Chapter 13

"Why are you packing my stuff, ma? Are we going somewhere?" Mabel asked, excited at the thought of getting to travel.

"We won't be coming along. You will be on your own, baby." Olivia replied while taking some clothes off the hanger.

"Oh! Are you planning on sending me on a solo trip? Am I not a bit too young for it? And is dad okay with it?" Mabel wondered as to how her mum managed to convince her dad. He was protective of her and would never allow her to go alone to an unknown place, especially when she was slightly unwell. Her arm was much better and did not hurt as much as before. She had almost recovered from the hypothermia as well. 

"Well, I convinced him somehow. And, it isn't a trip to exact. You'll be staying with a-uh an acquaintance for a while." Looking back at a seemingly confused Mabel, Olivia added, "Your papa and I will be away for a while due to business and we don't want to leave you alone." She smiled to reassure her daughter.

"Oh! When exactly are we leaving and when will you guys be back?" 

"You'll be leaving in 5 days and we'll be gone the day after that. And, I am not really sure as to when we will be back."

****************

The next 5 days were some of the best days of her life so far. For some inexplicable reason, her parents took spoiling her to another level. They did gardening together, prepared meals together, watched movies till they would fall asleep. They would even do all those silly things that they used to do when Mabel was younger. And much to her surprise they even allowed her to feed her sweet tooth whenever she wanted to. It was weirding her out.

On her last day, they were going through the old albums which were a bittersweet reminder of the fact that Mabel was now grown up and she would be leaving them the next day. They had never anticipated that one day Mabel would have a mate and he would snatch her away so ruthlessly. They had been under the impression that she will get settled with a suitable human, once she'll be old enough and will be tucked away far from the werewolf world, that her family had protected her from, for so long. 

"Look at this one." Olivia pointed to a picture of a one-year old Mabel sleeping on Cedric's chest who was adoringly looking caressing her head.

"Ohh and this one" It was a picture Mabel's first day of kindergarten. She was adorning two tiny pigtails as she smiled goofily at the camera.

Olivia and Cedric could feel Mabel slip through their fingers just like sand does, as they kept on flipping through the pages of the album, which was now pointing at a 15 year old Mabel laughing at something, they couldn't really remember. Mabel was about to shut the album close as they had reached the end when she felt a warm drop of transparent liquid hitting her hand. She looked up and saw her mum's watery eyes. 

"Ma, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" Mabel threw a worried look at her mum.

"I-It's just that we don't know when we will be back. We don't want to leave you behind. Only if we had an option.", Olivia muttered the last part to herself.

"Ma, don't worry! I'll be fine. And, it's not like you are leaving me forever. You'll be back as soon as you get done with your work, right?" Mabel tried faking a smile to reassure her mother when she herself felt just as sad. She had never been away from her from both her parents for more than a day or two. Someone was always with her. But, she was a grown-up now, in her own eyes at least. Though, her papa would have opposed the thought. 

"Ok, so what movie are we gonna watch today?" She finally resorted to changing the topic to uplift everyone's dampening mood. 

****************

****************

I know I have been gone for months without any updates. I am sorry about that. I think a lot of you would have forgotten about the book while I was away. But, let's see how it goes.

I'll try updating soon. 

Until next time! <3