Chapter 8: Socializing

(Athena's POV)
I'm currently walking to school, I've got a lot on my mind, it's rather obvious that I'm not doing too good if you look at me. I've got eye bags that could rival Aizawa's which was definitely concerning, I probably got three hours of sleep or less. I'm also quite the night owl so you can imagine how late it was until I finally passed out.

I spent last night crying, I don't exactly know why but I have this problem where my brain thinks about everything I've ever done wrong. It just so happens that I'm trying to sleep when it decides to do this, I tell myself my friends don't need me. That they're avoiding me and that I'm a disappointment, not like I'd ever tell someone about this.

I just want comfort, to be honest, I've never really been a romantic because I have trust issues for obvious reasons. However, something about having another person to hold you in their arms and tell you everything's going to be alright sounds nice. Although I'd probably creep someone out if I ever tried flirting, sad but true.

I walk into the classroom and make a beeline for my desk only to be stopped by none other than the Pomeranian himself, Katsuki. "What's up with you, you look dead," He points at me accusingly. "I feel dead, as per usual. Does it make a difference if I look the part too?" I groan. "Then ya should've stayed home ya dumbass!" He snapped.

"And miss social interaction no way! I totally want to be here, definitely want to talk to people," I reply, note the sarcasm. "My grades are more important than my mental health anyways!" I cheer, he glares at me before wandering back to his desk. "Just take care of yourself damnit..." I hear him mumble something but I couldn't catch it.

I rest my head in my arms and slowly drift off sitting at my desk, I wake up to feel someone poking me. I look up and rub my eyes and give myself a second to focus. I see a guy with yellow hair with a black lightning bolt in it which looks awesome! 'Is that natural?' I wonder. I then see the grape head standing to his left.

"Hi, I'm Kaminari Denki, this is my friend Mineta," He introduces himself along with his friend. "Oh, my name's Athena, nice to meet you, Denki, Mineta," I smile at Denki before glaring at Mineta. "M-my first name, she used my first name!" He freaks out, shaking his friend.

"Oh, sorry I guess I should've asked if it was alright first huh?" I rub the back of my neck sheepishly. "N-no it's fine! I don't mind at all!" He replies. Before I can say anything else Mineta interrupts me. "Hey, how come you used his first name but not mine?!" He complains.

"Because Denki's nice, unlike you. Pervert." I cross my arms. Denki blushes while Mineta shakes him wildly. "How come you're getting all the ladies?!" He whines. I ignore whatever strange interaction they happen to be having before walking out of the classroom.

I wander down to Class 1-B in hopes of seeing Neito again, I walk around the corner to be met with someone who also had eye bags similar to Aizawa's. I look up at him taking in his features, he had wild purple hair and a dead look similar to my own. "Sorry about that, I didn't mean to bump into you," I apologise.

"It's fine don't worry about it, I gotta get going anyways," He replies before walking off. I head over to 1-B's Classroom, and open the door slowly and cautiously, I look around to see Neito sitting down by himself. "Hey Monoma, how you doin'? 'Cause I feel dead," I walk over to Neito's desk.

"Oh, hey Athena. Yeah, I ran into one of your classmates, he's an absolute dick. He's full of himself!" He replies, I stand by his desk and immediately know who he's talking about. "You must mean Katsuki? Yeah, he's a total douche sometimes. But when you get to know him he isn't all that bad, that is of you can stand his explosive personality," I chuckle.

"Seems kind of hard to believe, but I guess I'll take your word for it," He sighs. "Hey, can I call you Neito? You see, I have difficulty with honorifics and grew up with Dad using English around the house so it's kinda confusing," I explained. He looked at me in awe, although I wasn't sure why.

"First of all, yes you can call me Neito. Second, can you speak fluent English?" He got up from his seat, I took a moment to process what he said and to find an answer to give him.

"Uh... yes? Dad speaks English often so he doesn't forget it, however, he uses Japanese more often," I quickly clarified. "That's so cool! You can diss anyone and they'd never know! Another thing, I'm really bad at English maybe you could help me out sometime?"

I then realised all the power I held, I could badmouth anyone and it could be a compliment for all they knew! "Oh my God, why did I never realise this before?! Oh, sorry about that, I got off track for a moment there."

"Yes I can tutor you for English if you'd like, you can pay me via any form of caffeine. Dad never buys any and when he does he hides it from me, he says I have an addiction but to be honest I just need it to stay awake," I sulk.

"I can relate, moving on, how's your day so far?" I then prepared myself for a long rant. "I feel dead, I probably look it too, I think I fell asleep at 5:00 am in the morning. I think I'm being ignored by my friends and I cried myself to sleep," I smiled at him. He looked concerned yet also amused.

"Yeah, so I'm having a great day," I finished, sarcasm evident in my voice. "Are you ok?" He asked, trying not to laugh at my antics. "To be honest I'm indifferent at this point, I'm surprised only Katsuki noticed earlier. Sure I feel this way often, but I'd like it if more people showed genuine concern,"

He looked at me with sympathy, Neito actually understands how I feel. Sure I've only known him for a few days but I feel like he actually cares about my wellbeing. We just click y'know? He likes me for... well, me. I feel like I could tell him anything, almost anything... I think it'd be best to wait before telling him about Dad.

I hear the bell ring and turn to Neito. "See ya later!" I wave before walking to the door. "See ya later then!" He replies, waving back at me.

I wonder what we'll be doing in class today?

(Sorry for the long wait, my teachers are merciless 😓. Feel free to point out any typos you might come across! ~Pugsrc🎉)