✖︎ FOUR: Eavesdropping ✖︎

HJ and Gil continued to follow Helios all the way to Hades' Souvlaki

HJ and Gil continued to follow Helios all the way to Hades' Souvlaki. They hid behind barrels every time he looked back and continued on their new quest of following him for reasons HJ still had no idea for.

Helios ducked into the building, HJ and Gil peering through the windows.

"Father!" Helios said. "I'm home!"

Hades appeared in a puff of flames, grinning at Helios.

"Where's your sister?" Hades asked, getting straight to the point.

"She's not coming back." Helios said. "She isn't until mother comes back."

"Your mother left early for reasons she won't understand." Hades said. "And when I said for her to come here it wasn't a question. I need her back here."

"Why?" Helios asked.

Hades shook his head, his flaming hair catching onto a lantern above. He paid it no mind as it lit up the already dimly lit restaurant.

"She needs to train." Hades said. "She doesn't know what she's capable of yet."

"I think she knows what she's doing." Helios said. "Why would she need to train? For what?"

"Times ahead." Hades said. "Wage a war against the gods. Pit them against each other. Me taking over Olympus."

"I think you tried that before." Helios said. "And it didn't work. Otherwise we wouldn't fucking be here anymore."

"I know." Hades said, eerily calm. HJ has expected him to flip out on Helios, but he didn't. "I was too sure of myself then. But Auradon isn't ready for what I have in store for them."

"Yeah they aren't." Helios agreed. "What do you have in store for them by the way?"

"Oh nothing for you to worry about my boy." Hades said with a grin. "Just a little plan."

"It's been five minutes and he hasn't had an outburst." Pain whispered.

"He's making progress." Panic agreed.

"His anger management session is working." Helios said.

"Anger management?" Gil whispered to HJ.

HJ shrugged not knowing what they were talking about. Who in the Isle would help Hades and not expect to be fried in the process? HJ has no idea but it seemed to be working for him. If they  kept listening they'd find out.

"Yes." Hades said. "I've been told I overreact to things and get angry easily. Sam said she'd gave me a medal since I went a week without getting angry. It was a magnificent medal."

"You're trying to beat Captain Hook then?" Helios asked. "Because that's the only other person who hasn't passed on their anger management. Because Sam set the bar really low and you two couldn't pass it."

"Yes." Hades said. "You children decided we needed to calm down a bit. I don't know why we are listening to them."

"Because they know what they're doing?" Pain offered.

"No." Hades said. "We've been on this Isle long enough. All we have done is hate each other. We're not going to get anywhere unless we use our shared hatred for Auradon." He motioned to where Auradon gleamed in the distance. "Then we'll break this barrier down."

"Maleficent said that." Helios said. "Uma said that. What makes you think your any different."

"A good question my boy." Hades said. "But you aren't going to get any answers. I'm not sharing my plan until I'm sure there is nothing that could go wrong—not according to plan."

"So you're saying you don't have a plan." Helios said. "Or you're afraid it might not work."

"I am the king of the Underworld." Hades said. "Something you will be one day. I'm not afraid of anything Helios. I'm not afraid of losing. Because I don't lose." Helios opened his mouth. "And don't you dare bring up my failed attempt at taking over Olympus. I was just too sure of myself. I hadn't thought it through."

"Okay dad I get it." Helios said, shaking his head. "You want a do-over."

"I want more than a do-over." Hades said. "Our time is coming Helios. You just have to wait."

"Who told you that?" Helios asked.

"The fates." Hades said. "They still are bound to help me. They failed me."

"So your plan is to wait and see what happens?" Helios asked.

"No." Hades said. "The naive king of Auradon has decided that more VKs are to be brought over."

"And?" Helios asked, getting impatient. "Who would that be?"

"Sam." Hades said. "We gossip during my sessions. But shh. It's a secret."

HJ blinked in surprise. Sam was going to Auradon and she didn't tell him? Well he hadn't seen her all week so maybe that was part of the problem.

"Okay." Pain said. "Your highness. I get that. But what does that have to do wkth anything?"

"I have instructed her to gain the trust of the King, something she already seems to have." Hades said.

"Then what?" Panic asked.

"We'll use it against him." Hades said. "Come on catch up all of you."

"That's your lovely plan?" Helios asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"It's not all of it." Hades said. "Just some key points. Like I said. I have to work out the kinks. There mustn't be anything that goes wrong. I need the right allies."

"Okay dad." Helios said. "Don't get all worked up over it. You'll lose your medal."

"I'm not going to lose my medal." Hades said, sounding like a child. "I won it."

"Uh Sorry." Helios said. "I didn't mean for it that way."

"I know." Hades said. "You're just looking out for your dear old dad. I appreciate that Helios."

Hades grinned, before he stiffened, his eyes landing on Gil and HJ in the window.

They ducked down, but were grabbed by the back of their jackets by Hadesc who had a less than amused face.

"I don't appreciate eavesdropping." Hades said with a frown.

"Hades put 'em down." A rather familiar voice said from behind them.

HJ craned his neck and was glad to see his blonde friend.

"But Sam." Hades whined.

"No." Sam said. "Put them down or you lose your medal."