Legendary Heroes Part One

~Nikki~
It was great to be back home and going to school again. We had gotten back from school and Joey bought and traded a couple of cards.
"Just put it on my tab, Gramps," Joey told him.
"Your tab's past due, Joey," Grandpa replied.
"Here's an idea, Joey. Just pay the man," I told him.
"Ha! Like I'm gonna listen to the girl that has a crush on Kaiba. Yeah right! Forget it! No thank you!" He denied. I gave Joey the death glare showing what he said wasn't funny. He put his hands up in surrender. "Right, touchy subject. Sorry...just don't kill me," he whimpered. We then heard the door open. We turned to find Mokuba there soaking wet and panting.
"Someone, help me, please," Mokuba said weakly. I ran over and helped him upstairs. I got him so dry clothes, a blanket, and some hot chocolate. I placed my arms around him to warm him up. He didn't hesitate to snuggle next to me. He then told us what happened.
"So you're saying the only way Kaiba can escape is by winning the game?" Yugi asked.
"But if those creeps reprogrammed the entire adventure just to keep him trapped there, how is that possible?" Tea asked.
"I don't know, but I thought... I thought you guys could help us," Mokuba said holding his tears back.
"Calm down, Mokuba, we will, we will," Grandpa told him softly. "Tell us about this virtual pod your brother was designing," he said.
"I don't know much, I was pretty young when he started it, but I remember him spending endless hours working on the prototypes to make it perfect," Mokuba told us.
"Prototypes? So there're other ones?" Joey asked. Mokuba nodded.
"Mhm. In their lab. It was his dream to create the world's ultimate virtual adventure land, but those corporate jerks turned it into a nightmare," Mokuba said. He looked like he was about to let his tears go about now. I gently pulled him to me and kissed his head.
"Lousy suits. We'll show them like we did Pegasus," Joey said.
"Huh?" Everyone looked at him. Yugi stood.
"That's right. We'll use those pod prototypes..." he started.
...go to that virtual world. and rescue Kaiba," I finished.
"Thanks guys," Mokuba said with a small smile. It was then we all took off.
"We'll be back soon, grandpa!" Yugi said.
"Be careful!" Grandpa replied.
"We will!"
"Hey, wait up! You guys don't even know the way!" Mokuba told us. After a while me finally made it. "Here it is, Seto's personal laboratory. They don't like anyone messing around in here, but I used to sneak in all the time," he told us. He climbed over and let us in. "This way! This is where Seto keep his private stuff." We made down there. "Big sister!" Mokuba said.
"Those are the prototypes?" Joey asked looking at the panel. Mokuba nodded
"Yes, just like the model my brother is in," he said.
"Four pods, looks like there's enough for all of us," Joey said.
"You mean three of you. I'm going as well," Mokuba said.
"Your the only one who know how to work this thing. You should stay here," Joey told him.
"Yes, but I also know the most about the virtual adventure, which is we're going too," He argued.
"Good point," Tristen agreed.
"He told you," I agreed.
"Well, then get in," Joey told Mokuba. He turned to Tristen. "Take care of my gorgeous bod, pal," he joked making us laugh. Mokuba explained everything to Tea and Tristen about the panel then. "You guys had better be careful," Tea said to us.
"We'll be fine, Tea," Joey told her.
"Yeah, don't your worry about a thing. We'll have Kaiba rescued in no time," Yugi agreed.
"Tristen, let her rip!" Joey said giving the start as we were all ready.
"Right, here we go," Tristen said. the lids closed and the visors appeared over our eyes. "Virtual upload now," Tristen he flipped the switch. It was then we were taken into the virtual world. I woke up in the middle of a forest with mine and Seto's Duel Disk on my arm as well as my deck.
"Man that felt weird," I mumbled.
"You're telling me," I heard Joey said. I turned and saw them. We then made our way through the forest. Mokuba leading the way.
