Yugi vs Mai

~Nikki~
"The first duel will now begin. Mai Valentine vs Yugi Moto. Duelists, please proceed to the arena. Joey and Keith made their leave and Mai and Yugi went to get into position. Joey and I walking away. We both made it up by our friends. Tea had just wish Yugi/Yami good luck.
"Hey," Joey and I greeted as he rested on the railing.
"What's with you two?" Bakura asked surprised to see us.
"What? We're just getting a birds-eye view of the actions. Isn't that right, Nik?" Joey asked me. I nodded.
"Right, Joey," I said.
"Go, Yug! Wipe her out, man!" Joey cheered. I smiled.
"Show Mai what you're made of!" I cheered next. The two draw their cards and they are ready.
(Mai-2000, Yugi-2000)
"Here I come, hotshot!" Mai said to Yugi.
"Right!" He smirked.
"Duel!" They both said and the duel began. Mai drew her card and Yami chuckled.
"If you're dueling honorably, you can't try your psychic act on me like you did with Joey," Yami told her.
"Uh oh, no tricks this time, Yugi," she said proudly. I smiled. I believe her, she has come a long way. "I'm not all smoke and mirrors, kiddo. Even with my tricks I can still duel with the best of them. I play Harpie Lady (1300 ATK, 1400 DEF) in attack mode!" Mai said. Her Harpie Lady appeared.
"That move seems to be Mai's standard opening play," Tristen pointed out.
"Be careful, Yugi! Watch out!" Tea told him.
"Nothing to worry about. Yugi knows what's coming, Tea. He's seen Mai's Harpie Lady in action like a billion times already," Joey told her. I nodded.
"I agree, let's just not be surprised if Mai has come up with a new strategy because of it. I believe Yugi will win and that will never change," I smiled. The others nodded agreeing with me.
"And now I'll play this second card face down which will end my turn," Mai said placing her card down.
"I summon Gaia, the Fierce Knight (2300 ATK, 2100 DEF) in attack mode!" Yami said as he played the card. Gaia appeared. "Attack Harpie Lady with Spiral Shaver!" Yami ordered. Mai didn't look worried as Yami ordered the attack. She wanted the attack to happen!
"Thanks, Yugi. I wanted you to attack. It triggers my trap," Mai said as a glass wall appeared in front of her monster. Gaia then attack his reflection.
"No, my Knight!" Yami gasped as the cracks of light appear on Gaia.
"Your Gaia ran smack into my Mirror Wall which cuts any of your monsters' attack power in half. As soon as your monster attacked the Mirror Wall rose up to protect my Harpie Lady. Your Fierce Knight met an equal attack from its own reflection, draining half of its attack points," Mai told him. Gaia now had 1150 ATK. "Pretty darn slick, huh, Yugi? Guess it's my turn again," Mai said drawing and activating another card. "High fashion for Harpie Lady; Cyber Shield!" Its then golden armor appeared on Harpie Lady (1800 ATK, 1400 DEF). "The makeover's complete. Harpie Lady, attack Gaia with Cyber Slash!" Mai ordered. Harpie Lady flies over and destroys Gaia. "Well, like they say. Nice 'Gaias' finish last," Mai joked.
"He's gone. Harpie Lady's claw attack reduced my Fierce Knight to ribbons!" Yami gasped. I noticed Yami was shaking just as his voice was. Now I was worried.
(Mai-2000, Yugi-1350)
Mai chuckled.
"I'm surprised you fell for that trap, Yugi. Don't tell me you're losing your edge in the championship game. If I didn't know better I'd say you're holding back," Mai said. I looked at Yami worried. She was right. Yugi was holding Yami back because he didn't trust him enough. Please, Yugi, trust him for Grandpa! Yami drew a card.
"I'll lay a card face down and play Summoned Skull (2500 ATK, 1200 DEF) in attack mode!" Yami said as his card was played. "Summoned Skull, electrify that Harpy with Lightning Strike!" Yami ordered. Summoned Skull goes in for the attack, but Mai smirks and holds up a trap card.
