Twenty-Seven: Pressing Charges

I'm sitting in front of the police chief, my head buried in my hands as he explains to me how drastic this situation is and how important it is for me to be one hundred percent honest when explaining what happened.

Cameron and my dad are both currently in a holding cell - separate ones, might I add. After my dad punched Cameron all hell broke lose. Cameron isn't the type to just stand by and allow someone to lay a hand on him, within seconds it was a full on fist fight between the two of them.

But why did I end up here? Well, Eddie is someone I have known my whole life. He's been chief ever since my dad became a cop and since I'm the only person who witnessed what happened, my dad's job is in my hands. I need to tell Eddie who threw the first punch. I know it was my dad but my dad was on duty, if the police report stated that he threw the first punch, he could potentially lose his job.

Of course Cameron was going with the story of my dad harassing him and showing up at his bar for no reason, which in some way is true, but the pressure was on for me. I could be honest and cost my dad his job, or I could lie which I've become really good at.

"Olivia, I've known you your whole life and I'm just trying to understand what happened here..." Eddie leans back in his chair, not moving his eyes from me. He's good at reading people and I feel like I don't even need to say anything.

"I'm just trying to process everything..."

"Look, this is hard. I don't like putting you in this position but it's my job, and if something happened that's your dad's job to handle it in the appropriate manner," As he explains everything I already know I simply nod my head. That's just the problem, by law, my dad didn't handle it appropriately. 

I decide to bargain, "Let me speak to my dad."

"You know I can't let you do that, not until you give your statement."

"I'm not just anyone, Eddie. And my dad isn't either... I know it would be bending the rules but I can't do this on my own. There's so much more to the story than you know," I sigh softly, knowing that Eddie wouldn't be able to bend the rules, even for people who are practically family to him, "You know my dad is a good person... Cameron pushed his buttons, he went too far and my dad... He was defending me."

Eddie arches an eyebrow, leaning forward with concern on his face, "Did Cameron hurt you?"

"Physically, no..." I shake my head, tucking a strand of my brunette hair behind my ear, "He uh... Things happened between us. But it was all a ploy to get back at my dad for whatever drama has been happening between the force and Cameron's bar."

"I'm sorry, Olivia. You're gonna have to give me more than that... Someone hurts your feelings and your dad jumps to your defense, I get that if this is his little girl getting bullied on the playground, but it isn't... With the little information you're giving me, I don't understand your dad's motives. So just tell me, who started the physical aspect of the fight?"

"My dad did... But he had a reason."

"Your friend could press charges, you know. I can handle it privately as of right now but if charges are pressed it would be a big deal in the media because your father is a cop. Cops are being watched carefully these past few years, with the assumption that they use their power to hurt civilians, the media will eat this right up."

Eddie's words make sense, but he did say that is only if Cameron presses charges. Would he really? Nothing surprises me with him anymore but I would hope he has inflicted enough pain on my dad.

"I want to see him," I say.

Eddie nods his head, "You dad is in holding cell number six."

"No... I want to see Cameron."