"I'm glad I've got my dueling deck with me, but this life point count makes me a bit nervous. I mean, I know what happens in a video game when you lose a life, but I wonder what happens here. Kind of a scary thought," Yugi said.
"No joke, Yug," Joey agreed. We then made it to the graveyard.
"Whoa, speaking of scary," Mokuba said. I gave a small smile.
"It's hard to believe this is all virtual and not real," Yugi said.
"Yeah, well it looks plenty real enough to me," Joey said. We kept walking.
"Zombie alert!" Joey yelled. We turned and saw Armored Zombie standing there. Seconds later, Clown Zombie and Dragon Zombie appeared.
"Wait a sec, these zombies are nothing, but duel monsters. So if I just draw a card then...then I don't really know what," Joey said.
"Let me show you how it's done," Mokuba stepped forward and drew a card. "I summon the Rude Kaiser!" He said.
"And I summon the Dark Magician!" Yugi summoned.
"I summon the Queen of Angels!" I summoned next. Our monsters appear on the field.
"Attack!" We all shouted. Rude Kaiser took out one while Dark Magician and Queen of Angels took out the other two.
"So that's how you do it in virtual world," Joey mumbled.
"They're back!" Mokuba said.
"I got this! I summon the Flame Swordsman! Flaming Sword of Battle!" Joey ordered. The attack points rose on the zombies.
"Joey, cancel your Flame Swordsman's attack! Hurry!" Yugi shouted. The dragon came back after it was destroyed.
"That dragon's reforming again!" Joey gasped. "What is going in here? Everything we slay on of these zombie monsters, they come back ever stronger," Joey said.
"That's true, but no matter how strong their attacks get, they still have one major weakness. Think about it, Joey. Remember you've defeated them before," I told him.
"Huh? Oh yeah, zombies have a zero defense power, so by activation Shield and Sword, I can reverse their attack and defense points so their attack becomes zero. Okay, there all yours, Yug and Nikki," Joey told us after playing the card.
"Dark Magician, Dark Magic Attack!" Yugi shouted first.
"Queen of Angels, Angel's Light Wing attack!" I ordered. It was then all the monsters were destroyed. We all cheered happily.
"Nikki, check this out," Mokuba pointed to the cards that had 5s on them. Four of them, one for each of us. "What is it?" He asked me. I raised an eyebrow.
"Um...virtual money I think. It has a picture of coins," I said.
"Hey, my life points aren't going back up," Joey complained.
"I guess the monsters play for keeps," I said to them. It's then we heard giggling. A little fairy appeared.
"What is that thing?" Mokuba asked as we walked over.
"Hey, I bet it's one of them fairies they put into these game to help the players out," Joey said.
"Well, I can't be sure. Quick, let's follow it," I said running after the fairy. They guys followed.
"I can't keep up!" Joey groaned. We were out of the woods and he fairy was gone. "Dat slippery little sprite," Joey grumbled.
"Look!" Mokuba ran to the edge of the cliff.
"What is it, kiddo? Did you find anything?" I asked walking up next to him.
"No, but I think I found what it was trying to show us," He said. We looked down and saw a small village.
"Whoa, it's an entire virtual town!" Yugi exclaimed.
"Let's go exploring!" Joey said to us. We all then made it to the village and looked around. "I'm glad we already ate before we got here," Joey said. He was looking at the lizards that were being cooked.
"You said it," I agreed.
"Check this out!" Yugi called. We walked over and we saw a stall selling Duel Monster Cards.
"Cool, hey this might come in handy here. We'll take it!" Joey said.
"I don't that it works that way," Mokuba said.
"Um yeah....it cost about 2000 points," I said to them.
"2000 points! Well, we must've at least scored that many from those zombies!" Joey said looking at his card...only five. "Only five! Not even close!" Joey said. I chuckled.
"Come on, guys, let's concentrate on finding Seto first,"I said. Yugi nodded agreeing with me.