"You're really off your game today, Yugi. You've made the same mistake twice," Mai stated.
"The Mirror Wall!" Yami asked. It happened again!
"That's right! Back again!" Mai teased. Summoned Skull now had an attack of 1250. "Now Summoned Skull's attack points have been cut in half too," she said.
"Then it's...it's a permanent trap," Yami realized.
"Very good," Mai said. She was talking like she was talking to a little kid! "A couple of turns too late, but now you're catching on. Better hurry and get that little brain of yours in gear, Yugi," she told him.
"Most of the trap cards I've encountered before disappear from the field once they've been sprung. So you're permanent trap took me by surprise. It's the exception to that rule," Yami said with narrowed eyes.
"Mhm, it's very exceptional, just like me. As long as it stays on the field once they've been sprung, it'll unleash the same delightful effect again and again every time you launch an attack. Get it? No matter how many time you try to come at me, your monsters can never reach my Harpie Lady. Let's face it, you're gonna have to bring your game up a few notches just to keep me interested, Yugi," Mai told her. Yami was shaking more now to where everyone else could see it.
"Mai's right. Yugi's game seems off," Bakura agreed.
"His strategy's whack, man. He can't just attack like that. Why isn't he thinking through his moves like he's always telling me to do?" Joey asked.
"Oh, Yugi...what are you thinking?" Tea asked. I nodded agreeing. Mai frowned.
"What is with you? I expected a real battle from you and all I get is this lame frontal assault. The only reason I duel Yugi aside from the islands trips, the cars, the clothes, the prize money, is the thrill of trouncing a worthy opponent," Mai told him.
"Are you saying I'm not worthy?" Yami asked offended.
"Not today, kiddo. Your body maybe in this arena, but your head and your heart have split for parts unknown. It's really a letdown," Mai said bluntly.
"You're questioning my fighting spirit as well?" Yami asked still offended.
"Bingo. It still seems you're still shell-shocked by the trouncing you got from Kaiba in your last duel. Well, get over it. I'm your opponent now and I want to beat someone battling at his best. Not some duelist who acts like he's afraid of his own shadow. You gotta shape up and get your act in gear or I'm going to knock you right out of the tournament," Mai told him.
"You don't understand. It's not about Kaiba!" Yami told her. I know a part of it is. Honestly...this isn't even Yami dueling, this is all Yugi.
"Whatever's going on it's boring..." Mai complained.
"I can't let you win, Mai!" Yugi declared. Mai raised an eyebrow.
"Let me win? Listen hun, the way you've been playing today I don't think there's a single thing you can do to stop me. I promised you an honorable duel, Yugi just as I did to Nikki. And I thought you'd give me the same. You ready to duel for real now? Are you going to put your heart in it or are you going to punk out?" Mai asked.
"Wish she'd zip it. Mai's even more obnoxious when she's winning," Tristen said annoyed.
"Yugi, don't let her psyche you out, man! You've just gotta ignore her!" Joey told him.
"But didn't Mai promise Yugi an honorable duel?" Tea asked. I nodded.
"Yes, she did. She is giving him an honorable duel though," I said looking at Mai.
"What? Whose side are you on?" Joey asked me. I sighed.
"I'm still on Yugi's side. Never doubt that. But what Mai is telling him is the truth. Yugi is holding back and Mai is trying to help him out of it. She actually helped me when I dueled her to get my brother out of his slump. She wants a real duel and wants Yugi's dueling spirit to be in it. What she is saying is what I would say to Yugi myself if I were dueling him. Of course, I would making sound nicer," I said. My friends then understood and nodded.
"Believe me, Mai. I'm giving it all that I can," Yugi told her. I know Mai wants to believe that as much as I do. "I promise you, Mai, I'm not about to lose this duel. Now, make your next move," Yugi said with a confident smirk. Could Yami be helping him a little now? Mai seemed like she was in deep thought as she drew her next card. She looked at Yugi's face down card. Most likely a trap card.
