Part 22 - Mitzner's Card Game (IX)

McAfree sat with her feet on her chair, her knees pointed in either direction, surrounded by a pile of poker chips. She played with the stacks, picking them up and letting them fall back down one chip at a time. Each falling chip made a satisfying click noise.

"Ah yes, my precious Foundation credits. So useful out here in the dog's butthole of space. Anyone who has candy squirreled away somewhere and wants some of their money back talk to me after the game."

"The game isn't over yet McAfree," said Mitzner.

"I know it isn't," replied McAfree. "Some of you still have chips left."

"Not me, I'm out," said Takahashi. "I'm not losing any more money to that sociopath."

"I'm tapped anyway," added Solarin. "I'm out too."

"Oh come on everyone, the night is young," said Mitnzer. "You can stay for another hand."

"They're right," said Gul. "Thanks Mitzner, this was fun. We should do it again some time."

"I already feel my morale improving," said Takahashi.

"Mine hasn't," said Chen. "You all called me a liar."

"Well maybe you shouldn't lie about stupid things then," said Takahashi.

Chen dismissively waved her off.

Everyone stood up and began to pack up their belongings. They left one by one.

Wagner exited Mitzner's quarters and began walking down the hall towards his own. McAfree came running up behind him. She had her computer glasses on again.

"Wagner, wait a sec," she said.

"Yeah?" Wagner replied, turning around.

"Look, about what you said back there, I, uh," McAfree sighed. She rolled her eyes. It was obvious that taking something this seriously was causing her distress. "I want to apologize if I've been 'completely horrible' to you."

"If?" asked Wagner.

"Fine. I want to apologize for being completely horrible to you. If- or rather, given that's how you see it. I kind of thought we were friends. I'm not really good with this whole interpersonal relationship stuff. I never realized that's how you saw me."

"That's not how I see you," said Wagner. "At least it's not the whole picture. I'm really glad to hear that you see us as friends. That means a lot."

McAfree couldn't maintain eye contract. She looked away for a moment.

"Sure. Just don't let it go to your head or anything," she said, her mask of composure now fully restored. "I'm still going to heap abuse on you any time it seems appropriate or just like it would be entertaining. That's the form our friendship is going to take. I'll try not to be completely horrible in the future though."

"I'll settle for partially horrible."

"Like all I'm promising is that I won't lock you in any closets."

"So that was you?"

"I didn't say that."

"It's in the past anyway. Thanks Yoshiko."

"Don't mention it Eeerr..." McAfree genuinely tried to remember his first name. It was like Earnest or something.

"Erasmus," said Wagner.

"Right. That's where I was going to end up."

She reached out with her arm, stopped suddenly, then reconsidered and gave his shoulder an awkward squeeze before turning to leave in the other direction. Wagner knew her quarters was in the same block as his, so she must be headed for the Science Department. Or else just making sure she didn't have to walk with him. He crossed his arms and watched her go until she disappeared around a corner.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment, he thought to himself.

Wagner made his way back to his quarters alone.

Mitzner's Card Game: End