"Yeah, you're right. Let's split up and scope this down for clues," Joey said. I nodded.
"Search every street. Question every virtual person you see. Somebody must've spotted him or know something about what happened to him. Someone, somewhere can help us. That's the way these games work. When we're done, let's meet up by the water fountain," I told them. We all split up and looked around. I asked everyone I saw, but they hadn't seen Seto. I went to the fountain and sat down. Yugi joined then. "Anything?" I asked.
"No, sorry, Nik," Yugi answered. I smiled a little.
"It's okay, Yugi. We'll find him," I said. Joey ran over. "Joey, did you find anything?" I asked.
"Yeah, I found out I hate virtual dogs," he said. He showed us the dog that was attached his butt making me laugh. I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. "So not funny," Joey pouted.
"Oh you sure do have a way with animals, Joey," I teased. I calmed down and whistled. "Hey, boy. Come here," I patted my leg. The dog let go and came over to me. I pet him. "That's a good boy," I said to him.
"Thanks, Nikki. Good thing your good with dogs," he told me rubbing his butt. I smiled and winked.
"I'm just too good," I said making the boys laugh. Mokuba ran over.
"Hey guys, I got a great lead!" Mokuba told us. I smiled.
"That's great, kiddo! Where?" I asked him. He led us to the edge of he village.
"See that mountain? Well and old woman I was talking to said that she saw a man with a prisoner heading there this morning. Supposedly there's some sort of ancient temple at the top and the only way to get there is by crossing this desert," Mokuba told us.
"Great, so where's our ride out?" Joey asked. Mokuba and I just ran ahead.
"Hey! Wait for us!" Yugi shouted.
"Hey! Us includes me!" Joey shouted. I laughed at him. We were now half way across in a sand storm. I had my face covered with my arm while Mokuba held my hand.
"I gotta hand it to Kaiba. This virtual sand, it tastes like real sand," Joey complained.
"We should go back, it's too rough!" Yugi said.
"No! We can't! We have to keep going!" Mokuba said. I wanted to agree with Yugi, but I wanted to get to Seto. Suddenly there was a sand twister.
"It's a sand twister!" Joey shouted.
"Brace yourselves! It's coming right towards us!" I shouted as I covered Mokuba and Yugi with my body. The next thing I know, we're being lifted up by the twister and I black out.
"Hey, Nikki! Wake up!" I heard Joey's voice call out as I was being shaken. I groaned and opened my eyes to find Yugi and Joey there.
"What...where are we?" I asked rubbing my eyes.
"Right back at the start," Joey answered.
"Are you alright?" Yugi asked worried as he and Joey helped me up.
"Yeah, I'm fine...where's Mokuba?" I asked him. Yugi looked behind him and I saw Mokuba. I ran over and looked him over. "Are you okay, sweetie?" I asked. He nodded, but I saw he was sad. I grabbed his hands. "Hey, we'll find Seto, I promise. I'm worried about him too, but we have to stay strong if we want to find him," I told him. He nodded at me and hugged me. I kissed his head and we went over to Yugi and Joey who were talking with an old man. Apparently we need a Niwatori card to pass the desert.
"Man, I can't figure out what he's trying to tell us," Joey groaned.
"Maybe on of the card stands on the way in has one," Mokuba said.
"Yeah, maybe," Joey agreed.
"It's worth a try. There's certainly plenty of card stands in this town. Surely one of them has to have it," Yugi said. We all nodded and searched around....we couldn't find it!
"Man, I can't believe it!" Mokuba said as we sat at the fountain. "We check every stand in town and not one of them has that Niwatori card."
"No wonder it's such a prized bird around here," I grumbled emptying my boots for sand.
"Wait, prized! That's it!" Yugi bolting up and took off.
"Yugi!" Joey and I shouted after my brother.
"That's what the told man meant!" I heard Yugi said.