"No attack this time. Instead I'm gonna sweep your trap away with Harpie's Feather Duster!" Mai declared. Yugi gasped as Mai's card took effect. Two pairs of light green wings appeared on Harpie Lady, she creates a whirlwind around Yugi's face down card and destroyed it. We all saw what the card was.
"The hidden card I had played was the Spellbinding Circle. If you had declared an attack, your harpy would've been ensnared in the trap. Very clever of you, Mai," Yugi said with remorse. Mai smirked.
"I do appreciate the compliment. Keep your eyes on me, Yugi," Mai's smirk turns into a frown. "I might teach you a thing or two," she told him. This isn't good. Mai still has that Mirror Wall trap. If Yugi keeps attacking then his monsters will just be useless. He needs to adjust his strategy.
"I'll switch Summoned Skull to defense mode," Yugi said doing so. "And to finish my move, I'll play a monster face down in defense mode," he added.
"Not much else you can do, is there, Yugi?" Mai smirked. "Since I've left you ono way to attack. My turn now," Mai draws her card. "I play Rose Whip to raise my monster's attack powers!" Mai said. Harpie Lady's whip appeared then giving her an attack power of 2100 points.
"Now your monster's going to feel my Harpie's sting. Whiplash attack!" Mai ordered. Harpie Lady attacked the face down card which was Feral Imp. Yugi growled in frustration. "That's nothing, Yugi. Stick around, the funs just beginning," Mai told him.
"Looks like Mai's really got Yugi rattled," Tristen said.
"Watch it, Yugi! Mai's probably gonna try to multiply her Harpie next! Don't let her!" Joey warned.
"Yugi, don't give up!" Tea called out. Yugi won't even listen to me, so I just stayed quiet. He has to trust Yami or it's all over.
"You promised you would try harder, Yugi," Mai said dead serious. "But I see now that that's not gonna happen," Mai said drawing her card. "Now what do we have here?" Mai asked herself. She smirked...not god. "Well, with this card my Harpie combo won't be quite complete, but it'll give me more than enough power to vaporize that grungy old skull of yours. Allow me to introduce the ever faithful servant of Harpie Lady!" Mai played her card. Mai played her card and it's then we saw flames erupt and a dark pink dragon appeared.
"What is that?" Yugi asked shocked.
"Harpie's oh so cuddly Pet Dragon (2000 ATK, 2500 DEF). Sweet as a kitten, isn't he? Well, sweet as a fire breathing kitten can be, and he gets 300 extra attack points by sitting bear his master," Mai said. Pet Dragon now had an attack of 2300! "Now, blast that skull to ashes. Fearsome Fire Blast!" Mai ordered. Pet Dragon attacked. Summoned Skull was destroyed.
"My Summoned Skull!" Yugi gasped. Mai smirked.
"I told you, Yugi. You've got to concentrate if you're going to stand a chance against me!" Mai told him. She gave a look of concern. "Why are you playing so poorly, Yugi? I've got you on the ropes and you're barely putting up a fight," she said shocking him. "I want to duel you at your best, but there's only so far I'm willing to go. You know, I remember Joey once asked me an important question why I duel. The answer I gave him was frivolous, but honest. Can you answer the question, Yugi?" She asked him.
"I'm dueling for my grandfather, Mai," Yugi answered without hesitation.
"Hey! He's got a heck of a lot better answer than you did, Mai! Listen, me, Yugi, and Nikki aren't just dueling for ourselves, ya know!" Joey told her.
"Well, that's what you say, but tell me, could it be that your motived aren't entirely selfish?" Mai asked with a small smile.
"Huh? What are you saying, Mai?! That maybe we should be more like you? Well, I guess we could do that," Joey told her. He starts hugging himself with a goofy smirk on his face. "I'm gorgeous, I'm such a great duelist. I love me!" Joey mocked. We all sweat dropped.
