27.

"Okay, Ms. Brismé." The doctor came into the room, greeting me. "The urine test came back positive. So, let's take a look at that uterus of yours." She tells me.

My doctor is a black woman with the last name 'Jones'. I'd found her on google when I searched up "baby doctor" on google.

She was Carmel skinned, with a big honey blonde Afro, and fire red nails. Dr. Jones was beautiful.

Dr. Jones flipped up my t-shirt and rubbed a cold, clear gel over my stomach. There was a loud click, bringing the ultrasound machine up and running.

"Okay, let's see..." The doctor thought out loud.

As she rubbed the handheld piece of the machine along my stomach, I kept my eyes locked on the screen between us. A few moments later, there was a repeated thumping noise.

"Well, Ms. Brismé. You are indeed pregnant. I'd say about nine weeks, in fact." She told me, still eyeing the screen. And that's the baby's heartbeat." She told me, looking over at me and smiling.

There were no words coming out of my mouth. Just a dropped jaw. I was in complete and utter shock. Me, nineteen year old Karma, was pregnant by someone grandfather. A grandfather I just so happened to be in love with at that. I couldn't believe it.

"I'll prescribe you some prenatal vitamins. But, I would like you to come back in for bloodwork." Dr. Jones tells me. She scribbled something down on a pad before ripping it off and handing it to me. I came to realize it was just the prescription for the vitamins.

The cities pharmacy was extremely crowded today. With my studio apartment now being in the industrial area of the suburbs, I was surrounded by not too much diversity.

After grabbing my prescription and a few other household items, I stood in the worlds longest checkout line.

"Karma, is that you?!" I heard a familiar voice say. Shit.

It was Laura.

"Oh, hey girl..." I spoke, uncomfortably.

"What are you doing over on this side of town?" She wondered, her eyebrows raised and her hand on her hip. I looked inside Laura's shopping cart and noticed nothing but make up and hair products.

"Well, my building is only half a mile down." I tell her.

"I've never been. You know I go back to school next week. Let's have a girls night!" Laura suggested. Before I could respond, she spoke again. "I really miss you!" She exclaimed.

Finally, I caved.

"Okay, I'll text you my address." I say, smiling weakly. "Okay. I'll see you tonight." Laura smiled. We stood in line for a few more minutes chatting before going our separate ways.

Archibald was waiting at my door for me when I got back home. With him pooping up like this, it sort of concerned me. Josiah was still out on his crazy binge.

"Were you waiting long?" I greeted him with a quick kiss before unlocking the door for us to go inside.

"No. Five minutes, maybe." He replied.

"I don't want to stay long, I have an early flight." Archibald tells me. Immediately, I got emotional.

"Oh, okay." I say in between sniffles.

"Don't cry, Karma. I'm hoping you'll meet me in Miami soon." Archibald reassures me, his hands cupping my face as he gave me a passion filled kiss.

"I love you," I whisper against his lips before we eventually started taking off each other's clothes and falling onto my bed.

After making love for the past hour and a half, I was laying in Archibald's arms while he lightly ran his fingers along my arm.

With Archibald leaving tomorrow, I figured now was probably the best time to tell him about my pregnancy.

"I've been meaning to talk to you," I sat up, beginning my speech. "I'm pregnant." I just let out. It took me a few minutes to work up the courage to make eye contact with Archibald.

When Archibald didn't say anything, I got a little worried. "Well..." I trailed off, hoping he'd say something.

He opened his mouth to speak but when the bell to my apartment went off, I went into high alert. I pressed the button on the voice box and asked the receptionist who it was.

"There's a young lady by the name of Laura Jackson here to see you."

I looked over at Archibald, who's eyes bulged and he quickly began putting his clothes on. I grabbed my silk robe and put it on, securing the belt around my waist.

"Um, tell her I'll be down in a minute or so." I told the receptionist.

Archibald still hadn't said anything.

"Are you okay?" I asked him, watching his put on his shoes. Archibald sighed heavily and sat down on the couch.

"Obviously, I'm an older man." He began, burying his face in his hands. "I love you, and I'm one hundred percent on board with whatever you want to do." He looked up at me and smiled weakly.

"I'm going to keep the baby." I reply, walking over to him slowly, resting my hands on his shoulder.

"Then obviously I need you with me in Miami..." Archibald says slowly, almost in a suggestive tone.

"I'll meet you there."

Archibald cups my face and pulls me in for the sweetest kiss. "Okay." Archibald exits my apartment.

I wait a few minutes for Archibald to get out of the building before I bring Laura up to my place.

"You know, I could've sworn I saw my grandpas car in the guest parking lot. Weird." Laura comments, getting comfy on the sofa.

"Yes, that's weird." I play it off, heading to the bathroom to freshen up. "Make yourself at home, I'll be out in a sec." I assure Laura, who begins walking around the apartment.

I took a quick shower and popped in one of my prenatal vitamins before making my way back out.

Laura stood by the bed, which I had left un-made like an idiot. There were tears running down her cheeks and a watch in her hands.

Archibald's watch; the one he'd taken off before we made love.

"You've been fucking my grandfather?" She questioned me, her twisted up in disgust.

"No, Laura. I-" I tried to say but she held her hand up, stopping my words.

"Don't lie to me. I'm not stupid!" Laura yelled at me.

I swallowed the knot in my throat. "It's more than just sleeping around. We love each other." I tell her, honestly.

Laura burst into laughter.

"You've got to be kidding me." She exclaims in disbelief. I stayed silent.

"This friendship is so over." Laura spat at me, picking up her things and quickly exiting my apartment, slamming the door behind her.