Part 54 - Coincidence and Misunderstanding (XI)

President Gibson gingerly held the secret message that had been passed to him by the lost colony delegation, just before he had them righteously expelled from his office. There could be no possible misinterpretation or misunderstanding of its clear meaning.

"They're overwhelmed by our generosity in offering to annex them," he explained to his top advisers. "It's beyond their wildest dreams that they could be included in the great civilization of their homeworld. And they love their homeworld so much that they do not want to take advantage of our generosity! That's why they said all the nonsense about Terra not being the center of the human universe. It was just an emotional reaction to overwhelming guilt at the thought of being a burden on their ancestral homeworld. They were trying to push us away before they hurt us. It was a protective gesture."

The assemblage of yes-men, yes-women, and two yes-computers all nodded their heads and said "yes". The computers chirped in the affirmative.

"They want to start over and I'm inclined to let them. What they did was unacceptable but I can't help but sympathize with their motives. There is no way false Terran spies could have composed so touching and heartfelt a note."

The yes-men and women all nodded their heads and said "yes", and one of the computers chirped. The other buzzed, indicating disagreement.

One of the yes-men rose, picked up the computer, and carried it off. It was never heard from again.

* * *

The collection of guards and soldiers escorting Mitzner and her group back to their shuttle grew and grew the closer they got. They were brought to a much less spacious and more heavily armored ground car which drove them back to the plaza. It was flanked on all sides by four other black armored ground-cars full of armed men.

They were watched the entire time they moved from the car to the shuttle.

Once they were strapped in and Mitzner was checking the flight systems before take-off they received a hail from the Terradrome. Mitzner flipped a switch to put it on the screen and a scrambled colorful mess appeared.

"You never did give us those encryption keys," said Mitzner. "So..."

The picture quickly resolved into the image of President Gibson.

"I am happy to inform you that I have considered your proposal and agree to start over," he said.

Mitzner raised an eyebrow. Obviously this was some pathetic attempt to save face by pretending she had made the overture. She decided to let the baby have his bottle.

"That's very kind of you," she said.

As slowly and carefully as he could Wagner patted his breast pocket. He couldn't feel anything there. He remained perfectly calm except his pupils dilated so much they swallowed his irises.

"Since our initial meeting didn't go as smoothly as either of us had hoped I believe it would be more appropriate if I were to negotiate with your Captain herself. Therefore I would like to formally request passage for myself and a small delegation up to your starship."

"I don't know about that," said Mitzner. "It's a small shuttle. It would be cramped."

"We don't mind at all!" said President Gibson. "We'll meet you at the plaza!"

"That-" said Mitzner, but the transmission cut out.

"Fantastic," said Ensign Anhkbayar, crossing her arms.

* * *

Thanks to the bug they had successfully planted on the target back at the museum Agent Blue was able to hear that she had described something as "Fantastic." Likely the downfall of Terra.

"Target just said that Terra's Downfall would be, quote, 'Fantastic'," he said.

Agent Green made a note of this.