Mirrored (Wolfstar)

Remus raised his face from his knees, pulling them tighter to his chest when he hears it. The oh-so-familiar boot steps against the wood floor outside the door. His spine was pressed uncomfortably into the door but he couldn't bring himself to move. He had yelled at Sirius, not giving the other boy a chance to speak. Telling Sirius he was sick of it, sick of Sirius ruining a perfectly good night with this irrational fear of his. He'd left Sirius standing, speechless, in the common room and locked himself in the dormitory.

He heard the boot steps stop outside the door and there's a soft knock that Remus barely heard. "Re?"

Remus isn't sure if it's the wood between them that makes Sirius's voice sound thick or emotions.

"Re...please, are you in there?"

Remus's chest aches. His reflex is to answer. To reassure Sirius as soon as possible, but he's done with it. He's done with Sirius protecting him. Mistrusting anyone who approaches Remus. He's definitely done with letting Sirius blame it on how much he loves Remus. It's more than that and they both knew it.

Remus holds his breath as he hears two thuds, Sirius's knees hitting the floor. Then a softer thud, Sirius's forehead dropping against the door.

"I know I fucked up Re. I know okay? I know I-I don't know why I..."

Remus closes his eyes and let's his head fall back against the door. Then he freezes, because Sirius definitely heard that. There's a moment of silence and he hears Sirius let out a breath.

"Fuck...you're right there aren't you?"

Remus bites his lip. He swears he can feel the heat of Sirius's body through the door.

"I don't mean to do it Re. I just-I get so jealous. I get...I get so worried. I know it sounds stupid but I do. You mean the world to me and if some guy just came and-"

Remus hears another thud right next to his head and then a curse.

"Remus I'll try harder. I know you'd never...I know it wouldn't ever happen. You've never done anything to make me think you'd hurt me...hurt us." Remus hears a soft, sad laugh. "I'm realizing I'm the one who's doing that."

Remus takes a deep breath and turns, pressing his hands against the cool wood door. Leaning his forehead against the door as well. Somehow, he knows he's mirroring Sirius's position. He hears Sirius let out a shaky breath and his heart tightens. 

"I really will try just...please open the door Re. Can't we talk?"

Remus's body responds faster than his brain can think about it. He sits back on his heels, turning the lock and opening the door. Sirius's head snaps up, his hands still outstretched as if the door were still there. His eyes were red and his hair a mess, like he'd been constantly running his hands through it. Remus wants to say something, to tell Sirius this isn't over. That there's still things that needed to be worked on and fixed. That it would take some work.

"I know." Sirius reads Remus's face and he nods. "I know Re, I do...god. Just-come here...please. Please..."

Remus falls into Sirius's embrace.

"You have to try...you know I'm yours." He says, combing his fingers through Sirius's hair. Sirius keeps his face hidden in Remus's neck but he feels Sirius nod and kiss his neck and really, that's all the answer he needs.