"You are such a twit," Tea said bluntly making Joey's face falter.
"Joey, can't you tell I'm trying to be serious?" Mai asked annoyed.
"I can see that you're trying to seriously mess with Yugi's head! And you're making him and me and everybody crazy and dizzy and..." Joey starts to slip on the railing. Bakura cover his eyes in fear while I, Tea, and Tristen try to help Joey. We got him back over.
"Will you control yourself?" Tea scolds him. I sighed irritated.
"I'm going to have a heart attack soon because of you!" I bonked him on the head.
"You're wrong, Joey. I'm not trying to confuse Yugi, but you're off kilter even without my help," Mai told him. Joey becomes angrier.
"What's that supposed to mean you little..." I interrupted him.
"JUST GIVE IT A REST ALREADY! IF YOU DON'T STOP RIGHT NOW, I'LL TURN YOU INTO MINCEMEAT! UNDERSTOOD?!" I shouted at him. Joey screams and hides behind Tea and Tristen.
"Y-yes, ma'am!" Joey whimpered. I smirked and nod approvingly. I look back at the duel. "She's really scary when she's mad," I heard Joey whimper. Bakura was also hiding behind Tristen while Tristen and Tea nod in shock. Yugi drew his next card. He looks like he's thinking.
"I'll lay on card face down and then throw Dark Magician (2500 ATK, 2100 DEF) in defense mode!" Yugi said. His favorite monster appears on the field then. "That ends my turn." It's his best card so Yugi may still have a chance!
"Now it's my turn!" Mai drew a card and I saw the smug look on her face. Not good! "I play this accessory card, the Shadow of Eyes!" She said playing her trap card. Yugi was confused though.
"The Shadow of Eyes?" He asked.
"Watch the arena, Yugi. I really don't think you're gonna like this at all!" Mai told him. Dark Magician rises his staff to attack making Yugi's eyes widen in shock and horror
"This this? My Dark Magician is switching to attack mode?" He asked.
"That's right. That's the magic of Shadow of Eyes. It exudes an irresistible force that can lure even the mightiest monster into battle," Mai told him. There was lavender mist all over the field and I saw Yugi flinch.
"Mai's trying to force Yugi into attacking!" Joey realized.
"That means that throwing monsters in defense mode is useless too!" Tristen added. I just looked at Yugi worried.
"Now what are you waiting for, Dark Magician? Attack Harpie Lady!" Mai ordered. Dark Magician goes to attack but it hits the Mirror Wall! His attack points are now 1250! I could see that Yugi was angry, but I'm not surprised. That is his favorite monster. "And I know that you played a trap card. So I'll play Harpie's Feather Duster to give you a dusting off!" Mai said. She did as said and now the card was gone. It was Yugi's Mirror Force trap card! "Now to blow some extra smoke down your way. Dragon, attack with Fearsome Fire Blast!" Mai ordered. Dark Magician was destroy making Yugi glare at Mai.
(Mai-2000, Yugi-300)
Mai chuckled.
"You don't have your favorite card the Dark Magician left. What are you going to do now?" Mai smirked.
"Yeah, what is Yugi going to do now?" Joey agreed.
"Yugi, you can still turn this around. I know you can!" Tea told him.
"Uh, yeah. It only looks hopeless," Joey said. I glared at him making him shriek and hide behind Tristen again. I looked back at Yugi worried. Trust Yami now!
"What's the problem, Yugi?" Tristen calls.
"Mai is. She's gone and put aside all her silly card tricks and played his duel flawlessly," Tea said.
"Who would've thought she was this good? Could it be that it was just sheer dumb luck when I beat her before?" Joey asked.
