Chapter 7

Mabel felt disoriented upon waking up

Mabel felt disoriented upon waking up. Her throat ached badly as she gulped to get rid of dryness. A wave of panic washed over her as she finally noticed the unusual surroundings. It was completely dark except the light seeping from what seemed like a door. But, the smell was very much familiar to her, the smell of disinfectants. It was the hospital.

It took her a few moments to recapitulate all that had happened since the day at carnival. The black wolf attacking the wolves that harmed her was the last memory that she could recollect. She got up and realised that her right arm was covered in a splint. It felt numb at the moment.

Deciding to not pay any heed to her injuries, she took the drip out, whimpering at the slight pain it caused. She slowly got off the bed and took fastened steps towards the door. Her foot struck the leg of the bed, causing momentary pain to shoot up.

"Ouch", she let out a cry of pain.

The door opened abruptly and light seeped into the dark room.

"Are you alright, ma'am?" Mabel got surprised as one of the two bulky men asked her.

Before she even had the chance to reply, the other man spoke up
"Of course she is not fine. I'll just go and call the doctor."

"No! It is alright, sir. I am completely fine."

"But, ma'am we need to report it to the doctors" With that said, the man scurried out of the room before letting her say something.

He returned with the doctor, just as soon as he left.

"I need you to lay down so that I can check on your vitals and the drip needs to be hooked to your arm for the night Regi- uhh ,I mean ma'am."

"But, I can't stay for the night, sir. I need to leave right now."

The doctor and the two men have her nervous looks and that was when another tall and muscular man, who looked oddly familiar barged in through the door and rushed towards her.

"Out", he said in an inhumane voice.
The other men ran out of the room with the blink of an eye.

Before she could make a move to follow them out, he ran to her and hugged her. Mabel was caught off guard by this gesture of his and that was when it clicked that he was the man who was carrying her in the forest the other day. Was it today, yesterday or a few days ago? She did not know how long she had been away from her family. She needed to return to them soon. She was lost in these thoughts when a quick peck on her temple brought her out of her reverie.

Her cheeks warmed as he did that. She had never been this close to a stranger. She felt really uncomfortable at the moment and wanted to hide her face when the stranger started stroking her cheek.
After overcoming the shyness, she mustered some confidence.

"Who are you?" The voice came out squeaky, giving away the fact that she was nervous.

"My name is Valdus, mea columba." He gave her a sincere smile.

She returned his affection with equal warmth.
"Hi, I am Mabel."

"Mabel" The name rolled out his tongue like butter.

Arius wanted to be let out. He was jealous of Valdus. He too, wanted to get to know her, talk to her and spend time with her.
"Stupid wolf can't stay shut. " Valdus muttered under his breath.

"Umm sir, I need to use the washroom. "

Begrudgingly, he let her go and guided her to the washroom.

He felt a calm feeling wash over his heart. Yet, at the same time, she sent it into a frenzy.

She came out and immediately launched the question he was dreading.

"Thank you for your generosity but I need to leave. My family must be worried."

For a moment, it felt as if his heart had stopped beating. What if she wants to stay with them forever? What if she does not want to be with him? The questions loomed over his mind. No, he decided, he will not let that happen. Nobody has the right to take her away now. He will not allow his life to go back the same way it used to be earlier. Even if the moon goddess herself begs him to give her away, he will not do that.

"Sir... Excuse me... Valdus "

Hearing his name being called, he snapped out of his thoughts.

His name sounded so exquisite coming from her mouth.

"How long have I been in this hospital? "

"You have been here since morning. It's 9:30 p.m. right now. "

Her eyes widened in panic. She has been missing for a day and a half.

"Uhh, Can I use your phone for a moment please?  I need to call my family so that they can pick me up.  I don't want to bother you anymore."

Hi!  I hope you are liking it so far. It really keeps me motivated when I get response from you guys. So,  thanks!

 So,  thanks!