Chapter 14

Finally, it was the day when she had to leave. Her bags were ready. Her mum made her pack almost all her belongings. She couldn't help but feel like she was going to spend her entire life there. Perhaps they would really be gone for a long time. The thought made her upset, but there was nothing that she could do about it. And the fact that her parents had been acting really emotional the entire morning did not help.

The knock on the front door brought her out of her reverie. She was about to get the door when her papa beat her to it. Her guardian, well interim guardian was here. The moment she looked at him, she had realized that the next few minutes were going to be quite awkward for her. It was the same weird man that she keeps on meeting despite running from him. She had almost forgotten about him, until now. She couldn't even recall his name. Was it Valente or was it Valter? She blamed her poor memory for being so forgetful. It was quite a rude thing to have forgotten his name. 

 She looked expectantly at her father to re-introduce him. She wondered if her parents knew anything about her running away from him. To her surprise, they never asked her much about what all had happened when she got lost in the forest and how she had ended up in the hospital. She was kinda grateful for it. Those seemed like distant memories anyway. She herself wasn't too keen on recalling all that had happened.

Finally taking the hint, Cedric took it upon himself to introduce them.

"This is my uh-friend. You are going to live with him at his place." He quickly finished the short description as if he had crammed the entire thing. 

Mabel had never met this friend of her dad. Did he recognize her as the runaway patient? He probably did. She grew timid as she noticed his gaze on her. She felt a bit embarrassed for having run away from him, not once but twice. And here he is, her father's friend. Now, it was all the more awkward for her. 

She sent him a weary hi. Wanting to avoid him , she told her mother that she was going to get her last bag from her room. 

"I'll be back soon." She muttered as she gave a last glance to her room.

She could hear the hushed voice of her father as she walked downstairs.

"-doesn't know, Rex."

So, his name was Rex, she wondered. But, she was pretty sure that it wasn't what he had told her. Shoving these thoughts to the back of her mind, she walked into the living room with her bag where they were waiting for her. 

"We'll be leaving now." Rex's deep voice rang in her ears as he left the room. 

So, this was it. She was finally leaving. The thought made her eyes itch with unshed tears. She will miss her family. Her teary-eyed parents did not help the surge of emotions she was feeling at the moment. Her dad put a comforting hand on her back as they walked out of the door. Her luggage had already been wheeled out. 

Her mother let out a sob as she was about to open the door of the exquisite car. She turned back and hugged her mother tight. Few tears escaped her eyes too.

"I'll miss you. Come back soon. I love you." She told her mum as she went to hug her dad.

"I'll be waiting, papa. Don't make me wait much. I love you."

"Love you too." He let out a few tears too. She had never seen him cry before. She was caught off guard by his tears. 

Were they really going for so long, she wondered.

"Shall we go now?"Rex's voice took a much softer tone as compared to what she heard before. 

She barely nodded and threw a final glance to her house and her tearful parents.

*******************

The entire ride had been pretty awkward for Mabel. She had been looking outside the window the entire time to avoid talking to Rex. She was embarrassed and did not know how to face him. She had no clue as to how she was going to live with somebody that she couldn't even talk to. Being awkward really sucked sometimes.She was relieved that he had not yet initiated a conversation with her.

The car had reached the airport and she couldn't wait to already reach wherever they were going and lock herself and get a break from the awkward situation. She had a few hours at least to get there. Sighing internally, she got out of the car, just as he did. They got their luggage and she started following him, merely two steps behind. He was walking very slowly, she noticed and then he stopped walking altogether. She looked up at him and that was when she actually realized that he was very tall. She waited for him to speak up but he never did, instead he just held her hand and started walking with her by his side. She was 17, definitely not a kid who needed to hold hands but she kept mum. Perhaps he took his responsibility of looking after her  too seriously.

She looked forward to this new phase, a short temporary one, but a beginning nonetheless.

*******************

*******************

Hello! I was MIA for about a year and now I am back, not sure if I am back for good though. I have this on and off urge to write something but I can't write longer stuff. I don't know why. Anyway, I think  some of you might have thought I wasn't going to update, but here it is. I am not sure if you remember the story. I'll be shocked if you do. So, if anybody is still reading, I'm really grateful to you <3