"Huh? Say what?" Joey asked.
"Come here! Look! It's an announcement of a contest," Yugi explained showing us the picture.
"Fame, glory, and the prized Niwartori card await the heroic warrior who can beat our champion. Signed the Grand Battle Shield and Combat Outfitter of Shadow Coliseum,"I read.
"Yes! Let's sign up! I always wanted to be a warrior!" Joey cheered. We made our way over and saw a toad like human.
"One of you as a coliseum warrior?" He asked as we signed up. "I don't know. This city takes it's gladiator matches quite serious. But if it's a shot at the champion you desire, one moment," he told us. He then saw a fly and ate it. I made a disgusted face. Gross! "Far be it for me to stand in your way...even a girl. Here, your battle mask and combat cape," He handed Yugi a green cape and pig mask.
"Wow, is all this stuff really necessary?" Yugi asked.
"Yes, if you're going to lose all your life points, you may as well look like a hero," the guy said before walking away.
"All of my life points?" Yugi asked.
"Give that stuff to me, Yug," Joey told him.
"What do you mean, Joey?" Yugi asked.
"I'm not letting ya risk your life points for this pal. I'll fight that champion," he answered. I sighed.
"But, Joey, you already have less life points than the three of us," I said.
"Yeah, looks like I'm just going to have to extra careful then, huh? But so will the champ once he sees the skills that I have," Joey said.
"Okay..." Yugi said with hesitation.
"Yeah, thanks, Joey," Mokuba told him. I smiled as I wrapped my arms around Mokuba's shoulders.
"You really are the best, Joey," I told him. Joey winked at us.
"Forget about it. Being a hero is what I do best," he said. I chuckled as the three of us made our way to the stands.
"Yugi...do you think Joey can win this?" I asked Yugi. He looked at me.
"I certainly hope so. He seems confident enough, so I'm sure he'll pull through somehow," he said. I smiled a little and nodded.
"Ladies and gentlemen. We have at last found a soul brace enough to challenge our champion! I present to you the purveyor of pounding, the picture of pertinacity, the pig that packs a punch, introducing the challenger, Senior Porky!" The announcer said. We then saw Joey walk out with the cape and masked on. I giggled at the sight.
"Looks like Senior Dorky to me!" I head someone shout.
"Yea, no joke! The champ will have a field day with this joker!" I heard another say. My hands clenched into fists at how they were talking about Joey. Jerks.
"Come on, Joey!" Yugi cheered.
"You can do it, Joey!" I shouted.
"Now, introducing our undefeated champ, the fall out of mayhem, the queen of mean, Madame Butterfly!" the announcer said. The champ who was sitting on a chair was then being carried out by a couple of men. I took a good look at the champ...she looks tough. But...she also looks familiar. I sure hope Joey can do this.
"Hah, I knew guys could be dirty pigs, but I didn't know they dressed the part. I hope you can duel better than you smell, you swine," Madame Butterfly said. Her voice sounds very familiar.
"You know what I like about butterflies? They don't talk!" Joey retorted. Joey then summoned his Flamed Swordsman.
"Have I got a girl for you? Harpie Lady!" Butterfly summoned. No...way....Flame Swordsman attacked.
"I knew it. Pigs don't know about trap cards. Mirror Wall," the girl said playing her card.
"Yugi...didn't Mai always play that combo?" I asked.
"Yeah, but it can't be....could it?" He asked. Madame Butterfly laughed. She then quipped Harpie Lady with Rose Whip raising her attack points.
"It is her!" I gasped.
"Hold on," Joey said. He took his mask off. Mai called off her attack.
"Joey? Is that you?" Mai asked taking her mask off.
"What are you doing here, Mai?" Yugi asked as we ran over.
"Yugi, Mokuba, Nikki? I'm testing this game for some suits in Kaiba Corp." Mai answered.
"Mai, you could be in danger," Joey told her.