"It wasn't luck, Joey. I lost that duel to Nikki because she knew something I didn't," Mai told him. We all looked at her confused. "I learn more from that duel than any other I've ever played. It's true, Joey. I learnt my lesson from Nikki that day that I never really wanted to learn. I didn't know it then, but it would change me and the way that I looked at dueling. I had to take a long look at myself and admit that the reason I relied on tricks was that iw as afraid. Afraid to trust in my own abilities, afraid to trust in myself. Like you trusted in yourself, Nikki and facing up to that wasn't easy, believe me," Mai told me.
"You've really changed, Mai," Yugi said.
"Joey, do you know why you really made it to the final round of this tournament?" Mai asked.
"Heck yeah I do! I made it this far because I got my friends Yugi, Nikki, Tea, Tristen, and Bakuga behind me, cheering me on and telling me I can go all the way," Joey answered.
"That's true. That's very true, you're friends wer with you all the way, but you had the guts to look inside and face up to what you saw there. You looked your demons in the eyes and faced up to them," she told Joey. She then looked at Yugi. "And that's a lesson everyone should learn," she told him. I nodded agreeing with Mai.
"I did that?" Joey asked shocked. I smiled at him.
"That's right. In that game you helped Nikki teach me a duelist can learn more from her defeats rather than her victories. You taught me to face up to my fears, not just to try to bottle them up," Mai said. I nodded again. "So, Yugi. Hve you faced up to your fears? Whatever freaked you out in your battle with Kaiba, have you come to grips with it?" Mai asked. I looked at Yugi who seemed to be battleing with himself. I then knew Yami talked to him by the look on his face...Yugi is trusting Yami.
"Mai, thanks for reminding me that a true duelist faces his problems. You were right, I was holding back, but not any longer," Yami smirked. I looked at Mai.
'Thank you,' I mouthed to her. She nodded at me. Yami drew a card.
"I play the magic card, Brain Control!" Yami said.
"Brain Control? What's that? Mai asked.
"With this card I can brainwash any enemy monstre and control it for my a turn," Yami said as the brain appeared on the field. "I'll use it to seize control of Harpies Pet Dragon," Yami said. Now Pet Dragon was agasint Harpie Lady. Harpies Pet Dragon raored. I smiled. Mai chuckled a little.
"Nice more, Yugi, but Harpies Pet Dragon is only a servant to Harpie Lady and even brainwashing it would never turn against it's master. Yugi, you just made your final mistake," Mai told him.
"I know that, Mai, but I don't intend to attack your Harpie. First I place this card face down and add Catapult Turtle. Now lets put Harpies Pet Dragon on the catapule in attack mode because I've called an attack, your Mirror Wall appears and I'm going to knock it down with your own dragon. Catapule launch!" Yami ordered. It was then the Pet Dragon flew at the Mirror Wall and destroyed it.
"Nice going, Yugi!" We all cheered.
"He shattered my Mirror Wall to pieces!" Mai said shocked.
"And that's not all. My assault has accomlished more than to shatter the defence you've built, but because it was your monster I fired from Catapult Turtle, half the attack points from the dragon get deducted from your life points. The tide of this battle is turning, Mai," Yami told her.
(Mai-850, Yugi-300)
"Alright! Way to go! Now you're socking it to her, Yugi!" Joey cheered.
"It's my turn," Mai drew her card.
"Bring on your assault, Mai!" Yami told her.
"Now I will...not attack. I'm not falling for your trap and there are other moves that I can make. For example, I can use this card to triple my Harpie attack force. I play Elegant Egotist," Mai played her card making two more Harpie Ladies appear. "Not bad, huh? That ends my turn, Yugi, but on my next turned I promise you'll get a taste of my Ladies claws and I promise you won't enjoy it," Mai told him before laughing.
"That's too bad, Mai. You really should've attacked me," Yami smirked.
"Well, that's your opinion," Mai shrugged off. I smirked knowing what was going on.
"No, it's fact. If you had called an attack then you would've won," Yami told her.
"But your trap card...!"
