Chapter 11

Mabel felt as if her head was going to burst anytime now. She could not breathe. Her breaths were shallow. Her body felt cold and numb. She was in desperate need of warmth. It felt like somebody had placed heavy stones on her eyelids.

 She had fallen asleep in the forest due to exhaustion. But, now she could no longer feel the rough patch where she had been lying earlier. Instead, she was now lying on what felt like a mattress. She somehow managed to crack her eyes open and look around. She saw a woman coming rushing towards her with a thick blanket. She needed to contact her family before she passed out.

"C-can y-you inform m-my family?" She spoke in a groggy voice.

The nice woman hurriedly nodded and grabbed her phone lying on the side table. She recited the phone number that her parents had made her learn when she got lost as a kid. Her fractured arm had started hurting too, causing her to let out a groan of pain. Her vision started fading away from the corners. She could still hear the ringing voice of the woman talking on the phone, probably to her father.  And slowly, she lost all her senses, becoming completely unconscious.

**************

Valdus, on the other hand, was travelling to her place, hoping to finally find her. Arius had been on edge the entire while. Valdus would be lying if he said that he didn't feel the same as Arius. Mabel was their mate. 

In due time, Valdus reached her house. He could smell wolves all over the place. The door seemed to be closed. He kicked the door open and went inside. The Browns were startled. Perhaps, Mabel was back. But, they had not expected the king to stand at their door.

"Where is she? " The king roared.

Their exhausted eyes clearly showed confusion.

"Mabel!" His voice gave away his desperation.

"She is not here." Cedric said with worry tainting his voice.

"Where is she then?"

"W-we don't know."

 Valdus was frustrated now. He was almost certain that he would find Mabel here. But, there was no sign of her. It was as if she had vanished into thin air. He had searched every possible place where could be. Valdus had no idea as to where he was going to look for her. He felt helpless. 

Being a king, he had access to everything and everyone, except his mate. He somehow calmed himself and thought about the situation, trying to figure a way out. He decided to go out and look around the outskirts of the forest to check if someone around had seen her. He was not sure if he would able to find her, but there was a possibility.

"She does not know anything about werewolves. Please don't execute her." Cedric cried out.

Valdus looked at him in confusion. Why would he come here to execute her? Realization hit him just a second later. They thought that he had come here to execute her since she probably knew about the existence of werewolves. The reason for his presence was far from what they had assumed. 

Paying no heed to the pleading Browns, he walked outside, leaving them waiting for his response. He had a far more important mission at hand than to give justification to someone he did not consider important. He was about to open the door when he heard the conversation between the couple.

"Pick up the phone, Cedric! It must be Aiden. Perhaps they have found her." Hope could be heard in the woman's voice.

Valdus put two and two together and concluded that they were talking about Mabel. The phone had stopped ringing and the man started talking to someone. However, he could hear only one side of the conversation.