Part 33 - Family Ties (XI)

"I need a map of this area," said Mitzner, touching her ear. "Is there any way you can throw me one out here?"

"As far as I know all you have is an earpiece," replied the Queen directly into Mitzner's ear. "We don't have any earpiece-compatible maps."

"Can you send someone out to me with one? Someone with a sense of discretion. The trail has gone cold. There has to be a secret entrance around here somewhere but if I start poking randomly around looking for it I might be seen. I need a starting place."

"Where even are you?"

Mitzner looked around. She wasn't exactly sure what this place was. It was almost like an ancient sewer.

"Some kind of open-access sewer system? I'm not even sure."

"Oh I know where you are. Directly beneath the gardens. I would have thought you'd get lost down there."

"You just lack self-confidence," Mitzner quipped.

"You're going to have to head back," said the Queen, seriously. "My people would take too long to find you down there even with maps. Come back up to the gardens and I'll have someone meet you there."

"I don't like leaving this place unguarded," said Mitzner. "What if they move her to another location?"

"Unless you have a better plan you're going to have to take that risk."

Mitzner thought for a moment.

"Have there been any ransom demands?" she asked.

"Nothing yet," said the Queen.

"I don't like waiting. At least once they've made contact we can ask for proof of life."

"Listen," said the Queen, "there isn't any habitable area on this world outside this arcology, and I'm queen of it. There is nowhere they can hide from me here. I'm not going to let anything happen to your friend."

"They're doing a pretty good job of hiding from you so far," remarked Mitzner. "Tell your people to meet me with the map, I'm heading back. And heaven help them if they're late."

* * *

McAfree's wrists were held together behind her back with rope, tied much more tightly than before, as were her ankles. These two ropes were then joined together, forcing her wrists and ankles to touch.

If she had been laying on her stomach she would have called it a hog tie, but McAfree was propped up against a wall in a kneeling position. She didn't think this tie had a name.

To make matters worse her hands were facing palms out. Someone who knew what they were doing tied her up this time.

McAfree could still taste blood in her mouth from the beating she had been administered immediately after her aborted escape attempt. She probably shouldn't have shouted all that stuff about the queen. She didn't even believe if she just wanted to mess with their heads. Presumably she succeeded in at least that goal, it's just she intended to be far away by the time they were able to react.

She was now watched at all times. Currently it was Azar, sitting in a chair with a stungun across his lap and shooting daggers at her with his eyes.

It looked like her only path forward was to get inside their heads.

"Hey, uh, Azar right?" she asked.

"I'm not telling you my name," said the man who was definitely named Azar.

"I just wanted to offer you some constructive criticism. You know, for the next time you want to beat up a helpless girl. Because I have been tied up and beaten worse than this for fun."

"You shut up!" shouted Delili. It seemed out of character but McAfree didn't really know any of these people. "You're no helpless girl. You were offered humane treatment and you spit on our kindness. Now you get what you get."

"So, just so we're clear, it's fine to use inhumane, brutal treatment of people if it helps you reach your goals expediently?" asked McAfree. "Because if that's the case you people are going to need a new manifesto."

Azar shot McAfree with the stungun. The silent, invisible bolt struck her directly in the chest. Her head slumped down, but her bindings held her upright.

"Thank you," said Gar.