Part 27 - Family Ties (V)

It took the Vostok II the better part of a standard day to fly all the way from the edge of the system down to the planet below. Once it was in the atmosphere the space traffic system took control of the autopilot and began to bring it in for a landing.

"You must be disappointed," said McAfree, sitting in the co-pilot's chair, "looks like they're not going to let you crash it."

"You better watch what you say," replied Mitzner. "I can still take back control and crash the shuttle any time I want to."

The arcology grew in size as the little shuttle approached. It looked like a basic Imperial-pattern arcology, probably built in space and dropped onto the planet from orbit, although it was covered in irregular lumps and extensions. Obviously it had been expanded upon since it's original construction.

The expansions were not just functional, they were decorative as well. Pleasing geometric shapes and statuary exalting the human form made the expansions some of the most visually interesting parts of the arcology. Mitzner always felt architecture should be beautiful as well as functional. It appeared her sister agreed with her.

The Vostok was pulled into one of the arcology's four standard shuttle bays and settled it in for a landing. The two women got out.

The shuttle bay was disused and nearly empty. It was obvious a recent attempt had been made to clean it after years of neglect. It was mostly clean but dirt hid in the corners and dark places. It made sense to Mitzner; what would an isolated people need with a shuttle bay?

The Queen, wearing the same uniform she wore in the broadcast along with a holstered pistol, was there to greet them. She was surrounded by guards wearing imperial-pattern war carapaces and carrying particle rifles. Those brought Mitzner back.

"Hey sis," said Mitzner.

The Queen smiled.

"You know I wouldn't accept disrespect of that kind from just anyone," she said. There was no malice in her words. "It's good to finally meet you in person Zarah. Care to introduce me to your guest?"

The guards exchanged looks. They apparently had been expecting a higher level of formality.

"This is Ensign Yoshiko McAfree, she's from our Science Department."

"Charmed," said McAfree.

"Not the head of your Science Department though?" asked the Queen.

McAfree laughed.

"Yeah that's not someone I think you'd want to meet. I wish I never did."

"I see," said the Queen. "Welcome to Terra, both of you. As you can imagine we don't receive many guests here. We've arranged a bit of a welcoming party. I hope you will indulge us."

"Will there be food? I haven't eaten since we got on the shuttle," said McAfree.

"Of course. We have developed quite an expansive local cuisine. What's the point of living on a planet if you can't have good food, no?"

"That sounds wonderful. We'd be honored," said Mitzner.

"I have had living quarters prepared for you," said the Queen "I'm afraid they're not very large, space is at quite a premium here, but I'm sure you'll find them comfortable. You'll have an opportunity to rest and change clothes before the party. Both quarters contain wardrobes. As I already explained the Huxley Foundation isn't remembered with great fondness here. You probably won't want to wear those uniforms."

McAfree turned slowly and gave Mitzner a look, half bemused, half withering derision. "Every. Time." the look said.

"Do the wardrobes contain pants?" asked Mitzner, on McAfree's behalf.

The Queen looked sheepish.

"They could. I could make those arrangements..."

"Ensign McAfree here isn't a big dress fan."

"That's too bad. She's really missing out."

"You're telling me!"

The Queen straightened.

"I've assigned you both guards to see to your safety while you're here. They'll show you to your rooms. I'll see you at the party, I have work I need to attend to."

"I'm sure you're very busy, thanks for having us. I'm looking forward to getting to have a long talk."

"The pleasure is all mine," said the Queen, with a smile.