Fifteen: Caught Up In The Moment

I ran my fingers over the fabric of a gorgeous purple prom gown, Thea and I have been in the mall for hours while she tried on various gowns of every color. Thea has always been far more into all of this prom stuff than me, but best friends join each other even on mall outings that they don't really want to take part in.

Prom wasn't for me. Not since my horrible breakup with my ex. We had made plans about prom night and how we would road trip across the country during the summer after graduation. That was something that excited me for prom but since the breakup I always felt down about the thought of what won't ever happen. I'm not hung up on Luke, trust me, but regardless of current feelings there's just some things that remind you of the pain you previously went through. That was prom for me.

"What about this one?" Thea asks as she steps out of the change room in a long, slim fit yellow gown that had silver rhinestones around the neckline.

I smile at her and nod my head, "It's beautiful. Just like the last thirty dresses you've tried on."

"I don't need beautiful, Liv. I need perfection," She demands before turning to face the mirror on the wall, "How does my butt look?"

"Uh..." I'm not sure why it mattered but Thea and I were different that way. She loved showing her body and looking good, not that I didn't but I just don't try to dress in a way to impress others, "It looks great, Thea."

"I should have brought Carter if I knew you were going to be so nice about this," She rolls her eyes at me and heads back to the change room, closing the door behind her.

I take this as my opportunity to escape, telling Thea that I was going to the food court to get some fries and before she can object I dart out of the prom dress store, heading in a random direction just to get away from all of the prom hype.

As I walk around the mall, my eyes can't help but fall on a couple holding hands as they leave Victoria's Secret with a bag of what I'm sure is lingerie. It's Luke and his new, gorgeous girlfriend Leona. She's tall with a beautiful complexion and the complete opposite of me. She had the legs of a model and Luke showed more interest in her than he ever did in me.

Jealousy is an ugly thing but it creeps upon you like a hideous monster trying to corrupt your every thought. I hated Luke for what he did to me but I couldn't keep myself from constantly being hurt over his actions and from seeing him treat another girl better than me.

I feel someone behind me and suddenly whispers fill my ear, "You would look so good in the black that the mannequin is wearing." 

"Cameron!" I jump, quickly turning to face him with a shocked expression on my face.

"So this is where you spend your days off, huh? Browsing for sexy little outfits?" His smirk widens and I want to slap him. He's ignorant. How can one person be so oblivious to the hurt he inflicts on people? I hadn't spoken to him since the incident at his bar, but damn, take a hint.

I open my mouth to speak but my mind draws a blank which makes me feel like a complete idiot. Why was he here? Of all times to go to the mall, why now?

"Don't play shy with me, Olivia," Cameron chuckles and motions his head towards Victoria's Secret, "You wanna go in? If you need an opinion from someone I will gladly be an audience for you."

"I'm here with a friend, I need to go." I say before turning away from him.

Cameron grabbed my wrist and turned me back to look at him, this time his pull caused me to be much closer to him, "Don't be like that with me. You can't stay mad at me forever."

"It's been a day and a half, I barely call that forever," I roll my eyes and pull my arm out of Cameron's grip.

"Yeah, but you work at my bar... You're gonna see me so lets put it behind us. I didn't mean to make you jealous, I didn't think you'd care," He began to speak and the smugness was radiating off of him, "Do you feel like I led you on with that kiss? If we're being honest, I don't know why I did that at the motel... Call it getting caught up in the moment."