"It's not a trap, Mai," he told her. He revealed the card. "It's a Monster Recovery card. You fell for my bluff. It's a whole new duel now, Mai, for this turn I'll activate the Monster Recovery card. put my hand back into my deck, re-shuffle, and then I can draw five new cards," Yami told her. I see his face drop slightly looking at his hand. Come on, Yami, I know you can do this.
"Each one of my Harpies have an attack power of 2450, there' sonly a handful of cards in Duel Monster that can stand up against that and with that look on your face, you haven't drawn one," Mai told him.
"Yugi! Don't let up, keep fighting!" Tea shouted makign me and Joey cover our ears.
"Pipe it down, Tea!" I told her making her smile sheepishly.
"This car in defensive mode," I heard Yami say placing a card down.
"But you can't, remember? My Shadow of Eyes instantly switches all monsters into attack mode," Mai reminded.
"All monsters? No, Mai and that's what will save my life points this turn," Yami showed his card. Mystical Elf! "Shadow of Eyes may lure men into battle, but it doesn't work on female monsters," Yami told her.
"No! I forgot about that!" Mai freaked.
'You'll have to attack her instead of me," Yami said.
"Made it with all his life points still in tacked," Tea said relieved.
"Sure he may have gotten throught his turn, but that doesn't mean he's out of the woods just yet," Bakura pointed out. I nodded agreeing.
"Mai's Harpies have a stronger attack force so it won't take long before Mai destory's Yugi's Mystical Elf,"I added. I then smirked. "But I have no doubt Yugi has a plan," I stated.
"Okay, so let's see where we stand. You're on the board with one measly Elf and it's my turn," Mai drew her card. "First I'll use this Monster Reborn card to bring back an old friend," Mai said.
"Not good!" I said as the others gasped.
"Remember Harpie's Pet Dragon? He back and he gets 300 attack points for each Harpie on the field," Mai told him.
"Oh no! He now has 2900 attack points!" Yami exclaimed.
"And every single point aimed right at you," Maid smirked. Her Harpie Sister attack Mystical Elf.
"She wiped out his last defense!" Tea gasped.
"Your times run out, Yugi. Next turn I'll eliminate that remainder of your life points! And then, looks like I go onto the finals," Mai said to him. No! This can't be happening! Yugi needs to win for his grandfather! I see that Yami is hesitant now.
"Yugi! Don't let this attack freak you out! This duel isn't over so you can still win! I know the stakes are really high, but I know yu can do this! I've seen your every duel and you've always drew the right card! That card always helps you at the last second! We all believe in you! Grandpa does as well and he needs you! Don't let him down, brother!" I told him. Yami stared at me shocked for a moment but giving me a smile. He nods at me and draws a card.
"Come on now. No matter what Nikki says we all know I'll wipe you out on my turn," Mai smirked. I see the look on Yami's face.
"Wanna bet, Mai?" I asked smirking. Yami smirked too.
"Swords of Revealing Light!" He shtued plaing his card.
"Alrgiht! That holds Yugi at bay for three turns! And buys Yugi some more time to figure a way out of this mess!" Joey cheered.
"Decided to go down fighting, huh? Well alright. A surrender would be easier, but if you're really determined to go down in a blaze of glory I'll be only too happy to light the fire," Mai said.
"No, Mai. What I intend to do is to go out in a blaze of victory. Nik was right when she said I tend to pull the right card at the last second and I intend to do just that in this duel," Yami told her as he drew a card. "My only move for this turn, Kuriboh," he said. I smiled as the cute little fur ball appeared.
"Oh, it's the attack of the giant, three toed hairball. Look, it's totally ferocious, Yugi. I think it want's to attack Harpies Pet Dragon single handed!" Mai laughed. "What? You don't think that's funny, Yugi?" Mai asked.
"It's not, Mai. Laugh all you want, but don't mistake the Kuriboh as a joke when it's an important step on my way to victory in this duel," Yami told her.
