CHAPTER #13 | Breakfast

I walked into the dining room, seeing everyone already there. How the hell did they get up so fast? "Seriously?" I think out loud.

"Ooh! I saved you a seat, gorgeous." Jerome said, gesturing to one of the chairs.

"Um, thanks?" I said awkwardly as I sat in the chair.

"Fine job yesterday, gentlemen- and lady." I turn my head and see Theo walking down stairs holding a newspaper. "We opened big. The whole city knows your name now. So bravo, let's give ourselves a round of applause" He sets the newspaper down on the table right beside Aaron.

I don't bother to clap since I'm too busy trying to keep my eyes open. I haven't had good sleep in ages.

Theo continued. "Now that we have Gotham's attention, it's time for the Maniax to make a grand entrance."

"Wasn't that it?" Jerome asked.

"That was the overture. Now the audience is hushed, expectant. The curtain rises..."

"Then what happens?" Jerome asked.

"Then we confront Gothammites with their most primal fears, and take from them all they hold dear and sacred." Theo continued.

"Then what happens?" Jerome asked again, with a dark look over his eyes.

"Then we offer them salvation, then they are ours." Theo finished, moving away from Jerome.

"Let's get busy man." Greenwood said, then took a bite out of his donut.

"Patience. First you need to learn a little stagecraft." Theo explains. Greenwood's face falls. "Stagecraft?"

"You're going to be on TV. You have to present yourselves with style and vigor." Theo nudges Dobkins's shoulder. "Dobkins, say 'good evening ladies and gentlemen'."

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen." He says quietly. "Again, with a smile." Theo orders. Dobkins puts on a lazy smile. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen."

Theo sighs and points to Greenwood. "You."

Greenwood licks food off his fingers. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen!" He yells. "Not bad, sinister, authoritative." Theo comments, then looks at Jerome. "Jerome."

Jerome smirks and clears his throat. He stands up on the chair and holds out his arms. "Ladies and Gentlemen, good evening!" He said cartoonishly.

Theo smiles. "Very good, boyishly charming." Jerome laughed in victory. "And the laugh is fabulous, use that."

"Ava, would you like a try?" Theo asks me. I think about it and shrug. "Sure. Why not?"

I stand up and kick my chair back. I put on the most presentable smile I could and put one hand on my hip and lifted the other. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen! We are tonight's entertainment." I said darkly, then let the whole act drop and sit back in my chair. "That good enough for you?"

"Very good, Ava." He said, almost sounding surprised. "Seductive, mischievous. Very good."

I looked over and saw Jerome staring at me with a smirk. "What?" I asked. He just laughed.