CHAPTER #2 | Arkham is Debilitating

I didn't do it.

I didn't do it.

Did I?

I can't tell anymore. I can't tell the difference between dream and reality.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I, Ava James, have been thrown in Arkham for the murder of my siblings.

I wish this was nothing more than a bad dream, but even I know Arkham won't go away.

Silence. Silence is comforting. Silence is calming. Silence is peaceful. I can dream in the silence without the distractions of reality.

They left me in the silence.

I was okay with that, comfortable even. But things change, don't they?

"Ms James?" Dr. Thorn called. I ignored him, trying to stay in the silence. "Ms James, I know you can hear me. We've kept you from the other inmates for a while now, it's time to work on your socializing." He said.

Ignore it. Ignore it.

He sighed. "Take her." He said to the guards. A small tear escaped my eye and I quickly wiped it away. No weaknesses. I thought to myself.

I didn't fight the guards, despite how much I didn't want to be with other inmates. I let them take me to a large room filled with noise.

Some people were mumbling, god knows what, some people were laughing, some people were screaming.

Too much noise. I want the silence.

I began to drag my feet, trying to slip away even though, deep down, I knew it wouldn't work. The guards just grabbed my arms harshly and dragged me.

They pushed me in, slamming the gate behind me. Some of the inmates looked at me in a ways that made me wanna puke. Others simply were too busy to even notice me.

I refused to look any of them in the eyes as I walked to the corner of the room, sitting at an empty table.

I stared into nothingness for a while, maybe I'd stare so much I'd disappear. I would be so lucky. I felt the eyes on me. Ignore it. I told myself.

Arkham has an atmosphere. It can make the optimistic feel hopeless. It drains you. It turns you into a shell of boredom and disappointment.

Nobody talked to me the first day, thank god. The guards took us all back to our cells.

Silence.

Calming Silence.

No... eerie silence. This is an asylum after all. Now that I've been in the same room as the others, I feel paranoid. I feel helpless. I feel anxious.

I try to ignore it, but it doesn't go away. I can't seem to sleep. I need the sleep. If don't sleep now, I'll accidentally fall asleep during the day. And that scares me more.