"That hairball couldn't be an important step to anything excapt maybe to choke a cat. Anyway, I can't attack as long as Swords of Revealing Light is still in play. So I draw this one card and that will end my turn. But soon, you're gonna be history," Mai said. Yami drew a card.
"This card worked for you. Monster Reborn. I used Monster Reborn to bring back Gaia, the Fierce Knight!" Yami said.
"Oh Fierce Knight Smierce Knight. I geuss he's an improvement over that little Kuriboh, but he hardly represents a threat to my Harpies and their super charged pet. Two turns to go," Mai said.
"That'l be enough, Mai," Yami draws. There is then a look of disappointment on his face.
"Yugi..." Tea sighed worried.
"Just keep your cool, Tea. Relax, you can tell from the look in his eyes, he's not about to give up," Joey said. I nodded.
"That's how Yugi is. He never gives up. I know Yugi will win," I said.
"It's my turn now!" Mai draws.
"Mai isn't even trying to hide her next move! She's got so much fire power she thinks she's got this in the bag!" Joey shouted.
"Only in her opinon. Sure, Gaia and Kuriboh aren't a match against her monsters, but if Yugi's doing what I think he's doing, he'll make it," I said. Mai's monsters are freed.
"Didn't get much help out of your three turns, did you, Yugi?" Mai asked. He draws a card.
"Well, Mai, you've put up a good fight, but now the duel ends," Yami said as his smile grew. "Starting with this card, Black Luster Ritual!" He played. I grinned.
"He did it! I knew he could do it!" I cheered as his card was activated.
"Watch as the Black Luster Ritual works by sacrificing all of the monster I have placed on the field. Combining their energies of my two separate monsters and forces of light and darkness intertwin, opening the gates of chaos. Bringing forth, the Black Luster Soldier(3000 ATK, 2500 DEF)!" Yami said as the process was used with Gaia and Kuriboh.
"Is that reallyt he legenday Black Luster Soldier?" Mai asked shocked.
"Now, Black Luster Soldier, Chaos Blade attack!" Yami ordered. The Soldier attacked and Mai's Pet Dragon was destroyed. "Harpie's Pet Dragon is vanquished."
"Just like that...my most power monsters...is gone..." Mai said shocked.
(Mai-750, Yugi-300)
"This is outstanding! For a minute there I didn't think that Yugi would be able to pull it off!" Joeysaid.
"I don't think Mai did either," Tristen told him.
"Who would've thought there would've been a way to bring that kick butt monster out of Yugi's deck?" Joey asked. Tea looked at me
"Was this what you were thinking of, Nikki?" She asked me. I nodded.
"Yup! I mean, sure, it was one hell of a risky move as no one has ever been able to pull it off, buy Yugi actualy was able to do it like I knew he would!" I grinned. I looked at Mai who placed her hand on her deck.
"Mai? So does this mean that you surrender?" Yami asked.
"No way," Joey murmured.
"Um, so what happened?" Tea asked.
"Mai surrendered. When a duelist places their hand over their deck like that, that means they surrender the duel. That last move really shook her up," I informed.
"Poor Mai," Tea said.
"I'd rather not see my Harpie Ladies destoryed on the next turn. I already saw that happen once when Nikki dueled me. The duel is yours, Yugi," she said before walking away.
"Wait, Mai. There's something I want to say to you," Yami said making Mai stop. "Thank you. You said a duelist can learn more from defeat than from victory and you were correct, but you, Mai, you taught me a lot today. I had to confront my own fears, my own weaknessess, or I could never have defeated you," Yami told her.
"It's awfully nice of you to say that, Yugi, but it seems to me I still have a lot more to learn. After dueling and about myself, but I suppose all duelists never really know all there is to know. And mayeb the most important lesson is that defeat really doesn't have to be forever. You won this duel, Yugi, but there'll be others. You and I will meet in the arena again, kiddo and when we do you'd better watch out," Mai looks at Yami. He gives her a thumbs up and keeps walking.