Twenty-Five: I'm Sorry

"Happy prom day!" My mom grins as she takes a photo of me with the flowers that she had given to me no more than five minutes before.

It's hard for me to be excited, I'm alone in this stupid dress and this was supposed to be a huge moment for me, but it's not. Carter and Thea aren't talking to me, I can't ask my boyfriend to join me because he doesn't know I'm only a senior in high school, and in the back of my mind I know that after tonight I'm going to tell Cameron. For real this time. 

I've spoken to Roxy briefly and promised her that I would tell Cameron everything, otherwise, she would have to tell her brother the truth. Her warnings fell flat in my ears, while I ignored her words. She would never say good things, knowing that her classmate is dating her brother. Her opinions are one of someone who is judging, not someone who is speaking truth.

"Lisa, honey. Give her room to breathe," My dad tells my mom as he pulls me into a tight embrace, "I am so proud of you, Olly. You worked hard and earned the right to enjoy yourself tonight."

"Thanks, dad," I smile at him before looking at my mom, "I'm going to head out, okay? I'm already running late, so..."

"Of course, go on and have fun, sweetie," My mom hugs me for the millionth time tonight and reluctantly lets go, "Just please don't be one of those girls who get a hotel room an--"

I couldn't let her finish, it's disturbing to even hear my mother implying such a thing. I would be nowhere near a hotel room tonight, not because of Cameron but because there is far too much going on in my head to even consider ignoring it all and sliding into the sheets.

My drive to the venue for prom was quiet and lonely, Cameron called me a few times but I let the calls go to voicemail in attempt to keep my mind clear tonight. Though that deemed impossible. The venue was filled outside and I imagine it's even more crowded inside, leaving a part of me considering bailing on this entire night. I'm not sure why I'm even here aside from holding onto my childhood dream of the fairy-tale prom night is supposed to be.

My eyes dart to my phone that is set on the passenger's seat as it rings again, Cameron's name popping up on the screen. I can't ignore him any longer, so I answer his call.

"Hey," I say softly.

"Thanks for answering me finally," He jokes but I wonder if he's serious, "Can you come by? I know it's your night off but Zoey called in sick, and it just gives me another reason to get you over here."

I smile to myself but look down at my lap, "Cameron, I can't... I'm sorry. I just have this thing. How about I come after closing? Maybe spend the night if you want me to."

"Wow, seems like you got what you wanted from me," He adds, this time I know that he's kidding, "Come over after closing. I'm missing that smile of yours... And of course that body."

I hear him groan on the other end of the call when he mentions my body and I can't help but giggle, "I'll see you then."

But I wish I could just leave and see him now. I can't, though. I owe it to myself and my hard work during high school to be here and celebrate my success. It doesn't feel like there's much to celebrate but if I don't attend prom, I will surely regret it later.

When I walk into the venue there's already people dancing, drinking, and making out - then there's me. Slowly shifting the the quietest corner and secretly look around for my friends even though they don't want to see me. That I am sure of.

"Olivia, you look amazing," A familiar voice interrupts my thoughts.

I turn around and fall silent, unsure how to approach this but for the first time in a long time I decide to be mature, "Thank you, Luke. You look nice also."