CHAPTER TWENTY

*I thought I'd change up the POVs a bit, just so it was easier to tell the story from multiple angles if that makes sense 😊*

*3RD PERSON POV*
The week after the disastrous press interview was one of both (mainly) stress, and enjoyment for the boys. The press wasted no time in splashing Freddie and John's relationship all over the front pages of every paper in the damn country (John was sure of it), and it was only a matter of hours before they were hounded at their hotel too. Both the younger and older lads felt horrible for shoving Brian and Roger into the mess they'd created, but their two band mates (mainly the drummer) assured them they couldn't care in the slightest. They got mobbed wherever they went, adding a few extra cameras wasn't going to hurt.
The stress of the press meant their only enjoyment came from performing. They had a show the day after the interview, which was somewhat well received. A few heckles had come from the audience here and there, but nothing they couldn't ignore or brush off. The show after that (which came the day the newspapers were released) was even better received! The crowd acted like any other, excited to see their favourite band performing. Freddie had tried twice as hard as usual to make the show something brilliant. He wanted to assure the audience that nothing had changed, that they still put everything into delivering the best performance they could muster. Both he and John were relieved, to say the least, that the show went off without a hitch. The younger was terrified something would be said and he'd be sent into another ghastly panic attack. They had all, even Freddie, tried to convince John to go back to a doctor for more anxiety medication. He needed it, he couldn't keep breaking down every second day! They knew he was scared he'd become addicted again, but he couldn't live like he was. They had even devised a system, one of them would take the pills with them each day (each day, a different lad) so he would only take his recommended dosage, but the bassist wasn't having it. He was adamant he could handle it.

"How is he today?" Roger asked as Freddie joined him and Brian at their table. They'd all decide to meet up for breakfast in the hotel restaurant before they left for rehearsals that morning, though the blonde couldn't wait apparently, already having his plate of food in front of him, piled high enough to feed all four of them.

"Better." The older man nodded, sighing a little as he stared at the menu. "He said he'd be down in a minute."  He added, quickly ditching the thought of food as he turned to watch the doorway anxiously. Some more lies about their relationship had been plastered on the front page of yesterday's newspaper, triggering another attack for John. He hated them, yet he couldn't bring himself to take anything again. He thought about it, he really did, but he knew he couldn't control himself, and he didn't want to put himself in the position to hurt Freddie again. He knew his boyfriend wouldn't take it a second time, and he couldn't risk losing him.
Roger and Brian shared the same look of concern for their friends as they eyed one another off. They were worried about the pressure the papers were piling on top both Freddie and John, and their relationship. The two had seemed to be a little distant the past week, even after Roger's pep talk to the distraught singer. He wanted nothing more than for them to be the way they were before all this drama, but that seemed like it was worlds away from how they were now.

"Have you guys spoken about it?" Brian quizzed, earning Freddie's attention as he turned away from the door.

"He won't talk about it Bri." He sighed again, feeling defeated. Freddie wanted to help his love more than anything. He wanted him to be how he used to be, before all of the bullshit that occurred in the last week. He tried, lord knows he tried, to get him to talk, to open up about what was bothering him, but John wouldn't budge. It was causing quite the bit of friction between the couple, and he was scared he'd lose the person who meant so much to him.

"You've got to push him to talk about it Fred." Brian urged. "Him bottling everything up isn't going to solve his problems."

"You don't think I fucking know that?!" Freddie snapped loudly, causing a few people from neighbouring tables to glance in their direction. Roger sent them a small smile and wave, trying to show that everything was fine and nothing to be concerned about, as his friend pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. "I've tried Brian, I've tried to get him to talk to me, but he won't. He won't listen, he won't talk. He's fine apparently. Fine and fucking dandy." He ranted with a scoff. "I just want him to be okay, to feel okay, but I don't know how to do that when he won't bloody talk to me." He finished, angry tears forming in his eyes.