Part 6 - The Statue Of Dr. Kang (V)

After Mitzner and Wagner left Dr. Kang and McAfree were quickly ushered into the largest of the complex of stone buildings that the group had originally been heading towards. The building had an unusual looking copper protrusion pointing up at a severe angle sticking out of the far side, but it otherwise looked like a relatively unsophisticated stone block construction.

Since Wagner left with Mitzner, McAfree was stuck with the equipment bag. She was taking this hardship with her usual quiet dignity.

"The one time we have a use for Wagner," she grumbled as she followed behind Dr. Kang.

They were led through a basic entryway and into a sparely furnished room towards the back.

As soon as they entered the room, the old man in the governor's rags collapsed heavily into an uncomfortable looking wood chair. His male attendant immediately began fanning him rapidly with a large leaf.

"I apologize," said the female attendant, clearly addressing Dr. Kang. "Performing like that takes everything out of Grandfather. He will need to rest for a while. I can speak for him. My name is Keely."

"The specific person with whom I speak is a trivial detail," replied Dr. Kang with a dismissive wave.

"I was able to follow most of your conversation after you commanded the rain. Your companion doesn't believe in the prophecy. Neither do you," stated Keely, bluntly.

"Oh I believe in the prophecy," said Dr. Kang, "I just have perspective on it. Your prophecy clearly consists mis-remembered instructions from your ancestors to expect to be re-absorbed into the Martian Empire."

"Who are you?" asked Keely. "How can you do the things you have done?"

"My name is Dr. Heliodore Kang. I came here in a flying ship that travels between the stars and descended from your sky to explore your world and make contact with your people, if indeed there were people here at all. I am a scientist and if anything represents the 'power of the stars' wielded by your ancestors it is science. Science allowed me to control the weather with the random tools I happened to have on me. Now I'm going to use this power to uplift your people to the height and dignity that is our species birthright. I will create a golden age the likes of which you cannot even imagine."

Keely regarded Kang inquisitively, turning her head to one side.

"All that said there's no such thing as chosen ones, prophecy is superstitious hokum, and for all intents and purposes your whole religion is a lie," continued Kang.

He turned his head slightly, almost as if to check she was still there, and then pointed to McAfree with his thumb.

"And that's McAfree. She's my assistant."

"I like it better when Wagner is around and I'm your protege," snarked McAfree.

"I don't know what to believe now," said Keely. "I didn't believe in the prophecy until today, and now when I learn it is true you tell me it is false, while at the same time saying it is true.

"To be fair time travel may have been involved," said Dr. Kang. "Although It's much more likely we're dealing with mythologized instructions to expect to reconnect to your parent civilization."

"I really do not know what to make of you," said Keely.

"Nobody does," deadpanned McAfree.

"So," said Dr. Kang. "This is a big project, pulling your tribe of backwoods yokels out of the literal muck. Let's not waste any time."

* * *

"What if we pulled out all his teeth?" offered Gul.

"That sounds good on paper but then how are we going to feed him pieces of himself?" asked Mitzner.

"Could you two not?" asked Wagner.

The three were trudging through the withered grey forest back towards the Vostok. Mitzner and Gul had decided to pass the time by concocting some pretty brutal fantasies involving Dr. Kang. Wagner didn't feel like it was a good look for either of them.

"Alright, Ensign, but I would have thought you of all people would appreciate this thought experiment," said Mitzner.

"I guess I don't take Dr. Kang's arrogance as personally as everyone else does," said Wagner. "He is who he is."

"Stockholm syndrome," said Gul, shaking his head. "Hey! I can see the Vostok."

It was true. The shuttle could be spotted up on the cliff, just through the trees.

"Good, we should be close enough for our communicators to work," said Mitzner. "Lieutenant-Commander Mitzner to the Armstrong."

There was the briefest of pauses.

"Armstrong here," came the voice of Marceaux. "Go ahead."

Author's note: Finished my entry for the open novella contest. Thank you for your patience.