Things change

■■■

Victoria sat along with her parents and brothers while they ate dinner. It was almost silent, only the clatter of cutlery against the dinner plates were heard.

"Do you ever miss England?" Victoria asked out of the blue which caused all eyes to turn to her. "There are some things that I reminisce on, but I quite like it here." Benedict explained.

"Are you not liking it here? I thought that you were happy in Avonlea." Benedict continued as he placed his knife and fork down.

Victoria shook her head. "I didn't say that. It's just different here. I love this place but home is home. It's the place where we all grew up. I think I would be wrong if I said that I was the only one who missed it." She continued.

Caroline bit her bottom lip. "That's normal, darling. But don't you worry, Avonlea will become your home in no time." She reassured as she held her hand from across the table.

Victoria smiled at her mother until Hamilton cleared his throat. "I actually have something important to say. Some very important news."

The rest of the Edwards's family turned to look at him with eyebrows raised. "After a lot of persuasion and letter writing, I finally received an answer. I've talked to one of the doctors in Charlotte Town and they told me that I can go help out and finish my studies there."

"Dog's bullocks! That is amazing news." Benedict exclaimed with a large smile on his face. "When do you get to leave?" Edward said as his face was etched with sadness.

Hamilton smiled weakly at him. "The man said that I can come next weekend."

"You can't leave!" Edward shouted over the dinner table. "Edward!" Caroline shouted as she scolded Edward.

"But we'll miss you." Edward stated as he calmed down. "It's not like I'm leaving and never coming back. I'll visit on weekends and I'm not going that far."

"Come on," Hamilton stated with a frown. "You're making me feel bad. It was supposed to be good news."

Victoria smiled. "Of course we're happy for you. Congratulations. Even though you are a total wanker, you will still be missed."

"Victoria-" Caroline corrected with a smile and was about to say something but Hamilton didn't let her finish.

"Hey, I'm about to become a doctor. Show some respect, you plonker." He stated as he blew a raspberry in her direction and Victoria copied the action.

"Stop it you two. There's saliva all over the table." Benedict grimaced as he wiped his face with his sleeve. "This also counts for a celebration. Our son is now a doctor, isn't that great, darling?"

Benedict nudged his wife with his elbow which caused her to jolt forward and move her plate. Caroline grabbed a napkin and quickly hit him with it.

"Don't get ahead of yourselves. I'm not a doctor yet." Hamilton stated as he smiled at his dinner plate sheepishly.

"Where will you be staying?" Victoria continued to ask her brother. Hamilton was about to reply when Edward suddenly jolted out of his chair and ran out of the room.

Caroline was calling out for him to come back until Hamilton placed a hand on her arm. "Let me go talk to him. I think I know what's going on." And just like that, Hamilton as well left the dinner table.

"And now there are three." Benedict murmured as he ran the spoon through his soup. "Do you think it's a good idea to let him go?" Caroline asked.

"Of course it is!" Benedict exclaimed. "I know its hard to have a child away from you, but this is his dream! The boy wanted this for a long time. He always said that he loved the feeling of helping people."

Caroline nodded. "I'm not saying that he should give up on his dream. But what mother would I be if I wasn't worried?"

"A bad one." Victoria stated as she went things through in her head. Her parents looked at her. "Things in life change, but changes are what makes life better. I mean, we came here instead of staying in London and I think that that's the best thing that could have happened to me."

Both Caroline and Benedict smiled at the fact that they have such an understanding daughter.

"I'll go check on my brothers, pardon me for a moment." Victoria stood up from her own chair and followed her siblings up the stairs.

The parents sat in silence for a while. "And now there are two." Benedict stated.

Victoria walked upstairs and down the hall, trying to find wherever her brothers went. She truly was happy that her brother's dreams came through but that doesn't mean it's easy for her to see her brother get shipped off.

Hamilton's room was open wide and Victoria knew that they were there. She knocked on the open door of the very messy room in order to grab their attention.

They were seated on the bed, as Edward set his head on his brother's lap. "Am I interrupting anything?" Victoria asked with a weak smile. Hamilton shook his head and Victoria could see the tears in his eyes.

"No, you're not. Come in. Eddie is just sad that I will be going but we talked about it. You feel better now, don't you?" Hamilton asked as he looked down at his brother.

Edward nodded but he was still looking at the distance. "Sit here." Hamilton said as he patted the bed. Victoria smiled and sat where he had indicated.
Hamilton wrapped his free arm around his sister's shoulders and squeezed.

"I just want you all to know, that even though you're a pain in the arse, I'll still miss you. And I love you both, so, so much."

Victoria chuckled. "Don't go soft on us now." She stated, tears pricking in her eyes. Hamilton kissed the top of her head. "Tell anyone about this and I'll mail you to Puerto Rico."

Victoria laughed. "Right. I love you, wanker."

"Love you too, Plonker. And you little plonker." Hamilton stated referring to Edward who now cuddled his brother's side. "Everything will be fine, you'll see."

■■■

This wasn't a very interesting chapter, I know, I'm sorry, I hope that I'll make it up to you all in the next one.