing looks.

"Oh, look! There's Anne!" Victoria stated as she saw her closest friend. Letting go of Edward's hand, she made her way towards Anne and hugged her.

"I am so glad that you're here! There might be actual gold here, who would have thought?" Anne said as she hugged her friend back. "Not me, it's a bit dodgy though," Victoria said and Anne frowned. "What would make you think- oh, good evening, Hamilton," Anne said when she finally caught sight of the eldest Edwards sibling. She let go of Victoria and straightened herself up.

Anne was almost starting at Hamilton, her face showing slight awe as she searched the details of his face. Hamilton instantly thought that she was looking at his hair. Hamilton went to respond but Marilla Cuthbert halted him from doing so as she and her brother walked into the scene.

"Anne, cease the staring, you're being rude," Marilla warned as she snapped her out of her trance. "Victoria, Edward, Hamilton, nice to see you again. Excuse me, but I am not entirely sure who you are. I'm Marilla Cuthbert."

Gideon smiled, "The name's Gideon Gallagher. I'm a friend of Hamilton and we are residing in an apartment together in Charlotte Town." Gideon said as he shook the old woman's hand.