Chapter 10

Valdus had just completed his work. The treaty had been signed by both the packs. Now, he could finally return to his mate. Arius had been nagging him this entire while, they were away from her. He too wanted to go back earlier. But, he had to get the work done and the best time to do that was when she was sleeping.

It was 6:30 am now and he was heading towards the hospital. Arius almost howled in joy at the thought of being closer to his mate.

The driver parked the car in the parking lot.There was a certain strangeness in the air. He could smell a very weak aroma of a human, along with that of honeysuckle. It reminded him of Mabel.  Red sirens started blaring in his mind. He rushed towards the second floor, where she was staying at the moment. He saw the two guards that he had assigned, posted at the door of her room. Their calm and casual expressions gave him a sense of relief.

His wolf still growled at him to hurry.

"Good Morning, meus Rex. Regina is sleeping inside." One of the guards spoke with confidence, at being successful in discharging his duties.

He nodded at the two guards and asked them to leave. He opened the door and silently went closer. When he could not hear a heartbeat, panic gripped his entire being. He pulled the bed sheets off her body. But, nobody was present besides a few pillows.

He was affirmative that she had not been taken away due to the absence of other scents. It took him a second to realize that she had run away. Her scent was faint too, which meant she had left hours ago. His mind was all over the place.

"Where are the freaking guards?" He roared.

The guards quickly rushed inside her room. He held both the guards by their throats and pinned them to the wall.

"Where is she?" He loosened the grip slightly, so that they could speak. The two of them gave each other a confused look before taking a glance at the now empty bed.

"S-she was sleeping h-here. W-we don't know. "

"What do you mean, you don't know? Did you leave her while I was away?"

"Around 2:30, the n-nurse in the adjacent room had d-dropped her equipment. We went to check to e-ensure that it was not anything dangerous, that could harm Regina."

"Is that the justification you have got?"

The guards kept mum.

"What was your job?"

"To keep R-Regina safe."

"And you both pathetically failed at it. I had warned you. Be ready to face the consequences." Valdus gave his final word and walked away.

"Please Rex!  We have our families to look after. "

"You say, you have to look after your family. What about my family, my mate who is in danger due to you two fucktards! " Valdus snarled at them.

He started tracking the slight scent of his mate, leading him to the emergency exit and ultimately to the parking lot. His suspicions were confirmed. He let Arius take control, for his strengthened senses could be very useful.

"Mate. Mine." Arius let out a loud cry, which was strong enough to shake people miles away.

He madly began searching for her smell, out in the open air. But, he could not detect the scent.

He mindlinked the alpha of the Serenity pack, where he was currently staying.

"I want everyone's houses in your pack checked for a human. I want her to be treated with utmost respect. And contact me as soon as you find her. Also, I need your warriors to look around in the forest, the area over which we made the treaty. I want this to be given prime important and no mistakes." Arius almost growled through the link.

"Meus Rex, if you don't mind me asking, who are we exactly looking for?", the alpha asked curiously.

"None of your concern Alpha. Focus on your task." Arius snapped at the pack alpha.

With his mate in possible danger, he was losing control over his ethics and mannerisms, not that he cared about those in the first place.

The only possible reason for her escape was meeting her family, Valdus thought. He had to search for them. He contacted his best detectives to look for her, throughout the state again, in all packs and human establishments. Though she, most probably did not belong to a Were family, he did not want to take a chance. He gave them all the information he had about her and unwillingly, sent them an image of her through the mindlink. The image was a very detailed one, every crest and trough of her face was etched into his memory.

Both Arius and Valdus were getting antsy as time was passing. It was 7:20 am now and she had been missing for almost 5 hours now. It had been raining very harshly a little while ago. He hoped that she had turned to the pack, instead of the woods. Finding her in the forest, would be very difficult. He was worried about the dangers it entailed.

There was no time for him to think negatively. So, he decided to begin the search through the forest.

"I want all of you to look in different directions. Inform me once you find her. And be careful with her.  Have I made myself clear? "

"Yes Rex" the warriors replied and began their search.

Arius had been looking around for over an hour now and still, there was no sign of her. He was not even sure if she was in the forest. He was following his instinct.
All of a sudden, something pale azure caught his eye. He picked the wet cloth up and smelled it. It faintly smelled like her. It was a torn portion of her hospital gown! Dread filled him. Was she even alright?  He did not know.

He tightened his grip over the cloth and calmed himself down, for her sake. At least now, he knew where he had to look for her.

Hours of searching bore no fruit. He had now reached the end,  opposite to where he had started. There had been no signals from the warriors about her location.

Valdus had to think of something else. He cannot give up, especially when it was about her.

Arius gave control back to Valdus.  Arius was physically stronger,  but given the circumstances, Valdus' wisdom was required more than Arius' strength.

Valdus mindlinked the alpha to check if any pack member has seen her after her disappearance. But, nobody knew anything.

He contacted his detectives. He hoped that they had some good news for him.

"We finally know about her family. Surprisingly, she lives with a Were family. That was why when we looked for her human family, we could not find it." The detectives told him.

"Send me all the details you have got."

"Sure, meus Rex."

Valdus went through her details. One thing that did not add up was her being a human,  when both her parents were werewolves.

The only option,  he could think of, was to look for her at her home. He was really hoping to find her before she reaches her family. But, now that he could not find her, he would be content if he finds her completely safe. It did not matter if she was with her family, as long as she was fine.

                                                             *******************
                                                             *******************

Hey! Sorry for delaying this update. Also, I am grateful for all the support I have been getting. It means a lot. So, thanks! I think I'll be updating regularly since I haven't really got much to do before my university starts. Do give reviews in the comment section. And also don't forget to upvote if you liked the chapter.

:)