"Yeah, those suits kidnapped my big brother," Mokuba told her.
"Kaiba's in the temple across the desert, they've trapped his mind in this virtual game," Yugi finished.
"Kaiba's here?" Mai asked. I nodded.
"Mhm, and we need the Niwatori card so we can cross the desert and rescue him," I told her.
"That's the prize card for this match," she realized. The crowed was shouting at us and it wasn't cheering.
"Uh, I know this crowds a fake, but they look really mad to me. We might have a problem getting gout of here without finishing the duel. Besides, even if we do escape, we still won't find Kaiba without that Niwatori card," Joey said.
"Well, I'm not too sure about crossing a desert, but I'm over this place and I'm positive that I can get that Niwatori card," Mai said. She had Harpie Lady use her Rose Whip to get the card.
"Uh oh, we're in trouble now!" Joey shouted
"Run for it!" Mai shouted next. We all ran out of the arena with the crowd chasing us.
"We've got to reach the desert!" Mokuba exclaimed as we ran.
"Oh, this is much better than dueling!" Joey said sarcastically. He stopped
"That's it! I've had enough! Trap Hole!" He activated his trap card. They then fell into a hole and he caught up to us.
"Nice one, Joey!" I told him as we ran. It was then we reached the desert. "Okay, time to see if this card works like the old man said. Would you do me the honors, Mai?" I asked her. She nodded with a smile.
"You got it, girlfriend," she told me. she activated the card making five Niwatori birds appear. We got on them and made our way across the desert.
"Wait, did you say Kaiba Corp paid you to come here, Mai?" I asked after a little bit.
"That's right," she said.
"Wonder why," Joey thought out loud.
"Probably to test it. To make sure everything would go according to plan when they used it on our brother. Still, they couldn't have planned all of us. Huh, look over there!" Mokuba pointed. A geyser made of sand appeared shooting right in front of us.
"It's an earthquake!" Mai shouted.
"No! It's another obstacle programmed into the game!" I told them.
"What is it?" Joey asked as a monster appeared. "Oh no, it's a sandstorm monster!" He said.
"We're never gonna get passed that!" Mokuba shouted.
"Alright then, I'll kick over this sand castle with my Red Eyes Black Dragon!" Joey summoned his card. "Red Eyes Black Dragon, Inferno Fire Blast!" Joey ordered. Hid dragon attacked and the monster was gone. We all cheered for that. "And bu-bye," Joey grinned and the sand storm cleared.
"Hey, look over there, do you guys see what I see?" I asked pointing across the desert.
"Some sort of temple. It must be what we're looking for," Yugi said.
"Is that where they're keeping Kaiba?" Mai asked me and Mokuba.
"An old woman told me it was the temple across the desert, so that's got to be it. Seto's got to be there!" Mokuba said. I smiled and we got going then.
"Go, Drumsticks!" Joey shouted.
"Uh, guys, Joey named his chicken," Mai said.
"It's a Niwatori, Mai!" Joey corrected.
"No one cares, Joey,"I told him. Finally, we reached the temple.
"Wow, look at the size of that thing!" Joey exclaimed. It was huge!
"Phew, here at last," Mai said as we got off our Niwatoris. Mokuba jumped down and started running into the temple.
"I'm coming, Seto!" He shouted.
"Mokuba! Wait up!" I shouted running after him.
"There's no stopping him. Come on, quick. Let's go after him otherwise we're gonna lost both of the Kaiba brothers!" Joey said. They all followed behind me. We finally caught up to Mokuba and we looked at the temple...reminds me of when Keith trapped us in that cave. "Jeesh, this temple sure has seen better days," Joey commented.
"Definitely creepy," Mai said.
"Yeah, let's try and stick together," Yugi said. I nodded in agreement. Soon we reached a pair of huge wooden doors

Author's Note... Just a two more chapters until Season Two. So tell me.. What has been your favorite part of Season One?